Why become a member? ×

Whatever happened to......

Bilbo

Most musicians continue to play long after they have moved away from any limelight, however dim, they may have once enjoyed but there are some that just walk away. I remember loving Andy Mccullogh, the drummer from prog legends Greenslade. He left the music industry and went into sailing, running some sort of maritime tourist thing in the Med (or something like that). Seems a shame to me but I guess he had his reasons.

Any other players you liked who disappeared?

John Deacon reportedly gave up music altogether after Freddie Mercury died.

And what about that guy in The Troggs who went into researching UFOs - or was that just the drugs? :)

Personally, I can understand why people decide on such a big change, especially after being so successful as in Deacon's case. Life is short and it seems a shame to focus just on one thing, unless that's the only interest you have I guess. Nico Rosberg is another example (though not musical obviously) - has achieved what he wanted from one activity and decided to move on to new things.

I think one of the early Genesis members packed it in and bought a lemon grove in Spain and wrote a book about it.

Nick Simper, first bassist with Deep Purple became a male nurse I think.

But, Brian Cox is certainly making a shed load more money talking about stars than trying to be one in the music industry.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1485113588' post='3221231']
I think one of the early Genesis members packed it in and bought a lemon grove in Spain and wrote a book about it.

But, Brian Cox is certainly making a shed load more money talking about stars than trying to be one in the music industry.
[/quote]
Chris Stewart. Quite entertaining books.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1485113588' post='3221231']
[/quote]

John mcGeoch, guitarist with Siouxsie and the Banshees, Magazine and PIL (and my all time favourite guitarist ever) had given up music and become a nurse too just before his untimely death.

Edited by darkandrew

This will be the most useless post in this thread.

A few years ago I bumped into the drummer from a prog band who had moved into the electronics industry. Here's the useless bit, I'm sorry but I'm struggling to remember his name or the band's.

Anyway he was showing round the factory and he opened a door in the office suite to a room filled with the biggest drum kit I've ever seen, all mic'ed up and used for him to record stuff for hs own pleasure. He did say nothing would tempt him back/

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1485112143' post='3221207']
Most musicians continue to play long after they have moved away from any limelight, however dim, they may have once enjoyed but there are some that just walk away. I remember loving Andy Mccullogh, the drummer from prog legends Greenslade. He left the music industry and went into sailing, running some sort of maritime tourist thing in the Med (or something like that). Seems a shame to me but I guess he had his reasons.

Any other players you liked who disappeared?
[/quote]

Chris degarmo guitarist in queensrhyche, vito brata guitarist in white lion, honerable mention for richie blackmore who stopped playing proper music long ago.

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1485124079' post='3221430']
Chris degarmo guitarist in queensrhyche, vito brata guitarist in white lion, honerable mention for richie blackmore who stopped playing proper music long ago.
[/quote]

Chris DeGarmo is still playing, this is with his daughter

https://youtu.be/0CdZOZGmWdU

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1485116423' post='3221293']

John mcGeoch, guitarist with Siouxsie and the Banshees, Magazine and PIL (and my all time favourite guitarist ever) had given up music and become a nurse too just before his untimely death.
[/quote]

Absolutely love McGeoch's sound and playing, especially with Magazine..

Back on topic, I've always wanted to know what happened to George Murray, who played bass on some of my favourite Bowie albums in the mid to late 70s. His playing with Dennis Davis and Carlos Alomar was just superb!

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1485113334' post='3221227']
Stuart Morrow, legendary original bassist for New Model Army....now a builder in the Bradford area as far as I know
[/quote]

Moose, another ex NMA bassist, is now in a comedy covers band in the Devizes area