Why become a member? ×

Custom Builds

AdamWoodBass

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1485033635' post='3220660']
I will second a vote for Alpher Instruments.

Not as well known as others, but they build exceptional instruments. I have been through most British built instruments and nothing surpasses Alpher for build quality and choice of woods in my opinion, there is no-one like them. They only build two different model basses and restrict a few options for customisation, simply because they believe the design they have is the best instrument they can make.

They give each instrument they build the proper time and dedication it needs. Some of the builders named in this thread churn basses out at an alarming rate, Alpher's output is much smaller (my bass was only the 30-something instrument they had built) and that is incredibly reassuring to me.

Me and Chris have become friends following my commission and the guy honestly couldn't be any better customer service wise. Immediate response to emails and Facebook chat messages before, during and most importantly after the build. They are a joy to work with.

Check them out, you won't regret it :)
[/quote]

I can vouch for every word of this.

Another vote for ACG from me!
I've played nothing but ACG basses for years now, and having owned and played some reasonably high end basses in the past, ACG are up there if not better than all of them :)
Just to reiterate what others have said, Alan is an incredibly talented and accommodating individual and will make you the bass of your dreams.

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1485020533' post='3220500']
Have a look at Overwater, they can pretty much build anything you want and they are always gorgeous.
[/quote]

What kind of money do Overwater charge? I realise that I'm asking how long is a piece of string, but ballpark? I'm coming to the conclusion that even my fairly simple needs can't be catered for off the shelf and I really liked the thought that had gone into Scott Devine's 'Precision'.

According to their website, a standard J series Overwater starts at 2 grand, so I'd assume a p bass would be similar. If fancy electronics and quiet pickups are your thing, then you can't beat Overwater, but if you are looking for a very well built p bass, I recommend Jon Shuker, just from my experiences. Being honest though, no matter who you choose from the suggested names, you're guaranteed a very high quality product, and very good service.

[quote name='cgg199' timestamp='1485163455' post='3221555']
According to their website, a standard J series Overwater starts at 2 grand, so I'd assume a p bass would be similar. If fancy electronics and quiet pickups are your thing, then you can't beat Overwater, but if you are looking for a very well built p bass, I recommend Jon Shuker, just from my experiences. Being honest though, no matter who you choose from the suggested names, you're guaranteed a very high quality product, and very good service.
[/quote]

I'd second that, I'd still strongly recommend you check out ACG, as they do make a P Type, but if you're wanting a much more trad looking bass, basically a custom P, Jon Shuker is your man, every time.
Just dig through this forum to see why.

Eude

[quote name='cgg199' timestamp='1485163455' post='3221555']
[/quote]

I was thinking more along the lines of a Stingray based instrument with a smoother/more accessible neck-body joint ([i]a la[/i] Scott's Precision) and a smoother more rounded sound and switchable actives. Kind of modern active P-J meets a 1990s Stingray neck profile and body dimensions and a nice translucent finish. Not complicated or super exotic, but not available off the shelf either. Need to sell my Jazz Fretless first though!

[quote name='radiophonic' timestamp='1485166245' post='3221606']

I was thinking more along the lines of a Stingray based instrument with a smoother/more accessible neck-body joint ([i]a la[/i] Scott's Precision) and a smoother more rounded sound and switchable actives. Kind of modern active P-J meets a 1990s Stingray neck profile and body dimensions and a nice translucent finish. Not complicated or super exotic, but not available off the shelf either. Need to sell my Jazz Fretless first though!
[/quote]

Take a look here for some examples of Jon's p basses. Some of them sound quite similar to what you are describing, so it may be worth a look -The white one near the bottom in particular. It would also be worth talking to a few of the luthiers to see what they can do with the idea. Good luck with the Jazz bass, hopefully it'll sell fast, after all, everyone needs a fretless Jazz bass!

