Why become a member? ×

Which strings ?

Hamstar8

Hi,
I need help, I play a fender p with my fingers, problem is I have quite small hands, I've always found that I shred the skin on my last two fingers quite badly, I lube the old strings which helps a bit but with gigging quite a bit I need something else, so ... I want a clean punchy sound but with a smooth string what do you recommend?

The LBGS is just a few weeks away - if you're in the London area, pop along and try out a few sets. It sounds like you're after a set of flatwounds or ground wounds - D'Addario make both and their rep, Andy, is a member here so can give more specific advice if you PM him.

[quote name='Hamstar8' timestamp='1485032658' post='3220643']
Hi,
I need help, I play a fender p with my fingers, problem is I have quite small hands, I've always found that I shred the skin on my last two fingers quite badly, I lube the old strings which helps a bit but with gigging quite a bit I need something else, so ... I want a clean punchy sound but with a smooth string what do you recommend?
[/quote]

Newtone's "Platinum" strings are supposed to have finer windings to reduce squeal for recording. They might be smoother for you without going to flats. I am getting fond of flats myself now though.

[quote name='antnee' timestamp='1485036288' post='3220698']
Ernie Ball Slinky Flats (Cobalt). Silky feel and sound like a roundwound string.

Heard they might not be great on P-Bass from a few forum goers but they're great on my SUB Ray.
[/quote]

These would be my suggestion. Whilst I didn`t get on with them myself, that`s because I need a lot of high-end zing (Stranglers/Lemmy/Duff etc), and these sound more like a set of rounds that have been played in for a couple of days.

[quote name='Hamstar8' timestamp='1485032658' post='3220643']
Hi,
[/quote]Are you looking for flats or rounds, or in-between .?

Elixirs are roundwound but with the coating they apply they're much less abrasive on the fingers than most strings.

They aren't cheap, but they last a lot longer than most strings. I tend to keep them over a year without them going particularly dead.

With the skin shredding, is this because of soft skin, of do you have a skin condition? Scott Divine has a skin condition which is the reason for his wearing a glove.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1485077341' post='3220846']
Elixirs are roundwound but with the coating they apply they're much less abrasive on the fingers than most strings.

They aren't cheap, but they last a lot longer than most strings. I tend to keep them over a year without them going particularly dead.

With the skin shredding, is this because of soft skin, of do you have a skin condition? Scott Divine has a skin condition which is the reason for his wearing a glove.
[/quote]

No I have no problem as such, the skin goes hard after gigs but comes off again, not unbearable but I struggle using the wedding finger so use the pinky at a stretch

I switched from Stainless to Nickel and find they helped a lot. Not just as hard on the fingers. They don't have quite the same zing as stainless tho.
When i used the Rotosound strings when i was younger i literally had blood coming from my finger tips at one gig. It was dripping down the front of the bass.
Adrenalin rush meant i didn't spot it or feel it but mate who was in audience clocked it..
Those were the days of heavy metal.
Now i play lighter with nickel strings.

Dave

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1485077341' post='3220846']

[/quote]

His gloves are actually for a neurological condition called Focal Dystonia, miss firing neurons causing involuntary muscle contractions and twisting.

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1485083528' post='3220926']
I switched from Stainless to Nickel and find they helped a lot. Not just as hard on the fingers. They don't have quite the same zing as stainless tho.
When i used the Rotosound strings when i was younger i literally had blood coming from my finger tips at one gig. It was dripping down the front of the bass.
Adrenalin rush meant i didn't spot it or feel it but mate who was in audience clocked it..
Those were the days of heavy metal.
Now i play lighter with nickel strings.

Dave
[/quote]

Rotosound steel strings have quite a reputation for eating frets so I'm not surprised that they ate your fingers too. My favourite strings for most purposes are DR coated strings (Black Beauties and Silver Stars) - they have punch and clarity without shredding your fingers. Other than that, as many people have said, Nickels will be less aggressive on your fingers but be aware that some people can react to nickel (which is why baby clothes have special Nickel-free fastenings).

Edited by darkandrew

How long have you been playing, and/or how often do you play? You refer to gigging, so I assume you're not a beginner.

Different strings will help, but it sounds like you need to toughen your finger tips up. This only really comes from perseverance BUT the trick is (IMHO) to stop when your fingers start to feel sore (easy when practising, not in a gig), i.e. before they blister or shred.Give it a day and repeat.

If you let the skin blister/shred then you're back to square one.

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1485177931' post='3221766']
How long have you been playing, and/or how often do you play? You refer to gigging, so I assume you're not a beginner.

Different strings will help, but it sounds like you need to toughen your finger tips up. This only really comes from perseverance BUT the trick is (IMHO) to stop when your fingers start to feel sore (easy when practising, not in a gig), i.e. before they blister or shred.Give it a day and repeat.

If you let the skin blister/shred then you're back to square one.
[/quote]
Hi
My fingers are pretty tough, I've been gigging for 20 years, I should really play a mustang or something short scale due to the size of my mitts but I dont want to, I just need something smooth but punchy

I wonder, if you have smaller hands, whether you're forced to play more on the edge of the finger rather than the pad because of the stretch. You mention that it affects he last two (assume you mean the ring and pinkie). If you are playing on the edges, the skin there is not as tough and it may be that a shorter scale instrument would be the best option in the long run, but I appreciate that's not the cheapest way to go. As far as strings go, agree with suggestions for Cobalts, Elixirs and Pressurewounds. Afraid you may have to spend a bit experimenting. Good luck with it.

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1485209139' post='3222214']
I wonder, if you have smaller hands, whether you're forced to play more on the edge of the finger rather than the pad because of the stretch. You mention that it affects he last two (assume you mean the ring and pinkie). If you are playing on the edges, the skin there is not as tough and it may be that a shorter scale instrument would be the best option in the long run, but I appreciate that's not the cheapest way to go. As far as strings go, agree with suggestions for Cobalts, Elixirs and Pressurewounds. Afraid you may have to spend a bit experimenting. Good luck with it.
[/quote]

That's exactly what happens, cheers