Why become a member? ×

P-Bass Plucking Position

thegummy

Just got my first P Bass. It's amazing but I'll save all that for the NBD post when the custom pickguard arrives.

Question I have for you P players is where do you tend to pluck?

On a J I was always used to plucking right between the pickups which worked well cause i rested my thumb on the neck pup.

I looked at my favourite P player, Pino, and he plucks right over the pickup but it feels strange to me hitting the pickup with my fingers.

Is that where it's generally plucked?

[quote name='thegummy' timestamp='1484868693' post='3219368']
Just got my first P Bass. It's amazing but I'll save all that for the NBD post when the custom pickguard arrives.

On a J I was always used to plucking right between the pickups which worked well cause i rested my thumb on the neck pup.

I looked at my favourite P player, Pino, and he plucks right over the pickup but it feels strange to me hitting the pickup with my fingers.

[/quote]

It's all down to personal comfort of course, but I'd say if your fingertips are hitting the pickups, either the pickup is too high or you're digging too deep.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1484871663' post='3219389']
It's all down to personal comfort of course, but I'd say if your fingertips are hitting the pickups, either the pickup is too high or you're digging too deep.
[/quote]

Think I must be a deep digger!

Been enjoying playing it just to the left of the pickup.

Man this bass...where have you been all my life

I play close to the neck for a thicker sound and close to the bridge for a thinner, more funky sound. Nothing unusual there.
I don't anchor my thumb so playing in any position is easier. I think anchoring your thumb on the pickup limits your ability to vary your sound, especially on a Precision.

Frank.

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1484875907' post='3219404']
I play close to the neck for a thicker sound and close to the bridge for a thinner, more funky sound. Nothing unusual there.
I don't anchor my thumb so playing in any position is easier. I think anchoring your thumb on the pickup limits your ability to vary your sound, especially on a Precision.

Frank.
[/quote]

I do this too, I have found that I hit the strings with a much lighter touch on a Precision than other basses, especially when over the pickup. It just seems to sound better that way on my bass to my ears.

My precision is incredibly responsive to different picking positions and techniques. More so than probably any other bass I've owned.
For example, while playing closer to the neck obviously gives thicker tones as people have already said, I find that when playing in that position it is also easier to get the strings to ring out against the frets by changing how my fingers strike the strings to get more note definition and articulation.
I think that responsiveness is one of the main reasons that it's my favorite bass despite being 'just' a Squier.

[quote name='Zombie1965' timestamp='1484960447' post='3220099']
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]Right over the pickup for that standard "P" sound, but I move about a bit for certain genres. [/color][/font]
[/quote]

Exactly this ^

[quote name='thegummy' timestamp='1484868693' post='3219368']

[/quote]

I like to pluck just below the pickup, towards the bridge (although it varies a bit, often I pluck right over it too). The thing is I'm used to using a pickup as a reference/resting place (from using a Stingray) so I tend to put tiny thumbrests below the Precision pickup. Like this:

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1485004321' post='3220297']

I like to pluck just below the pickup, towards the bridge (although it varies a bit, often I pluck right over it too). The thing is I'm used to using a pickup as a reference/resting place (from using a Stingray) so I tend to put tiny thumbrests below the Precision pickup. Like this:

[/quote]

I like that, it would suit me well :)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1485004321' post='3220297']

[/quote]

Great little thumb rests those are, mine sits a little further forward though

[URL=http://s1122.photobucket.com/user/Mkuk0/media/P1030108_zps4y24v4jd.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l527/Mkuk0/P1030108_zps4y24v4jd.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

That one is aluminium though, I wonder if we could persuade our fellow basschatter to knock up some more?

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1485445099' post='3224025']
Great little thumb rests those are, mine sits a little further forward though

[url="http://s1122.photobucket.com/user/Mkuk0/media/P1030108_zps4y24v4jd.jpg.html"][/url]

That one is aluminium though, I wonder if we could persuade our fellow basschatter to knock up some more?
[/quote]

Oh you're one of the ones who got them? :)

I forgot who made them, do you remember?
I still have the original (looks like steel), and a few I got made based on that one both in aluminium and black acrylic. I have given a few away in the past few years as people try them and like them. I made a CAD file to get more cut but when I enquire prices it became silly as you'd have to make tons, and I like them but I would not get more than maybe two or three...