Why become a member? ×

Albums you think are great but are critically panned

Cat Burrito

I enjoyed julesb's recent thread of the reverse so it got me to thinking, which albums dismissed as rotten are we all rating?

I'll get the ball rolling with the 1986 Rolling Stones album "Dirty Work". Universally slated but from the Jimmy Page intro onwards I just hear the soundtrack to part of my youth....

Over to you.

[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000][b]Iron Maiden Virtual XI[/b] – their second album with Blaze on vocals, universally trashed and a poor seller, but there is only one song on it I dislike (Futureal).[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000][b]Status Quo - Ain't Complaining[/b] – the Quo go all out AOR with a set of melodic tunes bathed in keyboards. A million miles away from their 70s hard rock output, yet they are accused of always sounding the same on record.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000][b]Whitesnake - Slip of the Tongue [/b] – lambasted for Steve Vai widdling all over it, whereas I love the guitar pyrotechnics over some really good hard rocking tunes.[/color][/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]That is just three off the top of my head, I’m sure there are many more in my collection that belong in this category.[/color][/size][/font]

I've no shame in admitting I like and still have Limp Bizkit's first three albums and enjoy much derided debut albums from 80s synth poppers like Fashion, Flock of Seagulls, Wang Chung and Re-Flex. I also prefer Metallica's Load and Reload to their thrash stuff and have lots of time for Stone Temple Pilots first three. From the UK 90s the only 'Britpop' album I like is Kula Shaker's debut.

ELO - Balance of Power. Their last album from 1986 (as a trio, Kelly Groucutt not on bass, which does kind of show) but is usually thought of as... not their best, but I play it regularly and love it to bits. There, I admitted it... feel better now. And I will be interested to see if there is anyone else on Basschat (or indeed in the rest of the world) who rates this particular album.

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1484932951' post='3219872']
Layla - Derek and the Dominos.
Often gets panned on here for some reason , but one of my favourite albums.
[/quote]

Remember a friend bringing it round the day it came out, loved it then and still do.

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1484943761' post='3219980']
I don't think many of the Black Crowes albums were that well received but I adored Amorica and Three Snakes and One Charm.
[/quote]

I agree, both are great. three snakes was seen as a bit of a dark and dodgy time for the band but there are some cracking tunes on there. I love Lions as well

[quote name='phil.c60' timestamp='1484999899' post='3220260']
Deep Purple's "Come Taste the Band". Most Purple fans hated it as there was no Richie, but I liked it and still play it from time to time now.
[/quote]

Agree. This album was never rated when i first got into Deep Purple but recently it was recommended to me and it has some amazing tracks on it.

Also :-
Glenn Hughes early solo album Hughes & Thrall
Tommy Bolin Teaser

To a certain extent Rush albums are generally slated by mainstream music media yet they are renowned amongst musicians.

Dave

I think Steve Vai's melodic noodling is perfect on Slip of the Tongue. Great Album. There's a live Whitesnake album from around that time with both Vai and Vandenberg and its awesome!

I'd also add Genesis - Calling All Stations to this list.

Also saw Deep Purple live after the Abandon album. Everyone around me moaned that Steve Morse wasn't Ritchie Blackmore. But he didn't try to be, and I thought did a great job. A refreshing new take on Deep Purple classics.