Why become a member? ×

NBD - 74 Precision Olympic White

Bridgehouse

Popped an ad in the WTB section for an early/mid 70's Precision. Ideally I was looking for a Year of Birth. Since getting back into bass recently, I was reminded of my early bass playing days, and my longing desire to get hold of a YOB (74) Precision in Olympic White.

Got a PM from a member here (dafonky) who revealed his ace card - a '74 Precision in Olympic White. Well, what a gent. Loads of pictures, really super communications, and a great price. Shipped it all the way over from the continent in a bulletproof box.

It's clearly had a good life and has been very well used :D but as the Vintage experts always say - if an instrument has been played to death then it's probably a good 'un. And this one certainly is! Pick guard was cracked near the jack (common!) and the knobs were de-chroming quite severely, so I've taken them off and tucked them up in the OHSC and popped a new guard and knobs on, along with some strap locks. This one is intended to be my workhorse when I start gigging again.

Weighs in at a smidge over 8lb 3oz on my scales. Neck is super straight and frets are well looked after. Popped some TI flat wounds on and gave the truss rod a tweak and the action has settled in at just over 4/64 across the board.

Pots and Pups check out as mid-74 from the stamps, and the serial number is probably mid-late 74.

I flippin' love it. Thump thump thump thump thump :lol:

[quote name='gareth' timestamp='1484851304' post='3219133']
Would look good with a white guard
[/quote]

Heh - don't get me started - I umm'd and aaah'd about what to replace the original with and stuck with a direct replacement bwb.

Main reason? 74 was the first year of bwb so I decided to show it off :)

Edited by Bridgehouse

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1484852674' post='3219158']
Lovely looking thing, very Dee Dee Ramone,which is a very good thing by the way.
[/quote]

Back in the early 90s when I played bass first time round, Dee Dee Ramone was exactly the reason I wanted a 74 P in Oly White with a black guard!!

[quote name='Bridgehouse' timestamp='1484852129' post='3219148']

Heh - don't get me started - I umm'd and aaah'd about what to replace the original with and stuck with a direct replacement bwb.

Main reason? 74 was the first year of bwb so I decided to show it off :)
[/quote] this is what i was thinking

[IMG]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r100/garethadavies/79%20White%20Precision/DSC00694.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='gareth' timestamp='1484857660' post='3219227']
this is what i was thinking

[IMG]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r100/garethadavies/79%20White%20Precision/DSC00694.jpg[/IMG]
[/quote]

I see what you are saying.. I do.. maybe I should get a few and swap and change now and again...

My other thought was slapping a hipshot xtender on it

Been playing it some more now. Needed another quick truss rod tweak as it settled after shipping, and it seems to have stabilised well now.

Really liking the TI flatwounds on it - I know a lot of ppl think they are a bit 'rubber band' and they certainly are lower tension compared to the Chromes but I really like the sound.

It's probably not typical for a early/mid 70s fender - but it sure has a great vibe about it and it's proper lightweight. Very happy - and thanks for all the kind words too folks!

I guess there's a good reason why they are the reference classic design! :)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Bridgehouse' timestamp='1484909843' post='3219564']
Been playing it some more now. Needed another quick truss rod tweak as it settled after shipping, and it seems to have stabilised well now.

Really liking the TI flatwounds on it - I know a lot of ppl think they are a bit 'rubber band' and they certainly are lower tension compared to the Chromes but I really like the sound.

It's probably not typical for a early/mid 70s fender - but it sure has a great vibe about it and it's proper lightweight. Very happy - and thanks for all the kind words too folks!

I guess there's a good reason why they are the reference classic design! :)
[/quote]i've never used TIs so can't comment on the "rubber band" feel, but I to found Chromes a little too high tension. I have LaBella Low Tension Flats on my fretless and they are what they say on the packet and definitely not rubbery. May be a good alternative next time your changing strings, they come in a good bit cheaper than TIs. Just a thought.