Why become a member? ×

The London Concert 1972

blue

I'm fascinated with this concert film.

https://youtu.be/i_0l1zxNeKg

I was a Senior in High School in 1972.

My take away is how serious you guys take Rock & Roll. Obviously a good thing IMO.

I am not sure why. It might be because at the time we took it for granted and it was harder for you guys to access.

It looked like such a cool show and must have been a lot of fun. It also looked like an event where you could get in trouble.

I wish I could have been there.

You can get the point of the movie from the first few minutes in the opening scene.

Comments please.

Blue

Edited by blue

In 1972 I was fifteen and wouldn't have wanted to go and see that concert if you paid me ...I was into Budgie,Led Zepplin,Black Sabbath alongside Bowie,T.rex and the glam rock stuff.

I realise that Rock and Roll was tremendously important In the way music developed.....I did see Chuck Berry at Buxton....but it was "old music" to me and I wasn't interested.

Edited by Raymondo

[quote name='Raymondo' timestamp='1485122068' post='3221411']
In 1972 I was fifteen and wouldn't have wanted to go and see that concert if you paid me ...I was into Budgie,Led Zepplin,Black Sabbath alongside Bowie,T.rex and the glam rock stuff.

I realise that Rock and Roll was tremendously important In the way music developed.....I did see Chuck Berry at Buxton....but it was "old music" to me and I wasn't interested.
[/quote]

This thread really wasn't intended to generate anyone's interest or approval. It was really about my observation of how serious kids in the UK took rock & roll.

The headliners here had careers that had peaked long before 1972.

That music was before my time also. I just happen to have a keen interest in rock & roll history.

Yes that era of rock & roll was tremendously important. Looking at Little Richard in this film tells me at some level his appearance and costumes had some influence on glam rock.

Every generation has their shot.
Do you know what Led Zepplin is to teens today? " Old People's music or referred to as music my parents or in some cases my grandparents listened to.They have no real interest in it. Now, someone here will debate me and say, " my kids love Led Zeppelin" If they do, they are the exception.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1485135507' post='3221494']
Ok, cool. Someone tell me a little about Heinz.

Blue
[/quote]

I'm no expert, but there is a lot of mention of him and his relationship with legendary producer Joe Meek in the documentary "Telstar". I assume I'm thinking about the right bloke - a bit before my time. I wasn't there of course, so can't possibly know what I'm talking about ;-)

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1485135507' post='3221494']
Ok, cool. Someone tell me a little about Heinz.

Blue
[/quote]

Heinz was bass player for the Tornadoes (Telstar). I believe and Joe Meek groomed him to be a teen heart throb and he had a hit with an Eddie Cochran tribute song 'Just Like Eddie'. He continued to tour the working mens clubs and I'm sure I heard he had a stint as a bus driver too.
Looking him up it appears he passed away from motor neurone disease at the age of 57.

Malcolm McLaren made a few bob on his Rock n Roll stall flogging t shirts.
Superfan Jesus (he wore Jesus sandals) who is pictured grooving to the MC5 was at loads of the punk gigsI went to in the late 70s.
Here's some nice background about the event.

http://www.paulgormanis.com/?p=10612

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1485162899' post='3221551']
Malcolm McLaren made a few bob on his Rock n Roll stall flogging t shirts.
Superfan Jesus (he wore Jesus sandals) who is pictured grooving to the MC5 was at loads of the punk gigsI went to in the late 70s.
Here's some nice background about the event.

http://www.paulgormanis.com/?p=10612
[/quote]

Nice article, and concert promotion poster.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1485135423' post='3221493']

Do you know what Led Zepplin is to teens today? " Old People's music or referred to as music my parents or in some cases my grandparents listened to.They have no real interest in it. Now, someone here will debate me and say, " my kids love Led Zeppelin" If they do, they are the exception.

Blue
[/quote]

Nice to see you open to discussion as always Blue.

Blue
[/quote]

My kids love Led Zep and are massively jealous that I got to see them play live, and are certainly not the exception amongst their peer group.

Anyway. Back on topic. You may enjoy this one too Blue.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSDSand-6IY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSDSand-6IY[/url]

Gene Vincent on UK tour 1969. Touching, sometimes funy and other times quite sad documentary.

