Why become a member? ×

My shed wall

GreeneKing

I bought my house off a drummer. Due to complaints from the neighbours he knocked up a sort of an insulated shed at the back of the garage.

Perfect for bass practice if a bit small. Today courtesy of man flu I put up 4 cheap guitar hangers and now I have plenty of room. Here's most of my 5 string collection together with my Bongo that usually lives elsewhere in the house.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1484931350' post='3219844']
Nice ACG - how does it compare to the SC Harlot?
[/quote]

It's quite different Mick. The multi coil pickups are very articulate indeed as perhaps you would expect and the bass seems quite 'growly' perhaps due to the wenge and buginga. It's very weighty and the neck is very rigid meaning the B string is very good. It has the full and latest spec filter pre and it's a tone monster.

Mind it's a long time since I've played my lovely Harlot SC.

Good to see its in safe hands.

Peter

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1484929935' post='3219833']
Nice. It's important for a man to have his own space...
[/quote]

Your post was fine as it was, no need to edit it :D It's all online nowadays I believe......

Edited by GreeneKing

Nice collection of 5 stringers. Now what about the 4's and 6's. Are they in a seperate room. ?

Did you secure the hangers to the wood supports behind the insulation boards. Some people have had a few near misses with wall hangers.
I put up a strip of wood attached to the wood supports behind plaster board and secured the hangers onto the wood.

Dave

[quote name='sprocketflup' timestamp='1485027349' post='3220588']
Is that a GMR on the left of the second pic?
[/quote]

I wondered that. It looks very much like my GMR fretless 4 (apart from the frets and the fifth string of course). I'd love to have a GMR fretless 5.

Lovely looking set of basses, secure your shed well. Some friends of mine had a flat in a large town in the west midlands. Thinking about the n'eer do wells they installed a pretty solid door and some serious locks. Come the day, the bad guys ignored the door and just knocked through the blockwork in the wall. This has also recently happened to a motor cycle dealer near to where I live in Mid Wales. Sound activated recordings of ferocious dogs required :)

Edited by 3below

It is indeed an older GMR. I acquired it recently in a trade deal with my 91 NT Thumb 4, having finally left 4 strings behind, although I still own 2.

The GMR has been a delightful surprise. I'm a great fan of older Warwicks so the use of Warwick hardware and the waxed bubinga are all pushing the right buttons. The body carving is absolutely lovely and it both balances well and sits on the knee perfectly. The neck and fretwork are top quality and make the bass very easy to play. The passive MECs can get some stick but these are like the active ones on my Thumb, growly and full of presence. It came with a passive VVT set up and seeing the potential for a keeper I fitted one of the new modular 4 knob John East Uni-pre modular pre-amps (I had to drill a hole in the bass :o ). This way I get full passive capability along with 3 EQ, sweepable mids, a passive tone that works in both active and passive AND a HP filter to get rid of those sub 40Hz driver threatening rumbles. The 40-118 Vapour Shield LaBellas also contribute to what is fast becoming a bass of legendary status for me anyway. I fitted a trussrod cover to the headstock as the open wound looked a bit odd to me. It's about a mm or 2 offset so that remains to annoy :D

The MM5 is a 20th anniversary with the added tone block and the modified 3EQ. It's also a MM5 without the asymmetric scratch plate that is a bit of a love/hate thing. It's absolutely mint and plays/sounds lovely but its a very heavy and stunning beast.

The custom ACG Finn is full Uber spec with multi coil pickups and the latest spec filter pre-amp. It's modelled on my love of things Warwick and is a bubinga wenge sandwich with a 7 piece wenge and bubinga neck. Words alone can't describe how articulate the bass sounds or the versatility of the pre-amp. It also has THE perfect neck and fretboard. Every time I play it I just think 'wow'. I think the 7 piece neck contributes greatly to a B string that feels just like an E string. I've worked with Alan on speccing a few basses and I was made well aware of how heavy this bass would be. I'm no a 'tone woods' man but I do think this bass has a real Warwick growl. Not a bass for a 3 hour gig stood up though :D

The ACG J5 is simply a great J5. Light, playable and it looks good with a lovely birdseye maple fretboard. I know a few folk who covet this bass. I've recently fitted single coil Aaron Armstrong pups to replace the humbuckers and its got a more open tone that I was looking for. It has a John East U-Retro onboard. It's also fitted with a Roland V-Bass rig.

I still have Rita my Sterling. She's a keeper now

As well as my Gibson LP double cut. This has a visible neck repair where the fretboard was starting to separate at the far end so it's not a viable sale. It's also pretty immense sounding with the T'bird pups.

My final two are a test bed ACG fretless 4 that's a prototype that Alan used to work on fretless setup and my special blonde headless;

That's me :)

Peter

That's an impressive and expensive collection.
Those ACG basses look fantastic. Alan isn't too far from me either and usually see him at the Bass Bash.
Always helpful and always showing a great collection.

I am also a fan of the early Warwicks and love that Thumb growl but they are a tad heavy. Nlthing compares to that combination of woods and electronics IMO.

Nice and thanks for posting. Enjoyed it a lot.

Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1485082878' post='3220918']
That's an impressive and expensive collection.
Those ACG basses look fantastic. Alan isn't too far from me either and usually see him at the Bass Bash.
Always helpful and always showing a great collection.

I am also a fan of the early Warwicks and love that Thumb growl but they are a tad heavy. Nlthing compares to that combination of woods and electronics IMO.

Nice and thanks for posting. Enjoyed it a lot.

Dave
[/quote]

Cheers dave.