Why become a member? ×

Schroeder experience w doublebass

giamma

Hi guys,
I'm looking for a new cab to replace my GK mbx, I was looking at the schroeder website and I'm really interested in the 1x10 or the 1x8....
Anyone had experience with this brand with the double bass?

I'm not looking for something with a huge volume but is more important the portability and the quality of the acoustic sound..

[quote name='giamma' timestamp='1484925551' post='3219787']
Hi guys,
I'm looking for a new cab to replace my GK mbx, I was looking at the schroeder website and I'm really interested in the 1x10 or the 1x8....
Anyone had experience with this brand with the double bass?

I'm not looking for something with a huge volume but is more important the portability and the quality of the acoustic sound..
[/quote]

We had one of the 2 X 8s in our NAMM booth and my amp was running into that with and without the 2 X 10 for the entire show. Those cabs worked really well for what we needed: slap, slap, and then some more slap. I also used to use one of Jorg's 1210 cabs with my EUB for a couple of years, which was fantastic for the punk/surf/rockabilly/blues thing I was doing at that time. Not really nuanced enough for the jazz trio thing I transitioned to full time though.Talk to him and ask the hardest questions you can think of. His cabs have always been known for making a lot of noise for a small box, but the rest is so subjective that I hesitate to even guess how a specific cab might work for you. He makes a lot of models and I'd expect that at least a couple might work very well for you.

@Marty: Barefaced is another interesting brand, never tried this cabs but I red are pretty colored, what's your impressions with the double bass? Are them good with acoustic instruments?

@Passiwind: thank you for share your experienced, I'm sure they are great cabs with the electric bas but I'm looking for a new cab for the doublebass, used in classic trio/quartet band

[quote name='giamma' timestamp='1485417284' post='3223740']
@Passiwind: thank you for share your experienced, I'm sure they are great cabs with the electric bass but I'm looking for a new cab for the doublebass, used in classic trio/quartet band
[/quote]

Understood, hence my recommendation to talk to Jorg, since I've only heard half a dozen or so of his models. My personal favorites for acoustic upright for jazz that I've actually played would be AudioKinesis, Euphonic Audio, Acoustic Image, and Accugroove. If I were in the market I would also be listening to Greenboy FEARLESS (sic), Barefaced (the ones that have a tweeter), Mike Arnopol Soundworks, and AER.

Edited by Passinwind

I'm also using a Barefaced OneTen with my double bass. I should think it's virtually unbreakable within DB volumes and very light to transport. The sound is solid but a bit dark, not very nuanced. I have to keep it off the floor to get an ok sound. So I use it a lot for an old school sound.

But I've got a BF Super Midget on order and am looking forward to a slightly more middy tone which can be sent to the tweeter or the main cone by a control on thecab. It'll be interesting because it's not a cheap cab and I was hoping to be a bit GAS free in 2017 - some start!

Giamma... the BF One10 cabs are probably not for someone who likes a lot of highs and nuance in their sound. I am oldschool, I love that Paul Chambers/Willie Dixon gut string sound, so they will probably be the last cabs I will buy. The Super Midget would be better if you like sparkle. Also a Greenboy Fearless 110 or 112 which in my opinion is the best double bass cab ever made, but heavier than the Barefaced, which is why I go with BF. At 7.5kg for a One10, my damaged back loves them.

It looks a really good cab for his dimensions, weight and power but the cab i actually use the most is a gallien mruemer mbx 112, is the most portable cab ever but I start missing all the frequencies (up and down) a great cab has. So I'm looking for something more fullrange and I thing the barefaced is not the right cab for that