Why become a member? ×

MARKBASS CMD 102P...WHAT THEY LIKE????

MB1

MB1. :)

HELLO!
I am thinking of a possible change in gear and Markbass has been brought to my attention.I will be popping down my local retailer to have a closer look later in the week.I currently use Ashdown gear so i was just wondering if anybody either owns or has experience of this particular combo?,and could provide me with a review of some sort.
MANY THANKS (IN ADVANCE)
MB1.

[quote name='MB1' post='31847' date='Jul 14 2007, 05:35 PM']MB1. :)

HELLO!
I am thinking of a possible change in gear and Markbass has been brought to my attention.I will be popping down my local retailer to have a closer look later in the week.I currently use Ashdown gear so i was just wondering if anybody either owns or has experience of this particular combo?,and could provide me with a review of some sort.
MANY THANKS (IN ADVANCE)
MB1.[/quote]

MB1. :huh:
this is the 400w 2x10 combo.

Nobody got/had one of these then? is there anybody out there?

I have one of these and love it dearly. I traded a hartke HA5500/ashdown 4x10+1x15 stack and have never looked back.
It's loud, versatile, can be lifted with one hand and sounds great.
The VLF filter is good for a scooped mid modern slap bass sound, the VLE gives a nice warm thumpy vintage vibe.
Generally though I use the tone controls pretty flat at 12o'clock with perhaps a gnat's mid low boost and a little high cut to give a good basic tone as a starting point with my US Jazz bass standard, and tend to stick with this occasionally using the aforementioned filters. The are certainly lots of useful combinations of the brilliiantly straightforward controls to be had to suit whatever dust's your broom sonically. I can't recommend this amp highly enough. All of the mag reviews I've seen seem to agree.
I have to say that the lurid Lamborghini colour scheme put me off initially but looks great under stage lighting and I've kind of warmed to it.

Hope this helps
mike
p.s. i'm not on an endorsement deal with Proel or Markbass honest! (but very open to offers)

I've not used this combo, but I believe the input stage is the same ( or at least very similar) to a Little Mark II. If so, I've used actives and very loud passives with the Gain on 3 o' clock and not experienced any distortion or unpleasantness. These amps are really clean.

Cheers,
Alun

No I haven't tried it with an active bass but it has a very sensible input gain setup:
Basically, as described in the instruction book, you plug your bass in turn the master right down play hard and turn the gain up until the clipping light flickers, back off slightly and you have the optimum input for whatever bass you're using. i find that it's about 3 o'clock for mine too.