Why become a member? ×

Tired Drivers???

Twincam

I have a peavey tvx 410 (4 ohm) it must be one of the first ones I think. Its old anyhow.
I've removed the tweeter as I don't like them and the associated lp filter these have has been removed too. Its just straight to a jack now.

It sounds alright I like the tone and seems to put out a fair amount of volume which I'm surprised as its not a modern efficient cab.
However there is a noise kind of like a very very faint distortion or grainyness after the notes that you can hear mostly when directly in front of the cab, at other angles you can't hear it hardly or not at all. And in any mix its unnoticeable and in some ways its not unpleasant but I know its there and soon as I hear something that's it! lol.

The cab seems solid enough and I've removed the grill. I've pressed on the drivers and I'm sure there's no coil rub. And I'm sure it's not any wires in there. The noise gets no worse turning up, it does get louder but stays the same level relative to the bass notes at all volumes, if you get my meaning.
I've tried my amp with another cab and no issues, no distortion at all. Although it is an 8 ohm cab maybe the amp doesn't like the 4ohm peavey? (old mag 300).

So I'm thinking maybe the drivers are just a bit tired?
Any ideas, thoughts?

The specs of the Sheffield drivers are not great at all, I'm thinking of changing them out. Maybe they don't like the extra highs they have to now deal with now the lp filter was removed.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1484834379' post='3218904']
The amp is far more likely the source of that noise than the speakers.
[/quote]

Maybe but as said with a different cab it was totally fine. Although its a different ohm cab.
Could they amp simple not like 4 ohm?

I think the next step is to test the cab with another amp. I will see if someone local can borrow me one.

It's probably just a little resonance you didn't know was there. All speakers have lot's of little resonances and if you hit certain frequencies the can seem to jump out at you. It may be that it is just bad luck that it coincides with something the amp or your bass is doing and emphasizing something that was there unnoticed all the time. Without hearing it it is difficult to say. The fact you only hear it head on suggests it's quite directional which you'd expect with a 4x10.

Actually a lot of older cabs are more efficient than modern ones and your amp will be fine with 4 ohms.

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1484840498' post='3218996']
It's probably just a little resonance you didn't know was there. All speakers have lot's of little resonances and if you hit certain frequencies the can seem to jump out at you. It may be that it is just bad luck that it coincides with something the amp or your bass is doing and emphasizing something that was there unnoticed all the time. Without hearing it it is difficult to say. The fact you only hear it head on suggests it's quite directional which you'd expect with a 4x10.

Actually a lot of older cabs are more efficient than modern ones and your amp will be fine with 4 ohms.
[/quote]

Maybe to the resonance although it is there on every note. Which I thought might imply a mechanical driver issue. Rather than resonance which I possibly wrongly assume would more likely only effect certain notes etc?

The top two drivers seem to be making the noise more than the bottom two. I suppose I could hook up the drivers individualaly and give them a listen separate also.

Maybe the screws/bolts/T-nuts holding the drivers to the front baffle are less then secure. Make sure they're all tight. Don't tighten them excessively, just evenly and firmly. Also tie up & secure any sagging wires. Have you filled in the old tweeter aperture?

I managed to destroy a B/W 15" speaker very rapidly in one three minute number. Cause was failed glue where the cone meets the cast frame. There was a 'buzz' which rapidly became a terminated speaker. Not even playing at any serious volume. Further inspection revealed widespread glue failure. I suepect the cause was age, speaker was about 33 years old, well used by me from new.

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1484862420' post='3219294']
I managed to destroy a B/W 15" speaker very rapidly in one three minute number. Cause was failed glue where the cone meets the cast frame. There was a 'buzz' which rapidly became a terminated speaker. Not even playing at any serious volume. Further inspection revealed widespread glue failure. I suepect the cause was age, speaker was about 33 years old, well used by me from new.
[/quote]

this is common with the old BW's (Black Widows), it also happens where the domed dust cap joins the cones. I've stuck a few of these (surrounds and dust caps) back down with Copydex a latex based adhesive, The oldest repair is about eight years old and the speaker is still going strong. I'm not sure if the Sheffields use the same original adhesive but there's no harm in checking.

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1484862420' post='3219294']
Further inspection revealed widespread glue failure.
[/quote]That could be the case for the OP as well. If visual inspection doesn't show a problem the best way to identify it is to test the drivers individually out of the cabinet using sine waves.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1484834379' post='3218904']
The amp is far more likely the source of that noise than the speakers.
[/quote]
Totally. I had an Arsedown Evo which always had that very slight 'fizzing' at the tail end of a note. Tried two other different amps with my cabs and completely clean. Curiously enough, one of their 'After Eight' 15 watters fizzed too even through an extension cab.

[quote name='LITTLEWING' timestamp='1484941592' post='3219957']

Totally. I had an Arsedown Evo which always had that very slight 'fizzing' at the tail end of a note. Tried two other different amps with my cabs and completely clean. Curiously enough, one of their 'After Eight' 15 watters fizzed too even through an extension cab.
[/quote]

I've tried it with another cab it doesn't have that problem. Although I do think an abm 500 I owned had a little fizz/grit at the tail end of some notes.