Why become a member? ×

Fret Wraps

Bass_Guardian

[quote name='Bass_Guardian' timestamp='1484842244' post='3219015']
Hi all,

What's the purpose of fret wraps on basses? Is it just for tapping solos or does it help compress slapping a bit?

Opinions and experiences welcome!

On a side note, I think they look pretty cool!
[/quote]

Easiest way to explain its main use is with this video...

https://www.facebook.com/sheldon.dingwall/videos/10154938728806079/

As you can see, the bottom string is played but the middle string vibrates sympathetically (i.e., the resonance frequencies are similar so the vibration from the string that is being attacked triggers the vibration in the other string) and the fret wrap dampens this. This is useful for getting nice, clean notes when recording. Of course, some people prefer sympathetic resonance but fret wraps exist to try to eliminate it.

Edited by skej21

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1484862031' post='3219284']
Indeed, but what advantage do they offer over muting the unused strings with your hands ?
[/quote]

The advantage is that they mute when you are unable too. For example playing quick riffs over several strings where your left hand cannot create a Barre/mute those string that are open

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1484862305' post='3219291']
The advantage is that they mute when you are unable too. For example playing quick riffs over several strings where your left hand cannot create a Barre/mute those string that are open
[/quote]

I can't imagine a situation where I couldn't mute, but that may be down to the techniques I use (or more pertinently, don't use !)

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1484862031' post='3219284']

Indeed, but what advantage do they offer over muting the unused strings with your hands ?
[/quote]

I suppose the answer would depend on how the individual feels they would benefit. If you play quick 16th lines like Jaco or do tapping or something, I imagine they work pretty well for covering any muting you might occasionally miss (through speed or from not being able to mute and tap at the same time)? I have one that I use when recording as it just does the same job as palm muting but without restricting my technique (as palm muting as a technique has a very distinct sound) but muting any extra ringing whilst being able to strike the string with alternative techniques to palm muting is useful for me sometimes.

It's like anything. They have a purpose and if you think it'd be helpful, get one. If not, don't get one. Simple really. I was just trying to help the OP by explaining how it works.

Edited by skej21