Why become a member? ×

DINGWALL Pickups! Full set for sale
£200

I have a set of Dingwall Pickups [b]from my Canadian made AB1 bass[/b] including an upgrade to the rather awesome P-Tone pickup for the neck position. The remaining two pickups (as my bass was a 3X model) are a pair of FD3a models. The P-Tone coils should be wired in series for the full P effect but the FD3a pickups that also use 4 cables can be set up for series or parallel config per unit thus offering a huge range of tones.

The cables have been left as they are after unsoldering and have not been clipped short.

A P-Tone pickup on it's own is £100 (plus shipping) so I feel that £200 delivered (that's mainland price, overseas will be more to ship) is very reasonable indeed for a set of highly regarded pickups.

The covers do show signs of wear, string grazing etc - I've no idea if it's possible to polish out and I won't try just to find out either :) lol

PM me and we'll go from there!

Edited by dood

[quote name='Hellzero' timestamp='1484941311' post='3219955']
4, 5 or 6 strings ?

Dimensions could be welcomed too. ;-)
[/quote]

Yes, I overlooked the obvious didn't I! I'm just about to get all the measurements so I'll be back shortly. They are for the 5 string basses and these are the models with the curved edges.

With my eyesight they appear to be 104mmx32mmx19mm HxWxD

Details: https://www.dingwallguitars.com/purchase/shop/fd-3-5-string-p-tone-round-end-size-pick-up/

Edited by dood

Would like to move these on. This is £200 for a set of three pickups, the P-Tone alone is £100+postage new and I am including shipping in my price. (Mainland uk - if you are overseas, contact me for a quote I guess!)

These are great sounding pickups, well rounded with enough bite to cut through, react nicely with EQ but not too aggressive verses other Dingwall pickups. A great fullness to the lower register - adds heft! :)

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1485085680' post='3220950']
Just to expand on the above, Ive got a pair of Dingwall pups (including a P-Tone) in my Shukerbird, and they're fantastic pickups in any bass, not just angled/fan fret designs... :)
[/quote]

Thank you for the kind words!

Boxed and ready to go folks!

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1485435939' post='3223947']
Any photos?
[/quote]

Of course! I'll get them uploaded as soon as. It's really not much, but I'd prefer to be as open and honest as possible!

Here they are - I've tried to capture an angle that makes the marks clear as possible using a high resolution. I also have not wiped or cleaned the pickups either. Nice Dingwall bolts also included.

Interestingly, when in a bass, the strings hide these marks - but here they are for all to see :)

[quote name='therealting' timestamp='1485688457' post='3225764']
Wish I had a suitable bass to put this into! Do you know how they compare with the Super Fattys?
[/quote]

I would say that the SF's are slightly more aggressive and the FD3a's have a bit more bottom. The SF's have a nice peak for cutting through which the FD3a I feel is higher up the frequency scale if that makes sense. To my ear anyway!! Ha! Very unscientific! The FD's could be considered warmer sounding.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1485689313' post='3225776']
What did you swap them out for, dood?

I'm tempted by the P-Tone, trying to visualise what kind of upgrade in sound it would give me.
[/quote]

If I told you that, I might have to destroy the evidence ;oP

Well, the P-Tone has been crafted to give you a much closer sound to that of a P pickup, which for me is a delight as I really like the added warmth and flavour that a PJ config gives verses JJ.

I've been asked if I will split these pickups. Although I'd rather not, the option is there.

The FD3a pickups are neck and bridge positions anyway so this would be perfect for a two pickup bass too without the P-Tone.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1486066386' post='3229031']
how are these still here? I'm looking for pups for a non fan fret 4 string .... and at this price they might be worth a shot.
[/quote]

Bonkers that these pickups are indeed still here - but there ya go! They came off my Dingwall AB1.

• 1 month later...