Why become a member? ×

So, I strolled into a shop and came out with a custom J...

prowla

I took a drive up to Dudley to pick up a bass cab and had a good old chat with the chap I bought it off; I mentioned that whilst I was in the area I might take a wander into town and see what was there, to which he suggested going to Wolverhampton instead, as there was a guitar shop there.

So I drove across there, parked in the shopping centre, came out onto the street and searched google for guitar shops; two blocks down the road - nice and easy.

On the way, I stopped in a 2nd hand records shop and came out with a bunch of CDs and had a nice chat with the two ladies who run the shop and then carried on down to the guitar shop.

Well, it was quite small but well stocked and then I looked up on the wall and there was a very interesting bass there:[list]
[*]Status Graphite neck - I've been after one of those for ages and missed one on ebay last year, but swored I'd buy the next one I saw for the P-bass I'm building.
[*]Warmoth Jazz-style body - well they're not cheap!
[*]Schaller machines and a Hipshot D-tuner - I just put a D-tuner on my P-bass, last week.
[*]Active electronics (not sure which brand of circuit) - this one has three stacked pots plus two micro-switches.
[*]Not sure of the pickups.
[*]Gold hardware.
[*]Badass II bridge - I have one of those on the P-bass too.
[/list]
I nonchalently asked the chap in the shop the price, expecting it to be around the £800 mark and he came back with less than half that. He said he'd just had it in the day before and hadn't been to sure about it and had said to the seller that it would either go straight out or hang about for ages.

Well, it just seemed like there was so much in parallel with what I was doing on my P-bass that I had to have it, so (after checking it over and having a quick play) I ended up with a new bass.

What a result - I never thought I'd come home with that when i set off out this morning!

Edited by prowla

Yep - I looked up E-Pro and it took me to the East website; the controls match the J-Retro, so I'm good with that. (And I downloaded their PDF saying how to use it.)

The neck - that's interesting; I've really got to plug it into my setup to see what it sounds like.

I can say that in the shop, and not particularly loud, turning up the bass control it went seismic!

I've two other Statuses (Statii) one with a graphite through neck and one wooden; the graphite one sounds artificial/modern and the wooden one sounds more (erm.) woody & natural! But it's really their pre-amp which defines the sound.

[quote name='uk_lefty' timestamp='1485111266' post='3221198']
Well done! Great bass. Suppose with all of these things whether bitsa/ warmoth or complete custom it is hard to find a second hand buyer who wants exactly that so you have to price low or break it up for parts
[/quote]
Yep - that was the shop's logic; I just happened to be that buyer and just happened to walk in the day after they got it and before they even spent any time on it, so it was an easy flip for them.

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1485125928' post='3221463']
Love that colour and if anyone thinks gold hardware looks tacky on a bass.....think again!
[/quote]
I have to say that I've always thought gold looked tacky on a bass...

...now I'm not so sure, in fact I rather like it!

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1485045568' post='3220761']
I'm thinking that's an East also. Do you have any other pics of the unit. What's the tone like by the way with that Status neck. I presume it's very modern sounding.?
[/quote]
The preamp looks like this.

The active makes a big difference; turning it off and it's about half as loud. I think I'd be unlikely to use it in passive mode!

In active mode, with all controls on mid (and volume on full) it sounds characterful; turning up the bass and it goes deep deep deeper than Eddie Murphy undercover!

The general feel is that it is a pro instrument, probably the most of all my basses; whether it suits my scrappy style of playing I'll have to see.

I'll get more familiar with it over time and figure out its character.