Why become a member? ×

Whatever happened to......

Bilbo

[quote name='Downdown' timestamp='1485113539' post='3221229']
John Deacon reportedly gave up music altogether after Freddie Mercury died.

And what about that guy in The Troggs who went into researching UFOs - or was that just the drugs? :)

Personally, I can understand why people decide on such a big change, especially after being so successful as in Deacon's case. Life is short and it seems a shame to focus just on one thing, unless that's the only interest you have I guess. Nico Rosberg is another example (though not musical obviously) - has achieved what he wanted from one activity and decided to move on to new things.
[/quote]the guy from the Troggs was Reg Presley had a keen interest in UFO corn circles but carried on performing with the Troggs till shortly before he died, AFAIK, saw them on a few occasions, always good fun, made a shed load of money when Wet Wet Wet had a huge hit with his song Love is All Around

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1485161778' post='3221537']
Fergal Sharkey, after leaving the Undertones and a short solo career, didn't leave the music industry, but worked for some Government QUANGO to do with the industry bit never performed again AFAIK
[/quote]

He worked in A&R for one of the majors too.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1485113588' post='3221231']

Nick Simper, first bassist with Deep Purple became a male nurse I think.

[/quote]

Not quite. Nick Simper carried on in music and is still playing. The guy you are thinking of is original singer Rod Evans. He had some brief success post DP with a band called Captain Beyond (which wasnt that bad actually) but then dropped out and apparently was a nurse for a while. He really blotted his copy book in about 1980 when he looked to cash in on the lack of a real DP and got a band together calling it 'Deep Purple' and booking shows doing DP material he was never on in the first place, somewhat duping fans in the process (this was all pre internet of course). Purple's management got wind of it and a court order was swiftly brought putting a stop to it. Evans disappeared again and I'm not sure anyone now knows where he is or what he's doing.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1485172422' post='3221690']

He had some brief success post DP with a band called Captain Beyond.
[/quote]

Worth checking out a great track by them called Dancing Madly Backwards. Like a proto Queens of the Stone Age.

[quote name='Barking Spiders' timestamp='1485173344' post='3221705']
two that come to mind instantly, that went into agriculture..
#Terminator X left Public Enemy to go into ostrich farming
Big Martin, ex Faith No More guitarist is a pumpkin farmer
[/quote]

Anyone mentioned Bill Berry from R.E.M.? Retired to be a hay farmer.

In reply to the bloke who mentioned Jimmy Lea from Slade, he lives in Brewood in the stunning South Staffordshire, I live about 1 mile away and we see him in the local boozer once in a while, hes recorded stuff locally at Mad Hat with mutual friends, it hasn't been released as far as I know, he used to get pissed of whenever Merry Xmas everybody came on but now he just ignores it and thinks of his pension funds, think of all the decent stuff Mr Lea and Mr Holder wrote, that a fine back catalogue by anyones standard me thinks, he's a smashing chap, get me a beer next time Jim OK.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1485161778' post='3221537']
Fergal Sharkey, after leaving the Undertones and a short solo career, didn't leave the music industry, but worked for some Government QUANGO to do with the industry bit never performed again AFAIK
[/quote]

Mickey Bradley, bassist from the Undertones, became a local BBC radio presenter. My mum sometimes gave him a lift to work.

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1485184159' post='3221861']
Mickey Bradley, bassist from the Undertones, became a local BBC radio presenter. My mum sometimes gave him a lift to work.
[/quote]yes but he still plays with the Undertones, always a great gig when I see them

Jim Lea released an album late last year, with the single being played a fair bit on Radio 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR28HcoznX8

According to The Daily Mail (!!!), Jim Lea & Noddy Holder each receive around £250,000 a year from the Christmas hit.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3374311/Poisonous-feud-merriest-Christmas-hit-earns-fortune-two-Slade-s-stars-ZILCH.html

Sparko kicked it in the head after ten years on the road with the Feelgoods and went back to doing something like roofing or plumbing. AFAIK occasionally turns out at the Oysterfleet.

Sold his iconic Grabber bass some years ago. Went for about £700 (with provenance) on eBay. I'd have paid considerably more than that.

[quote name='keeponehandloose' timestamp='1485116411' post='3221292']
Jim Lea, Slades bass player .I think hes a psyciatric nurse or similar.Also Phil Taylor , drummer in the iconic line up, just hung up his sticks saying he had played with the best no point in carrying on.
[/quote]R2 played a Jimmy Lea single a while back.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1485201243' post='3222074']
Sparko kicked it in the head after ten years on the road with the Feelgoods and went back to doing something like roofing or plumbing. AFAIK occasionally turns out at the Oysterfleet.
[/quote]

He came around and fixed my roof tiles after a storm about 9/10 years ago.
I went round his house not long after, he was thinking about unloading a Bass on Ebay at the time. (might well have been the Bass you mentioned, or possibly a P-Bass)
Also I have quite a funny story concerning the insurance company involved with my roof....Not for public airing though. :D

Yes, he occasionally turned up at The Oysterfleet (I was there on one occasion).
He is still in the building trade as far as I know.

[quote name='squire5' timestamp='1485202050' post='3222092']
Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull fame became a salmon farmer up on the Isle of Skye.He owns a large estate there.
[/quote]
He did so in the late 70's while remaining very much active in music, and later sold the estate to an environmental organisation, back in the 90's I believe.

Jeffrey Hammond-Hammond, bass player for Jethro Tull from 1970 to 1975, quit to pursue his true passion of painting and hasn't touched a bass in 40 years.

Edited by ZilchWoolham

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1485180437' post='3221813']
Worth checking out a great track by them called Dancing Madly Backwards. Like a proto Queens of the Stone Age.
[/quote]

Yes, I have all 3 studio albums (though Rod Evans is only on first 2). It was really a vehical for 2 ex members of Iron Butterfly so shares some similarity with them too