[quote name='cgg199' timestamp='1485168189' post='3221632']
Take a look here for some examples of Jon's p basses. Some of them sound quite similar to what you are describing, so it may be worth a look -The white one near the bottom in particular. It would also be worth talking to a few of the luthiers to see what they can do with the idea. Good luck with the Jazz bass, hopefully it'll sell fast, after all, everyone needs a fretless Jazz bass!
[/quote]

Not sure which bass you mean (on the Shuker site). The blue PJ or is the right kind of thinking, albeit without the offset body. No takers for the Jazz so far, alas. It's a shame to sell it, but I just don't get on with the body shape - it makes the (too thin) neck feel too long.

Ah, it probably would have been better if I had remembered to post the link in my previous post, it may have helped a bit!

That's what I was trying to show you, just the larger cutout, similar to Scott Devine's Overwater in a way.

Also, I'm not sure if this as been said, but make sure you get on with the Luthier on a personal level. It'd be a long tiresome project if you were had a clashing personality with the person building your bass, and also the finished product probably wouldn't be perfect for you.

Edited by cgg199

I have done the full custom thing with one of the UK's most respected builders. Would I do it again? No. The bass was all I asked for spec wise but it just did not sound fabulous. I changed electrics twice but to no avail. As above, I sold it for a loss. You just cannot tell how wood is going to work together. It might work, but it might not. If you still want to (and I am not saying do not) then I suggest you pick up a model from your favoured builder 2nd hand (they all come through here), live with it for a bit and then move on from there, selling it for the same as you bought it.

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1485197033' post='3222030']
I have done the full custom thing with one of the UK's most respected builders. Would I do it again? No. The bass was all I asked for spec wise but it just did not sound fabulous. I changed electrics twice but to no avail. As above, I sold it for a loss. You just cannot tell how wood is going to work together. It might work, but it might not. If you still want to (and I am not saying do not) then I suggest you pick up a model from your favoured builder 2nd hand (they all come through here), live with it for a bit and then move on from there, selling it for the same as you bought it.
[/quote]

This makes sense to me..

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1485197033' post='3222030']
[/quote]

That's a pretty sensible idea. I don't think that what I have in my head is that "radical" in terms of spec/wood combination etc but it's a very good point on the fact that you just don't really know what it's going to be like until you get your hands on the finished bass. That's why I'm trying to get as many stories of personal experience as possible before I get into it, £3000 would leave a fairly sizeable hole in my finances and I'd be mortified if it turned out to not be a bass that I love.

A "Custom" bass covers a wide variety of possibilities from a Fender-type bass in a configuration that Fender don't produce as standard to something that is completely new in terms of design and playability; and everything in between.

If you want to stick with a UK luthier there are plenty to choose from. I have over 50 bookmarked, all of who AFAIK are still in business.

By all means have a look at the luthiers being mentioned, but before placing an order be sure to try at least a couple of examples that they have made. There's more than one luthier mentioned so far in this thread that has some very tasty looking instruments on their site, but when I've come to actually try some, I couldn't get on with any of them.

I've had 2 guitars and 2 basses custom made for me and they are still among my favourite instruments that I own and play.

Here's my criteria for picking a luthier to make you instrument:

1. Find someone who is already making something very similar (if not exactly) what you want. There are hundreds of luthiers in the world producing custom basses. At least one of them should already be making something close to what you want.

2. Try some of their instruments. It doesn't matter how wonderful they look on the web site. If the instruments don't speak to you when you play them then it's unlikely this particular luthier will be able to make what you want.

3. Talk to your prospective luthiers. IMO getting a good rapport with them is one of the most important things when commissioning a bass.

4. Don't get bogged down on the minute details. This IMO is where most custom builds go wrong. You commission something that is a combination of all the things that you liked about individual basses without considering how they are all going to fit together and end up with the bass equivalent of "Homer's Car". For my most recent custom build I picked the luthier because I liked one of his basic designs. I then went in with what I wanted in terms of sound, playability, and a colour scheme, and left the details of woods, pickups and hardware to them.

