Why become a member? ×

Geddy Lee Signature Sansamp - Tech 21

Cosmo Valdemar

I'll try and get more info about the jumpers - here's a shot (borrowed from Talkbass) showing the jumper. The jumper on the left (where it says 'TIE') is currently in position 2/3 (default is 1/2). This will blend both channels into monaural.

Manual is up:
[url="http://www.tech21nyc.com/support/manuals/sansamp/GED_2112_OM.pdf"]http://www.tech21nyc...GED_2112_OM.pdf[/url]

I suppose it would be simple to get an electrician to mod the unit with an external mini switch on the rear to do a quick change between single/dual channel operation OR buy a small/Mooer ABY and blend the signal post-unit before hitting the power-amp.

Edited by NancyJohnson

I feel your pain with a dUg amp. What beggars belief is that for an amp that expensive why or why is there not universal voltage, it's a bit silly.

Still theby are doing a dUg pre-amp which hopefully should hit within a year.
I hear it will be definitely priced under £500, and probably even lower so we can add it's tone to what we already have

[quote name='Wolverinebass' timestamp='1499759866' post='3333331']
That's pathetic. Internal jumpers? A switch, Tech21 you total idiots! Put a switch on the back! Did that really save so much r&d time when that got tossed off?...
[/quote]

Kind of an overreaction and rude response. Anonymity seems to bring out the worst in people...
The GED-2112 was designed to Geddy's specifications. It's set up for the way he uses it. There are workarounds through...

The dUg can be ordered for use with different voltages. If you have a US version a qualified tech can set it up for use in a different country.

[quote name='Tech21NYC' timestamp='1499793902' post='3333674']
Kind of an overreaction and rude response. Anonymity seems to bring out the worst in people...
The GED-2112 was designed to Geddy's specifications. It's set up for the way he uses it. There are workarounds through...

The dUg can be ordered for use with different voltages. If you have a US version a qualified tech can set it up for use in a different country.
[/quote]

People of Tech21NYC, could you verify whether the ABY box method would work?

[/quote]

Whilst I can't defend Wolverine's stupid comment, it does seem as though 100% of the bassists on here have said they would have massively preferred a switch to an internal jumper. I know I would.

You're right, you designed it for Geddy and not for us, but still, we're the ones who'll be buying it. Or not.

[/quote]

Well, having a bad day, so a bit more tetchy than normal. Apologies.

Fair enough it's designed for Geddy. I think it sounds great. However, not everyone uses 2 cabs do they? Some people might still want that sound, but use a mono, single cab system.

I just don't get why you'd leave it so you have to take it apart to change this when I assume it's not a big deal to put a button on the front or back to change the setting. Say for a gig in mono, but recording in stereo? I just prefer flexibility.

Maybe that reads as more of a legitimate concern than what I posted.

People of Tech21NYC, in Wolverine/Andy's defence, he is a lovely bloke, a great player and every time we meet we always discuss your gear.

He's very passionate about your stuff (probably more than me...) and I know the UK price of the dUg head is probably eating away at him every day.

Edited by NancyJohnson

[quote name='Wolverinebass' timestamp='1499759866' post='3333331']
I await the price difference from their importer screwing us, meaning it costs twice over here what it does in the US. Dug ultra bass in US $1600. UK? £2600.
[/quote]

Is it not possible to order this directly from a US supplier and add VAT when it comes into the UK? Using a round £1: $1.30 that comes to about £1,475 incl. VAT. Add in transport costs and you get to the more expected £1,600 UK price for a $1,600 US piece of kit. (Even allowing for a decent importer mark up (say £400) the price shouldn't be any more than £2,000 and, anyway, you would save the £400 if you were importing it yourself).

Edited by Al Krow

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1499842440' post='3333924']
Is it not possible to order this directly from a US supplier and add VAT when it comes into the UK? Using a round £1: $1.30 that comes to about £1,475 incl. VAT. Add in transport costs and you get to the more expected £1,600 UK price for a $1,600 US piece of kit. (Even allowing for a decent importer mark up (say £400) the price shouldn't be any more than £2,000 and, anyway, you would save the £400 if you were importing it yourself).
[/quote]

One thing you'd need to factor in as well is the voltage; if Andy were to import (from a supplier, ie Sweetwater), the US models are made to work off a 110/120v power supply, so you'd either need to get a (bulky) step down unit or get T21 to assist with converting it to run off a 220/240v power source. I don't know whether this involves simply flipping something internally, or a whole new PSU.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1499794584' post='3333683']
People of Tech21NYC, could you verify whether the ABY box method would work?
[/quote]

If by ABY box you mean running it in reverse, sending the outputs of the preamp to the inputs of the ABY and using the i/o ports as the output it can work. It will depend on the ABY box though.

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1499795254' post='3333691']
Whilst I can't defend Wolverine's stupid comment, it does seem as though 100% of the bassists on here have said they would have massively preferred a switch to an internal jumper. I know I would.

You're right, you designed it for Geddy and not for us, but still, we're the ones who'll be buying it. Or not.
[/quote]

For those that wish to reconfigure the product they can contact our support staff for instructions. [email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email]
[quote name='Wolverinebass' timestamp='1499796865' post='3333704']
Well, having a bad day, so a bit more tetchy than normal. Apologies.

Fair enough it's designed for Geddy. I think it sounds great. However, not everyone uses 2 cabs do they? Some people might still want that sound, but use a mono, single cab system.

I just don't get why you'd leave it so you have to take it apart to change this when I assume it's not a big deal to put a button on the front or back to change the setting. Say for a gig in mono, but recording in stereo? I just prefer flexibility.

Maybe that reads as more of a legitimate concern than what I posted.
[/quote]

I actually don't offend easily. No need to apologize. :rolleyes:

In the end it wouldn't be a GED-2112 preamp had we changed the existing format.

Edited by Tech21NYC

[quote name='Tech21NYC' timestamp='1499873520' post='3334240']
If by ABY box you mean running it in reverse, sending the outputs of the preamp to the inputs of the ABY and using the i/o ports as the output it can work. It will depend on the ABY box though.
[/quote]

Something small...a Morley/Fender ABY, or maybe a Mooer, which is teensy-weenie. This would satiate the mono output. In a live context, I'd just run a pair of XLRs to front of house.

There is no easy answer. Usually with a passive ABY it should work. If the ABY is buffered it probably won't. I've used an old Whirlwind ABY like this and it works fine with pedals. With rack mount units not so much. It seems there is some bleed through. You might be better off with a small passive mixer.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 years later...