Why become a member? ×

Ashdown 2017

Bigwan

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1484834505' post='3218906']
The Origin amp looks ace but is missing one thing (IMO) which makes the headphone socket really useful - an aux input.
[/quote]

Yup. Why would you EVER have one without the other...

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1484839226' post='3218980']
The Origin is only 300W....I'm not sure why they went that route for? Where does it sit with their current lineup?

Nice to see them offering limited versions of their amps and a few other new bits. If I had to start again I think I'd get some Ashdown kit.
[/quote]

I'm extremely interested in the Origin amp.
I get the impression that although this might be rated low by modern class D standards, I know that Mark at Ashdown isn't the biggest fan of class D stuff, so I'd guess the power section here might be something different, either that or an extremely conservatively rated (i.e. honest) class D effort.

If this isn't too pricey, and assuming my thoughts on the power section are true, I'll be pre-ordering one of these!

Eude

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1484845555' post='3219054']
I'm extremely interested in the Origin amp.
I get the impression that although this might be rated low by modern class D standards, I know that Mark at Ashdown isn't the biggest fan of class D stuff, so I'd guess the power section here might be something different, either that or an extremely conservatively rated (i.e. honest) class D effort.

If this isn't too pricey, and assuming my thoughts on the power section are true, I'll be pre-ordering one of these!

Eude
[/quote]

I dunno. Reading through some of the literature on other sites "[font=Roboto, serif][size=5]The Origin comes complete with auto protect voltage for global touring musicians" [/size][/font]screams class D to me. I don't ever recall seeing a non-class D amp with that feature.

It also looks a little small for a toroidal tranny the size you'd need for an "old school" 300 watts.

Edited by Bigwan

Pedal looks great, although the 'showtime' switch kicks in a 'smiley face' EQ apparently? I'd be interested to see how that sounds in a mix. Nice to see a DI out on it. 18v power though. Could be a serious Sansamp competitor?

I wonder also what the pricing on the B Social Lite will be? Good to see they've put a grill over that 5" speaker this time!

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1484899375' post='3219452']
I dunno. Reading through some of the literature on other sites "[font=Roboto, serif][size=5]The Origin comes complete with auto protect voltage for global touring musicians" [/size][/font]screams class D to me. I don't ever recall seeing a non-class D amp with that feature.

It also looks a little small for a toroidal tranny the size you'd need for an "old school" 300 watts.
[/quote]

I know the older MarkBass LittleMark's had a switch mode power supply right, but they wheren't class D?
I'm really not very clued up on all this, but I think they were class A/B, and certainly sounded a lot nicer than their newer class D ones...

Cheers,
Ewan

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1484909210' post='3219560']
I know the older MarkBass LittleMark's had a switch mode power supply right, but they wheren't class D?
I'm really not very clued up on all this, but I think they were class A/B, and certainly sounded a lot nicer than their newer class D ones...

Cheers,
Ewan
[/quote]

You're right about the Class A/B and switch mode supply on the little mark, but I think it was still a fixed voltage. If I recall correctly you had to change internal jumper settings to change the supply voltage between USA and Europe supply ranges.

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1484910515' post='3219570']
You're right about the Class A/B and switch mode supply on the little mark, but I think it was still a fixed voltage. If I recall correctly you had to change internal jumper settings to change the supply voltage between USA and Europe supply ranges.
[/quote]

Hmmm. Oh well.
I'm hoping that if it is class D, it's very conservatively rated then :)
I miss the days when you could gig with a 100W old school amp, all this class D stuff and using power rating as a marketing tool has just left me confused.

Eude

Nobody conservatively rates class D in my experience (I can hear the worm can being opened!). The Orange Terror is the only one I've played that felt it was anywhere close. Haven't played any of the newer generation stuff though (700/800/900 watt offerings).

Yep, the LMIII had a board-mounted jumper for voltage setting. I had one from the States, and converted it. A slightly clenchy moment, but all good... :D

The new 800w power amp in the Magellan (and a few more, I'm sure) is a helluva thing. Ina good way. Having said that, I pay very little attention to the numbers, there are too many other factors, especially cab sizes, numbers and sensitivity - I rely on my ears. And also because I've no idea what 300w sounds like...or 500w...or 800w.

Edited by Muzz

I just look at the quoted 4ohm rated power...and half it. I think the sound of micro amps has improved a lot recently, and there is a lot less hiss than the EA and AI amps I had several years ago. I've been using a Retroglide for a while now - it's very good as long as you view it as a power amp with a graphic in front, with no real voicing. The Origin looks very interesting, as long as it has some decent headroom. Only one way to find out 😳

Ashdown have a tendency to introduce amps then scrap them after a year or so. Remember the superfly, little giant, Mibass Version one and two. They come and they go.

I think they just bring them in to pander to people's GAS. After all, there's no point in making just one really good bass amp, that will be the only bass amp anyone will ever need and is really reliable. You'd soon go out of business if you did that.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1484954119' post='3220068']
Ashdown have a tendency to introduce amps then scrap them after a year or so. Remember the superfly, little giant, Mibass Version one and two. They come and they go.

I think they just bring them in to pander to people's GAS. After all, there's no point in making just one really good bass amp, that will be the only bass amp anyone will ever need and is really reliable. You'd soon go out of business if you did that.
[/quote] It can sometimes give people the wrong idea that they dropped the product because it's not very good ,The ABM1000 & ABM neo cabs are excellent