Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Evo iv 600

nash

[quote name='Deedee' timestamp='1486205147' post='3230007']

Nice one. Look forward to hearing your thoughts
[/quote]

I had the EVO III and it was great with a pick but I couldn't get the tightness and bite I get from my TE AH600-12 when using my fingers, so it went. EVO IV sounds like an improvement going by the limited reviews. Shame no one has done a useful YouTube video.

Practice is off but just had a quick go on the EVO IV... first impression is it's tight and punchy. Going from memory it has a different feel to the sound compared to the EVO III and that's with dead strings and fingers. Roll on next practice that's when I really know what's what.

[quote name='2elliot' timestamp='1486494553' post='3232296']
Practice is off but just had a quick go on the EVO IV... first impression is it's tight and punchy. Going from memory it has a different feel to the sound compared to the EVO III and that's with dead strings and fingers. Roll on next practice that's when I really know what's what.
[/quote]

Keep us posted :)

• 2 weeks later...

Slam... that sort of describes it. Heavy Slam, it sounds a lot better than the EVO III I had, the eq seems more accurate and it's loud through a Barefaced 4x10.

I have the pre shape button out, so a bass heavy scoop? Then cut the bass and boost the life out of the mids. It works great with fingers but be careful as the eq is very powerful. Oh, the treble knob doesn't do a great deal.

I haven't really had chance to try the drive, not interested in the octaver thing but did use the compressor to smooth things out.

I'm impressed. I need a bit more time with the eq and drive though... It's not a Trace Elliot and doesn't sound like one, it sounds like an Ashdown and that's what I need to work with.

Go try one, you can than me later...

[quote name='2elliot' timestamp='1487408828' post='3239518']
Slam... that sort of describes it. Heavy Slam, it sounds a lot better than the EVO III I had, the eq seems more accurate and it's loud through a Barefaced 4x10.

I have the pre shape button out, so a bass heavy scoop? Then cut the bass and boost the life out of the mids. It works great with fingers but be careful as the eq is very powerful. Oh, the treble knob doesn't do a great deal.

I haven't really had chance to try the drive, not interested in the octaver thing but did use the compressor to smooth things out.

I'm impressed. I need a bit more time with the eq and drive though... It's not a Trace Elliot and doesn't sound like one, it sounds like an Ashdown and that's what I need to work with.

Go try one, you can thank me later...
[/quote]

Oh, the treble knob doesn't do a great deal.
[/quote]

That`s my thoughts too - I actually thought mine was broken when I got it as the treble didn`t seem to do much. However the 5k on the graphic really adds in the highs.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1487414522' post='3239594']

That`s my thoughts too - I actually thought mine was broken when I got it as the treble didn`t seem to do much. However the 5k on the graphic really adds in the highs.
[/quote]

Ah it's not just me then. I managed to try one out at PMT in Nottingham last weekend. I was playing a Stingray and had to really crank up the treble on the bass to brighten it up. Certainly sounded better than other Ashdowns I've tried, but for my tastes didn't really float my boat.

Go try one, you can than me later...
[/quote]

Exactly my experience........

I find that if you add a bit of valve drive in it seems to bring the treble through a bit more - around 9/10 o'clock on the dial does it for me. Thickens up a bit too but adds a bit of 'clang' too. If you want a tighter more clinical sound leave it off completely.

• 6 months later...

[color=#000000][font=verdana, sans-serif][size=3]Holy Moly! This [/size][/font][/color][url="https://www.facebook.com/AshdownBassAmps/?fref=mentions"]Ashdown Engineering[/url][color=#000000][font=verdana, sans-serif][size=3] ABM600 is REALLY great sounding! After having played the original Evo, Evo 2, Evo3 and Klystron amps, this one is a superb upgrade! [/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=verdana, sans-serif][size=3]It will probably become my main amp.[/size][/font][/color]