Why become a member? ×

Overend Watts - RIP

madshadows

[quote name='madshadows' timestamp='1485114448' post='3221253']
...f@ck cancer !! :(

John
[/quote]

Having lost two dear friends recently and another enduring chemo right now, I have no words. Just so, so sad. :(

Hereford legend. He ran a great thrift/ vintage store here called the Dinosaur Market- all the labels misspelt in the most creative fashion. His metal bass was on the hanging on the wall, he told me I could try it if I could pick it up, knowing full well that I wouldn't even attempt it with my puny frame! But the store let us and many others sell our CDs, put posters up and supported live music- it was very much appreciated. Sad news of his passing.

I know Overend meant nothing to many people on this group, but his demise has really saddened me. Interestingly, Morgan Fisher posted up an email he'd gotten from Pete back in early December. It's both a sobering and upsetting read; there's humour, he expresses concern for Mick Ralphs while at the same time saying he's had enough and is fine about going. Honestly, what a bloke.

Tissues out:

[i]Oh Yay Clifford T. Whoard!
Thanks fur your lovely message me old son. Looks like the news is finally out.
But PLEASE KEEP IT UNDER YER HAT. IF POSS.[/i]

[i]Managed to keep it quiet for more than 6 years though - so that was pretty good.If you [/i]
[i]remember I wasn't great at Hammo in 2009 - felt very grimeworthy then !
I just dread being besieged by Mott fans - all PRAYING for me, sending cards or gifts -
or worse still, trying to visit me ! God forbid - even tho I don't believe in him - even NOW.
Can't deal with all that crap - even tho I know they mean well. My sis got a message from [/i]
[i]Joe Elliot yesterday which made me think the game might be up. I know [/i]
[i]Jean and Buff were overwhelmed and were upset by it all after going public.[/i]

[i]I think it's about 5 years too late for 2nd opinions now son. I've had every type of treatment, [/i]
[i]surgery etc, - it was far worse than the illness itself ! I've had enough now and am fine [/i]
[i]about going - it might be plezz up there (or down there)- an adventure, whichever way [/i]
[i]yer look at it. I'm not in any great pain, just giddy tired and weak. To be [/i]
[i]honest I'm more worried about Ralphur than myself right now. I really hope he [/i]
[i]recovers so he can play again. I love the guy so much - just as I love you son. [/i]
[i]I hated having to tell you that only the original band were doing the reunions - I know it [/i]
[i]must have hurt you a lot. One of me worst jobs ever. I wish we could've done it [/i]
[i]but it wasn't financially possble + too difficult to co-ordinate. with everyone concerned.[/i]

[i]The Hospice is great - very much like Carry On Nurse - so I 'aint complainin' ! Another [/i]
[i]3 decent years of travel would've been good but it's not to be.after all - but I did a hell of a lot anyway.
Glad you shifted the skin cancer - and I hope you have a long, healthy and happy life.[/i]

[i]I can hardly type so I may not be able to keep in touch, but i just wanted you [/i]
[i]to know that you are still the best musician I ever had the privilege to work with [/i]
[i]and a brill bloke to boot...... - but David Reid - guitarist from The Contrast 'int [/i]
[i]far behind you !!! I was gonna bloody join them on electric 6 & 12 string till [/i]
[i]this bloody disease returnrd. What a bummer that was.
Anyway, must sleep now. I refuse to say "Goodbye" [ so I;ll just say ........[/i]

[i]Take care Morgo - Love you son - Olde Gruff Pete xxx[/i]

[i]PS OH - PIES OF GRATE MEAT !! We had some great times didn' t we ![/i]

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1485342419' post='3223221']
I know Overend meant nothing to many people on this group, but his demise has really saddened me. Interestingly, Morgan Fisher posted up an email he'd gotten from Pete back in early December. It's both a sobering and upsetting read; there's humour, he expresses concern for Mick Ralphs while at the same time saying he's had enough and is fine about going. Honestly, what a bloke.

Tissues out:

[i]Oh Yay Clifford T. Whoard!
Thanks fur your lovely message me old son. Looks like the news is finally out.
But PLEASE KEEP IT UNDER YER HAT. IF POSS.[/i]

[i]Managed to keep it quiet for more than 6 years though - so that was pretty good.If you [/i]
[i]remember I wasn't great at Hammo in 2009 - felt very grimeworthy then !
I just dread being besieged by Mott fans - all PRAYING for me, sending cards or gifts -
or worse still, trying to visit me ! God forbid - even tho I don't believe in him - even NOW.
Can't deal with all that crap - even tho I know they mean well. My sis got a message from [/i]
[i]Joe Elliot yesterday which made me think the game might be up. I know [/i]
[i]Jean and Buff were overwhelmed and were upset by it all after going public.[/i]

[i]I think it's about 5 years too late for 2nd opinions now son. I've had every type of treatment, [/i]
[i]surgery etc, - it was far worse than the illness itself ! I've had enough now and am fine [/i]
[i]about going - it might be plezz up there (or down there)- an adventure, whichever way [/i]
[i]yer look at it. I'm not in any great pain, just giddy tired and weak. To be [/i]
[i]honest I'm more worried about Ralphur than myself right now. I really hope he [/i]
[i]recovers so he can play again. I love the guy so much - just as I love you son. [/i]
[i]I hated having to tell you that only the original band were doing the reunions - I know it [/i]
[i]must have hurt you a lot. One of me worst jobs ever. I wish we could've done it [/i]
[i]but it wasn't financially possble + too difficult to co-ordinate. with everyone concerned.[/i]

[i]The Hospice is great - very much like Carry On Nurse - so I 'aint complainin' ! Another [/i]
[i]3 decent years of travel would've been good but it's not to be.after all - but I did a hell of a lot anyway.
Glad you shifted the skin cancer - and I hope you have a long, healthy and happy life.[/i]

[i]I can hardly type so I may not be able to keep in touch, but i just wanted you [/i]
[i]to know that you are still the best musician I ever had the privilege to work with [/i]
[i]and a brill bloke to boot...... - but David Reid - guitarist from The Contrast 'int [/i]
[i]far behind you !!! I was gonna bloody join them on electric 6 & 12 string till [/i]
[i]this bloody disease returnrd. What a bummer that was.
Anyway, must sleep now. I refuse to say "Goodbye" [ so I;ll just say ........[/i]

[i]Take care Morgo - Love you son - Olde Gruff Pete xxx[/i]

[i]PS OH - PIES OF GRATE MEAT !! We had some great times didn' t we ![/i]
[/quote]

Must admit when I read this on Facebook it choked me up, what a man, a one off :)

John :D