The Teddy Boy thing was quite big until the late 70s I would say. Then there was a Rockabilly revival as it was fading out.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1485177708' post='3221761']
I'm thinking the kids in Milwaukee are different to the ones here?
Bands like Sabbath and maiden are still a big deal here to younger fans, concerts like Download Festival are mainly frequented by younger folks afaik.
[/quote]

Um... Have you never seen Happy Days then?

The headliners here had careers that had peaked long before 1972.

[/quote]
Many of those acts were enjoying a resurgence in the late 60's and early 70's. Chuck Berry was No. 1 in the singles chart in the UK and the US around that time, albeit with 'My Ding-A-Ling'.

Which the UK kids I grew up with loathed and detested with a passion, since we had to sit through it on TOTP every week. I've no Idea who was buying tickets to this concert, but it wouldn't have been my definition of 'kids', more likely people who had missed out on seeing the acts in the '50s but were now middle aged with more disposable income.

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1485176103' post='3221745']

My kids love Led Zep and are massively jealous that I got to see them play live, and are certainly not the exception amongst their peer group.
[/quote]

Then your kids and their imediate peers are all exceptions. Unless kids are completely different in the UK.

Generally speaking young kids are not nto Led Zeppelin

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1485177708' post='3221761']
I'm thinking the kids in Milwaukee are different to the ones here?
Bands like Sabbath and maiden are still a big deal here to younger fans, concerts like Download Festival are mainly frequented by younger folks afaik.
[/quote]

You might have a point. In Milwaukee the kids are listening to electronic stuff, Bruno Mars, Ga Ga and Hip Hop. The young hipsters are listening to all sorts of Indie bands.

They are not listening to 70s Rock.

Blue

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1485177874' post='3221764']
Just had a look Blue, Aerosmith are the headline act for the last night this year, kids into rock and older bands are not just the exception at all.

Approx 110 thousand people over three days.
[/quote]

Bands like Aerosmith, Macca and The Stones are exceptions
Young kids will go to those shows because it's a huge pop scene. You won't convince me they are hard core fans.

Blue

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1485178737' post='3221778']
Anyway. Back on topic. You may enjoy this one too Blue.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSDSand-6IY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSDSand-6IY[/url]

Gene Vincent on UK tour 1969. Touching, sometimes funy and other times quite sad documentary.

The Teddy Boy thing was quite big until the late 70s I would say. Then there was a Rockabilly revival as it was fading out.
[/quote]

I will definitely check it out.

Blue

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1485175867' post='3221741']

Nice to see you open to discussion as always Blue.
[/quote]

Actually, I'm always open to discussion and my mind and positions can be changed if someone has a strong argument.

For example, I'm learning that the young kids taste in music in the UK might be different than the kids over here in the States.

Blue

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1485213203' post='3222270']
Take it from us blue, you are soon wrong about Led Zeppelin being Old People's Music. It might not be the case in the USA, but they are held in very high regard across the generations here in the UK.
[/quote]

To be realistic, I think the popularity of Zeppelin is probably far higher among older people than among today's bangin' yoof. And even back in the day they were something of a cult band to be eschewed by mainstream record buyers intent on dampening their gussets to Mr David Cassidy or Miss Suzi Quatro

While the band may form a small if respected component of some young peoples' musical diet I doubt it is quite as central to their continued existence as it is to those whose salad days are but a dim memory. While many of us wee-smelling wrinklies would like to think that the Mighty Zeppelin are still an omnipresent musical force I suspect that the erstwhile practitioners of 'light and shade' may enjoy a passing vogue only among a small minority of youths who for reasons best known to themselves embrace a historiographic musical perspective.

Anecdotes about one's offspring's approval of the Zep are (genuinely) rather lovely but does it [i]ever[/i] cross our failing and enfeebled minds that our progeny might charitably be indulging us in the mistaken belief that the [i]apparently[/i] continuing eminence of our long-dead favourite band means we are still relevant? That such a kindly deception is meant to ease our eventual and inevitable passage into that land of ice and snow and the midnight sun, where the hot springs flow?