Good luck!

It surprises me that considering all the love for ACG there's not a great deal of footage of them on youtube. There's a couple of videos but not a lot. I am looking forward to trying one out though, if I don't manage to take up any of the several offers I've had from BC'ers on this thread before hand I'll be certainly getting my grubby mits on one or two of them at the London Bass Guitar Show.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1485033635' post='3220660']
I will second a vote for Alpher Instruments.

Not as well known as others, but they build exceptional instruments. I have been through most British built instruments and nothing surpasses Alpher for build quality and choice of woods in my opinion, there is no-one like them. They only build two different model basses and restrict a few options for customisation, simply because they believe the design they have is the best instrument they can make.

They give each instrument they build the proper time and dedication it needs. Some of the builders named in this thread churn basses out at an alarming rate, Alpher's output is much smaller (my bass was only the 30-something instrument they had built) and that is incredibly reassuring to me.

Me and Chris have become friends following my commission and the guy honestly couldn't be any better customer service wise. Immediate response to emails and Facebook chat messages before, during and most importantly after the build. They are a joy to work with.

Check them out, you won't regret it :)
[/quote] I wanted a custom bass - then alpher sorted out the frets on my current bass and I don't want a custom bass any more - they are that good

[quote name='cgg199' timestamp='1485186455' post='3221894']
Ah, it probably would have been better if I had remembered to post the link in my previous post, it may have helped a bit!

That's what I was trying to show you, just the larger cutout, similar to Scott Devine's Overwater in a way.

Also, I'm not sure if this as been said, but make sure you get on with the Luthier on a personal level. It'd be a long tiresome project if you were had a clashing personality with the person building your bass, and also the finished product probably wouldn't be perfect for you.
[/quote]

That's actually pretty close. Lose the block inlays, give it a stingray neck profile and a nice trans-teal finish. No idea what it sound like of course.

All great advice above, my experience is that I bought and tried and sold several luthier-level basses secondhand before I made a decision to have a custom-build done. All the recommendations are good: ACGs are very distinctive (but ultimately didn't work out for me - as much an aesthetic choice as any), Overwaters are excellent (this time a pickup/EQ/sound thing) too, and my favourite is Jon Shuker. Ultimately at this level, the quality of build will be exemplary and in a different league to the boggo factory-assembled stuff, so you're in a very good position.

I'd echo the advice about knowing pretty close to what you want, and then chatting with your prospective luthier. Jon's place in Castleton is definitely worth a visit, alternatively I'm in Oldham and I have two and a half Shukers, including one with a MM pickup (actually a Nordy Bigman) you're welcome to come and try.

Edited by Muzz

I don't think I would go for a custom build. It's not that I don't know what I want, but I know that builders like Sadowsky, Lakland etc know what there doing. And know alot more about bass the building guitars better than me. There are plenty of off the shelf amazing basses and options to keep me happy. You really have to know about what works for you with the different aspects of building a bass to get it perfect for yourself. Imo.

[quote name='AdamWoodBass' timestamp='1485215967' post='3222285']
It surprises me that considering all the love for ACG there's not a great deal of footage of them on youtube. There's a couple of videos but not a lot. I am looking forward to trying one out though, if I don't manage to take up any of the several offers I've had from BC'ers on this thread before hand I'll be certainly getting my grubby mits on one or two of them at the London Bass Guitar Show.
[/quote]

If you're in Manchester you could have a look at the Bass Lounge in Worsley - their web page indicates they have a couple of ACGs and Alpher in stock...

[quote name='andyonbass' timestamp='1485282818' post='3222794']
If you're in Manchester you could have a look at the Bass Lounge in Worsley - their web page indicates they have a couple of ACGs and Alpher in stock...
[/quote]

Good advice! Those two are certainly up there with the best (particularly Alpher ;)), but as others say Im not sure they will necessarily be what you are looking for. Shuker fits the bill.