Why become a member? ×

not sure if I'm appropriately qualified to join this band

toneknob

Currently on gumtree...

"[color=#3C3241]Three ladies - a singer, drummer and guitarist/bassist (me) are forming a band! We're looking for a fourth lady/non-binary person who could ideally switch between guitar and bass. Technical proficiency isn't important. We're based in London (across loads of different areas). Some of our favourite bands are X ray Spex, The Slits, Talking Heads, Bowie, Warpaint, Mac Demarco ... and thousands of others. [/color]
[color=#3C3241]Please send a message if you'd like to jam with us."[/color]

I'm a fairly bad guitarist living in one of London's many different areas. Should I apply?

Edited by toneknob

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1484914418' post='3219629']
Are you a non-binary person?

It sounds very much like they don't want any Alpha males wading in and messing up the vibe.
[/quote]

To be fair, it's impossible to say from the advert why they want what they do.

i think non-binary means any gender or sexual orientation/identity that isn't a heterosexual male, so you could (if you if you are all about social justice and that) say this advert is sexist.

try it, then call them bra burning feminists... the back and forth would be highly amusing, if nothing else you could do a sad face article for the daily mail and get a couple of hundred quid.

"musican gets denied spot in a band for being A MAN"

Edited by RockfordStone

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1484917326' post='3219666']

try telling that to social justice warriors
[/quote]

I will if you want.

You can't have a boy band with a girl in it. It wouldn't be a boy band.

If I went to a strip club to see naked ladies, I'd not be very pleased to see a bunch of blokes.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1484913449' post='3219611']

They'll probably say, 'You're not a lady or a non-binary person', I should imagine. :)
[/quote]

Apply. So long as you've only got analogue and not digital pedals on your pedalboard I'm sure you'll fit right in.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1484916886' post='3219657']
I think it's pretty clear. They don't want a heterosexual man.
[/quote]

I thought the whole point of the non-binary thing was that they couldn't tell you what you were? So if you went along to the audition as a bloke and dressed as a bloke but said you were non-binary they'd have to go along with it... or no? :huh: