Why become a member? ×

New Darkglass pedal.

fretmeister

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1492027394' post='3277359']
id love to try one for sure just not sure i wanna sell stuff to free up the cash

andy
[/quote]

Do you have Sky? Consider cancelling that for 9 months and taking out the interest free finance at Andertons.

Puts into context how much money we can waste on stuff that matters so much less, doesn't it!

Jesus how much?!

I've just had a listen to the pedal review. My issue is that is makes the Thumb bass on the video sound like another generic two pickup bass with farrrr too much gain.

I am a big fan of dirt with bass (although more fuzz and overdrive) but I find when you add these high gain bass tones to a mix it just sounds like another guitar.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1492032154' post='3277417']

Do you have Sky? Consider cancelling that for 9 months and taking out the interest free finance at Andertons.

Puts into context how much money we can waste on stuff that matters so much less, doesn't it!
[/quote]

Nope no sky, and a baby on the way so would have to sell some stuff we will see but not unhappy with my drive and dirt sounds ATM so in no rush

I am not sure on this one.... it's Darkglass meaning build quality will be top notch, it looks very cool and what I can gather from compressed low re Youtube audio it sounds pretty cool. However, from my own experience it is almost impossible to get true "3D sounding dirt" without using at least 2 (or even 3) amps and I suspect that this pedal will not give me more than my multiple pedal/amp setup. Also live so much depends on FOH EQ which most of us will not be able to control fully anyway.

So until I hear it in the flesh I am not entirely sold. Kudos for Darkglass to keep on developing new bass specific stuff, but I have the distinct feeling this pedal will end up in my "VMT corner"; cool but not for me.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1492032154' post='3277417']

[/quote]

ok so you got me thinking! about finance mainly ive got a shocking record due to issues with a employer last year so it gets turned down alot, however andertons :-)

i can totally afford 30 quid a month for a few months no trouble so A/O is on the way as soon as andertons get them in stock!

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1492096293' post='3277935']

ok so you got me thinking! about finance mainly ive got a shocking record due to issues with a employer last year so it gets turned down alot, however andertons :-)

i can totally afford 30 quid a month for a few months no trouble so A/O is on the way as soon as andertons get them in stock!
[/quote]
Haha, not that I'm a bad influence..... ;)

I tried it at the London bass guitar show. I thought it was really good. I was playing a Maurusczyk Hellwood which was a really nice bass, but a bit "soft" for my tastes.

I tried the microtubes amp as well on its own and in combo with the Alpha and Ultras. The gain was amazing, but I felt the clean was too spongy. Not using a bass I know well it could have been that, but I was unconvinced.

Darkglass have their target market down now and quite frankly, they can charge anything and people will pay it. I'm not going to say their pedals or amps aren't worth the cash, but they are approaching market tolerance. I mean £90 for an amp bag?!! They said to me that it was memory foam. I said that for that price I'd want a mattress rather than a tiny bag. I still can't make up my mind if I was joking or not.

However, the Alpha is a great pedal and a lot of people will love it regardless of the price.

Edited by Wolverinebass

[quote name='bjelkeman' timestamp='1492207681' post='3278752']
M900 being spongy is not something I have heard or experienced before. Rather the opposite. Maybe it was the bass.
[/quote]

Quite possibly. If I'd been playing my own bass through it I'd be able to say more clearly, but the low end of the clean channel had that sponge type Markbass feel to it. However, the dirts were just outrageous. Mental really how good they were.

For me, I never run a bass sound entirely clean so I suppose I'm being unfair, but certainly I believe that darkglass have missed a trick in 2 ways.

First, the amp isn't rackable and 2nd there are no presets controllable by midi. If it had both of those (even if it cost more) I'd have one.

[quote name='Wolverinebass' timestamp='1492247527' post='3278918']

Quite possibly. If I'd been playing my own bass through it I'd be able to say more clearly, but the low end of the clean channel had that sponge type Markbass feel to it. However, the dirts were just outrageous. Mental really how good they were.

For me, I never run a bass sound entirely clean so I suppose I'm being unfair, but certainly I believe that darkglass have missed a trick in 2 ways.

