Why become a member? ×

NBD Dano Wild Thing.

kodiakblair

Not a really a GAS attack more a mild "quite fancy one" itch :) Over the years I've looked on and off at Danos,never really fancied
the longhorns and some of the other models are getting pricey.Never been awfy struck on short scales either but there's a quirkyness
to these things. That appeals to me big time :D

An idle look at eBay on Sunday showed nothing but I hit "save search".Monday morning alert on a Wild Thing appears.£140 or
best offer ?? It's quirky enough for me so offer in,accepted and paid for.Took about a minute.

Thoughts of couriers and hardboard basses terrified me. All groundless as the seller knew what he was about.Estimated 7 days
turned out to be nonsense,got collected yesterday and arrived today lunchtime. The what felt like empty cardboard box revealed
masses of bubblewrap,as to be expected,but the bass was sandwiched between 4" of foam underlay :o What a great way of
shipping something as fragile as this.

Dinky wee thing with killer curves.
[attachment=236138:Dano Wild Thing (1).jpg][attachment=236139:Dano Wild Thing (2).jpg]

Wonder how it'll sound with roundwounds ?

An absolute bargain and a real stunner! I've never seen that Danelectro shape before, you're making me miss my Dano '63!

It sounds like your eBay seller handles his P&P better than Danelectro themselves. When my '63 arrived (bought new, direct from them) it was in a brown cardboard box, wrapped in a single sheet of that thin foamy packing stuff with the neck supported on polystyrene.

The postie dropped something on the box as he was getting it out. Something sharp. It pierced the back of the box (which was upside down) and just nicked the bottom of the bass on the back. The tiniest amount of finish chipped off but the wood was unharmed, but I was still devastated. My first new bass, ruined! Luckily I came to my senses and realised it was no big deal on a <£200 bass. I loved it, and never worried about any future dents and dings.

How are you finding it so far? I still miss the sound from those unique pickups! Is it that lightweight frame construction?

I'm over the moon Rikki.

A wee look on TB turned up nothing much bar the Wild Thing was discontinued and some fella bleating " is it 30" or 32" " several times.

It's 30" and weighing 5lbs it's the hollow body construction. Sounding great with the flats but I've discovered Fender VI bass strings fit,you just
bin the top 2, so I've a set ordered. The seller said the scratchplate had been damaged but repaired,think it was originally white and there's a
mark round the jack socket where it looks like it was snapped. The repair is a black film stuck over the scratchplate,don't want to jinx things so
I'm thinking a white pinstripe round the edge is mod enough.

I've got a Longhorn and these things KILL with rounds! Remember, the reason John Entwistle got through so many of them in the 60s is because they came fitted with light rounds in the first place but he kept breaking them and couldn't buy spare strings.
I recorded an album a few years ago with my Longhorn - drop D through a full Ashdown rig, quite a sound!