Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Evo iv 600

nash

I picked one up on Xmas Day, at a very nice price, have been very impressed with it. I`ve used a lot of different Ashdown amps as provided rigs, loved them all, and this one is no different, for the first time in a long time I`m totally satisfied with my amp.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1484827917' post='3218798']
I picked one up on Xmas Day, at a very nice price, have been very impressed with it. I`ve used a lot of different Ashdown amps as provided rigs, loved them all, and this one is no different, for the first time in a long time I`m totally satisfied with my amp.
[/quote]

Good to know.

I've got an OB-1 500 at the moment and I find it almost too harsh at times. I think it's a super mid focused amp. Plus I keep my amp and pedalboard in a Peli case now so the Ashdown gets extra points as it has its own casing.

I kinda mentioned it elsewhere, but there is an Ashdown Klystron 1200 (yes 1200) for sale on a Facebook group.
The guy is in Chapmanslade, Wiltshire, great bassist with Who's Next.

Don't know if that is something you would be considering in going back to Ashdown, but at £450 it seems very good value.

I had the 500 Klystron for a while and it was staggering.

[quote name='nash' timestamp='1484825285' post='3218759']
I'm thinking about switching to Ashdown again. I've not played the newest model. Any opinions on them?
[/quote]

I have an ABM600 Evo IV RC and have been using it for about a year live.

Sounds a bit tighter than the old EVOiii (that was too whumpy for my taste - i couldn't get any definition out of it) and has some proper slam going on! I believe it has a different power section and some different eq points to previous ABM's.

Don't be scared to really crank the eq to get some treble/mids back into it - it doesn't really do subtle changes. I leave the compressor and sub octave completely off and dial in some valve to taste.

It also sounds good with the scoop engaged and a load of mids dialled back in via the eq - a bit illogical but it sounds different (in a good way) from just switching the scoop off. It sounds massive when you run it like this.

Edited by Mudpup

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1484858656' post='3219236']
Any idea if the RM-EVO amps have similar eq points to the ABM 3 or 4 or neither?
[/quote]

I originally went to buy a Rootmaster but came away with an unplanned ABM600 instead - it sounds very different imho when played right next to each other.
Bigger, fatter and slammier (i made that last word up btw.....) and i think it really shows the class D difference up

[quote name='bassix' timestamp='1484981929' post='3220128']
I went from abm to root master via a gk mb fusion, couldn't be much happier. That said, if I drove to my gigs I'd probably get the abm. The sound is better but not massively, depends on how important portability is to you.
[/quote]

Agree Liam, the ABM just has a little "more" to it, but the RM is a cracking amp - remember it was hearing yours that pushed me to buy mine.

🤔 hmmm. I'm a bit of an old Trace nut, but I'm intrigued by these after reading some reviews.

I know there's some historical link between the two companies (personnel etc), but my only experience of using an Ashdown was not a pleasant one. I felt that the general feel of the build quality was poor and the actual sound was somewhere between muddy and mush.

That was however a good few years ago and to be fair I didn't spend a great deal of time messing with the settings. Perhaps I need to revisit and reevaluate these heads with an open mind.

Edited by Deedee

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1485125262' post='3221457']
From my experience The ABMS stuff is built like a tank .
[/quote]

It may have been just a bad experience with the one I tried, but honestly I thought a good draught could have turned the knobs.

I'm usually one of the "woolly" ashdown "meh" group having had an EB180, Mag300 and rpm/APM pre power setup which either sounded crap, were unreliable or both. However the last ashdown I did use (one of the 550 klystrons I think) was perfectly adequate although I suspect it helped that it was going through a BFM cab..

Had a go through one of these the other day with the matching 4x10. Was really impressed, I used to think that Ashdown were woolly lumps but this had a real crisp-ness and bite. A little bottom heavy, but roll off the bass control and that was tamed. Lots of volume on tap. Well worth trying. This was at guitarguitar in Epsom btw, good shop and the staff were friendly.

[quote name='StephenYork' timestamp='1485418676' post='3223759']
Had a go through one of these the other day with the matching 4x10. Was really impressed, I used to think that Ashdown were woolly lumps but this had a real crisp-ness and bite. A little bottom heavy, but roll off the bass control and that was tamed. Lots of volume on tap. Well worth trying. This was at guitarguitar in Epsom btw, good shop and the staff were friendly.
[/quote]

Good to know they stock them. A friend works there so I may pop in next time in London bound.