Why become a member? ×

Unexpected Yamaha love at first sight

CameronJ

Evening folks,

So this afternoon I took a trip down to the Yamaha Music store in Central London to have a look at their wares. Many a lovely instrument on show. Out of curiosity I asked if I could have a play on a lovely looking BB1025x hanging on the wall, to which the very helpful sales guy obliged. He hooked me up to a Hartke combo, explained the controls and left me to my own devices.

I had a noodle for about 5 minutes and was floored by just how good it was. It really nailed the sound I aim for when EQing my other (active) basses but achieved it with just a bit of roll off on the tone knob. Those P/J pickups are seriously no slouch - the bass is completely passive and yet had a noticeably hotter output than the active TRB hanging next to it! Plus the neck and setup was one of the nicest I've ever laid hands on, it played like butter.

So I guess my question is, can anyone think of a reason I shouldn't buy it?? I'm sure my wallet will thank you...

Can't help your wallet, there is no reason for not buying it.
I had a couple of Yamahas before (not the model you've tried) but they were great instruments of high quality.
If you liked how it sounds and feels then you are set, as there is nothing to worry about the build quaility or such.

I came very close to getting the 4 string version when I was looking for a PJ at the start of the year, before I decided to go for the Fender Deluxe P instead.

It's a very nice bass indeed.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='therealting' timestamp='1485119608' post='3221365']
The one reason I can think of for not buying it is that occasionally they come up for sale secondhand, and those are ASTONISHING bargains.
[/quote]

I have my eye on one of those astonishing bargains as we speak! Gives me even less reason to say no.

Ive had a 1024 and a 1025 the 24 was very good but had a loose nut (not the end of the world). The 1025 was black and set up brilliant from the word go. I moved back to 4s and a p bass but the yam was something special. Those pups cut through like nothing else I'd had. Unless like me your a serial buyer/seller a good one could easily be 'the one'

Edited by thebuckets

I bought a BB425 recently and am really impressed that a 'budget' 5 string can sound and feel so good. It isn't as good as my Musicman Sterling 5er, but then it has cost me around £1000 less. Makes me wonder what the models further up the BB range are like - in fact I think I will start a thread on it.

Edited by Paul S

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1485169577' post='3221656']
Only acceptable reason not to is because you're putting that cash towards a 2025!
[/quote]

^ this!

I've had a 1025x and it was lovely. Bought it as my backup bass for the TRB and ended up being giged a lot. Great tone, light weight and super comfortable. I ended selling it over here when i needed the money to fund a Ken Smith purchase. I've sold the KS since and started to build the Yamaha collection again. One of the basses that eventually will feature there is the 2025x ;)

[quote name='tom1946' timestamp='1485179354' post='3221788']
The ONLY reason I wouldn't buy one is.........
No maple boards :( and it would be the 1024x
[/quote]

All Yammies i've played seem to have enough brightness in the treble to not need a maple FB. I do love maple FB's but now i find myself not owning any bass with one and i don't feel the lack of highs in any of them. ;)