First, the amp isn't rackable and 2nd there are no presets controllable by midi. If it had both of those (even if it cost more) I'd have one.
[/quote]

Doug at Darkglass has mentioned that there would be a rackmount kit. But it was a while ago, so not sure when. Presets controlled by midi I think was probably a bridge to far for a first amp.

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1492249318' post='3278935']
The amp is rackable, there was a guy on TB who showed a solution, think it's 2U space.

MIDI, I will give you that one, but I find it versatile enough with its stock sound and a couple of pedals out front adding stuff when I need
[/quote]

Not having read the thread on talkbass I have to ask do the words "warranty invalidation" hove into view at this point? It's just it sounds like a bodge with no official product. It's not like they're doing anything unusual here. Loads of amp manufacturers have jumped on the "small box" non rackable type amp. I just don't dig on it.

The point I was making is if the thing had presets you wouldn't need a few pedals in front of it as you'd have 128 tones to play with.

However, we shall see what comes out in the future.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1485417748' post='3223743']

It's a full preamp, as opposed to a drive pedal. But the value of the pound really buggers us on this one.:(
[/quote]

There are plenty of drive boxes that can also be used as preamps that even have preamp in the name yet don't command prices anywhere near close to that.

At the same time how much are Geiger Counter pedals.
And I think my Suncoast was nearly £300

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1492336134' post='3279433']

There are plenty of drive boxes that can also be used as preamps that even have preamp in the name yet don't command prices anywhere near close to that.

At the same time how much are Geiger Counter pedals.
And I think my Suncoast was nearly £300
[/quote]

On the face of it, it seems expensive compared to their other offerings. I did expect this to be in the B7K price range, but a LOT of work has gone into this unit over the past couple of years with countless prototypes and revisions made. I think it will be something special.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1492336506' post='3279439']

On the face of it, it seems expensive compared to their other offerings. I did expect this to be in the B7K price range, but a LOT of work has gone into this unit over the past couple of years with countless prototypes and revisions made. I think it will be something special.
[/quote]

True, I don't think many of us really understand how much goes into some things.

Going back and listening it sounds just like the other Dark glass pedals.
IMO of course they all sound the same to me, good but the same.

Edited by Prime_BASS

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1492336388' post='3279437']
MIDI presets, on a bass amp, seriously?? The most bizzare complaint ever? :D
[/quote]

It's not that bizarre. If you think this thing is flexible now, pile that on and it'd be unbeatable. No setting up for change of basses, just press one button and off you go.

I really hope I'm not coming over as having a go at a great product, but if this had it I'd have one, no questions. Even if it cost £300 more.

Because it doesn't, it suffers (or would do the way I'd use it) from what things like the Tech 21 Dug Pinnick amp would. Dirt is amazing, but the clean sound is less so. You couldn't swap the distortions mid song on the same engine so you'd be stuffed. Just a thought but not one that will keep anyone else up at night....

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1492337737' post='3279447']

True, I don't think many of us really understand how much goes into some things.

Going back and listening it sounds just like the other Dark glass pedals.
IMO of course they all sound the same to me, good but the same.
[/quote]

I think this will sound more like a mic'd Darkglass pedal, certainly replicating a mic'd 3D sound was the aim. They are quite insistent that it is nothing like the B7K's design, I'm very intrigued about it :)

@Wolverinebass I don't think you are having a go at a great product, just expressing what would work for you and that's cool.

I have the M900, would love to have the dUg amp (cost prohibitive at the moment) but I would disagree with what you said about the clean tone on both, I think the clean tone is really good and with the dUg amp there are very few situations where you would use the grit channel alone as it really rasps.
Surprisingly to my ears with the M900 I only like one of the drive channels having owned both the VMT and b7k pedals, sonic could not see myself switching the type of dirt mid song.

What I will say though (and I know you don't necessarily want more pedals!) is that in the next year Tech21 will release a dUg pre-amp pedal to satisfy those needs.
So if you had the M900, intelli foot switch whichever version, and the dug pre amp it's almost the same number of switches as a midi and quite a few useable tones there, imagine pairing the dirty dUg circuit with the EQ section of the clean DG amp, as well as the other possibilities could be a winner.