Why become a member? ×

Geddy Lee Signature Sansamp - Tech 21

Cosmo Valdemar

I think I'll be getting one of these.

Despite already running a racked RBI, the option to run this into a two-channel set up is kind of dreamy...fundamentally, it's doing what my (other) outboard is doing (cleanish set BDDI and a GT2).

If anyone from Tech21 is reading this, is there any plan to integrate this unit with a poweramp, like the dUg model?

[quote name='dpcookson' timestamp='1488653202' post='3250850']
Can the two inputs on this be used simultaneously for dual output basses?
[/quote]

The two inputs on the back can be plugged into simultaneously but you can only toggle between them. This is because Geddy runs two wireless units so he can switch to a different instrument easily. The front input overrides the rear inputs for quickly patching in.
[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1488752189' post='3251575']
I think I'll be getting one of these.

Despite already running a racked RBI, the option to run this into a two-channel set up is kind of dreamy...fundamentally, it's doing what my (other) outboard is doing (cleanish set BDDI and a GT2).

If anyone from Tech21 is reading this, is there any plan to integrate this unit with a poweramp, like the dUg model?
[/quote]

Unlikely. Geddy has not used amps on stage for years and most likely will not in the future. Anything's possible though.

Edited by Tech21NYC

[quote name='Tech21NYC' timestamp='1488899531' post='3252759']

The two inputs on the back can be plugged into simultaneously but you can only toggle between them. This is because Geddy runs two wireless units so he can switch to a different instrument easily. The front input overrides the rear inputs for quickly patching in.
[/quote]

That's a shame! Seems backwards to me to not allow stereo signal processing when you have two parallel signal chains... But I suppose it is to Ged's spec not mine!

[quote name='dpcookson' timestamp='1488906788' post='3252837']
That's a shame! Seems backwards to me to not allow stereo signal processing when you have two parallel signal chains... But I suppose it is to Ged's spec not mine!
[/quote]

Geddy does not run the signal at equal levels which makes stereo (for him) a moot point. I don't think he even runs the Deep channel to his in-ears. That's really more the "DI" signal for the real low end the PA produces. Bass for the most part is rarely run in stereo. You can, but those lower registers are omni-directional which will not translate well in stereo.For a big live show, stereo is kind of pointless unless you can get the entire audience to somehow sit in the middle of the venue.

Edited by Tech21NYC

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1488905578' post='3252823']
Indeed - Good though innit. He must've been knackered loading all them in and out.
[/quote]

And hauling lights for a four hour show...

:Milwaukee:

[quote name='Tech21NYC' timestamp='1488911451' post='3252891']

Geddy does not run the signal at equal levels which makes stereo (for him) a moot point. I don't think he even runs the Deep channel to his in-ears. That's really more the "DI" signal for the real low end the PA produces. Bass for the most part is rarely run in stereo. You can, but those lower registers are omni-directional which will not translate well in stereo.For a big live show, stereo is kind of pointless unless you can get the entire audience to somehow sit in the middle of the venue.
[/quote]

I think I was misleading by using the word 'stereo'. I meant to imply that I would have liked two simultaneous inputs and outputs so two different signals could be processed, just like you could do if you owned both the rpm and rbi. I have no interest in panning the signals.

Regardless I'm sure you have produced a good product, just misses the mark for my niche requirements.

[quote name='Tech21NYC' timestamp='1488911451' post='3252891']
[/quote]True, there is little point having speakers on both side of the stage too as it just adds more nodes and causes dead spots as well as high spots in the audience.

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1489249841' post='3255500']
They sound great, could I get one just to plug into my interface or would I need a separate power amp for that?

Shame there's no Poweramps along side it, what power amp would be recommended for this pre?
[/quote]

You can go directly into your interface with the unit. You would never use a power amp into any interface that I'm aware of. You can hook the GED-2112 into whatever amp you want. A stand alone power amp (tube or solid state) the efx return of front end of a traditional amp. Geddy alway's uses in-ears so there was no consideration for a matching power amp for this product.

• 1 month later...

Subbed, liking the idea of this. I do have a few questions for Tech 21 if you can answer them, thanks for all of your information so far!

What's the output voltage? I'd be looking to pair it with a QSC that ideally wants 1.1V

How much of a chew on is setting the internal jumper?

Subbed, liking the idea of this. I do have a few questions for Tech 21 if you can answer them, thanks for all of your information so far!

What's the output voltage? I'd be looking to pair it with a QSC that ideally wants 1.1V

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1492624720' post='3281777']

[/quote]

It will easily drive that amp. The deal is with any amp you don't want to be running the amp at it's maximum wattage. You will have no headroom for transients. Most modern digital amps have internal limiting to prevent overload but they aren't foolproof.

Changing the jumpers is fairly easy. You just take off the top of the unit and change the position. There will be instructions when the production units ship.

Thanks!

Quite excited to get one of these actually, it'll be my first Sansamp.

I know the unit is already done and I know it was done for Geddy not me, but I realyl can't help thinking that one (or two, if you wanted trs and xlr) more outputs on the back for a 'blend' output would have been such a useful feature. Or even a switch the does what the jumper will on the back of the unit.

Edit- Just seen [url="https://www.thomann.de/gb/millenium_sml_21.htm"]this[/url] which claims to combine 2 line level signals.

Edited by Jack

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1492699412' post='3282488']
Thanks!
I know the unit is already done and I know it was done for Geddy not me, but I realyl can't help thinking that one (or two, if you wanted trs and xlr) more outputs on the back for a 'blend' output would have been such a useful feature. Or even a switch the does what the jumper will on the back of the unit.
[/quote]

I was kind of thinking this when I read T21's earlier post about taking the top off.

If it's as good as most of their kit, I'm sure once you dial in your ideal tone (top off first or otherwise), it'll need minimal tweaking thereafter.

Still really looking forward to this. Hurry up!

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1499525122' post='3332025']
So......

Are any of these out in the wild yet?
What are you pairing it with?

General overview please...
[/quote]

Only seems to be available in the US at present.

There's a video on You Tube with the GED2112 running into the effects returns on a pair of Orange heads...as the .pdf manual isn't up online, I'd be interested in finding out if the unit can be run in mono or whether it requires a stereo poweramp. Anyone from Tech21 reading?

Edited by NancyJohnson

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1499700621' post='3333004']
I'd be interested in finding out if the unit can be run in mono or whether it requires a stereo poweramp. Anyone from Tech21 reading?
[/quote]
https://www.talkbass.com/threads/coming-soon-tech21-geddy-lee-signature-sansamp.1249586/page-9#post-20172331

Maybe I'm just jumping to a (too early) conclusion, but an internal jumper? Sheesh.

Okay...so this kind of answers that it can be used in single cabinet set-ups, but if you want to switch (quickly) to a dual channel application; do you need to take the unit out of the rack, take it apart and move the jumper? In the main, I would be using it through a single enclosure, but I do run a stereo poweramp and I can run dual cabinets.

Surely it would have been simpler to have i) an external switch, ii) external jumpers (via patch cable), iii) a dedicated mono output socket or iv) circuitry that identifies what's plugged into either of the effected outputs (ie if only one jack is plugged in, it outputs a combined signal).

I'll still end up with one of these I guess, but the internal jumper seems a bit of a pain.

Edited by NancyJohnson

That's pathetic. Internal jumpers? A switch, Tech21 you total idiots! Put a switch on the back! Did that really save so much r&d time when that got tossed off?

I await the price difference from their importer screwing us, meaning it costs twice over here what it does in the US. Dug ultra bass in US $1600. UK? £2600.

The Geddy will probably be the same.