Why become a member? ×

Strings query / advice

dmccombe7

Currently using D'Addario nickel 40-100 on my Jazz bass.
Used Fender equivelants before that.

Historically i always kept my plucking finger nails just long enough to catch the string and produce a nice sharp attack.
As i've gotten older my nails are occasionally breaking and causing changes in tone when playing. I have since cut nails short to keep a consistent tone.

My query is that i'm finding the D'Addario nickels don't quite have enough punch or growl and i seem to just get a lot of low end.
Does anyone have any suggestions on strings that might help give me some clearer mids / hi end.

I'm currently playing funk / blues material.

I've been looking at DR's and Ernie Ball nickel strings but not sure which would be best.
The DR's are quite expensive and don't really want to waste £36 on a set of strings that don't work for me.
There's also some debate about DR gauge. Some suggest going to 45-105 as DR's are more flex.

I've searched BC forums but don't see any similar topics in recent pages.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

I used to use the D'Addario ones you're using, that gauge and also 45-105... I found the Ernie Ball nickels a bit nicer and punchier, especially for a 'finger funk' type of sound... but I am much happier with the stainless steel DR Fat Beams. They are more expensive, but I find that after they loose the initial over bright 'zing', the tone is just right and lasts longer than the D'Addarios (for my taste). They also feel great. The Fat Beams on the Stingray or a Jazz are very nice

I cut my nails short to avoid catching the strings with them and alternate between the D'Addario XLs and DR Sunbeams. I find the D'Addario's a bit too bright in comparison so I go down the Sunbeams route whenever I can afford it.

What about the DR Lo-Rider nickel strings. Anyone compared them with the D'Addarios or Sunbeams.

Did see the Fat Beams but description on them wasn't clear as to what they were made from.
Certainly Marcus Miller has a really nice tone on his Jazz altho its an active bass.

Anyone got comparison with the D'Addarios V's Ernie Ball Slinky nickels. ?

Dave

[quote name='Davo-London' timestamp='1485178498' post='3221774']
Massive fan of Sunbeams here. Worth a try if you are a nickel fan. Mine seems to last a long time. Even when the initial freshness has gone (ie zing reduced) they have a lovely tone. I would also say that if you generally find you are missing fatness, punch or growl - turn up the amp!

Davo
[/quote]

Don't seem to be missing the fatness but some of the growl which i had always assumed it was down to using my fingernails for more attack.
Could well be i need to reduce bass levels, add some more mids and as you say turn up the amp a little.
I tend to run my amps flat with occasionally a touch of mid boost.

Dave

[quote name='Davo-London' timestamp='1485178498' post='3221774']
Massive fan of Sunbeams here. Worth a try if you are a nickel fan. Mine seems to last a long time. Even when the initial freshness has gone (ie zing reduced) they have a lovely tone. I would also say that if you generally find you are missing fatness, punch or growl - turn up the amp!

Davo
[/quote]

Ditto - lovely strings, currenty some 40-100's on one of my basses

IIRC, aren't the Nickel windings over round core instead of the usual hex core ?

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1485186214' post='3221890']

IIRC, aren't the Nickel windings over round core instead of the usual hex core ?
[/quote]

From what i've read yep they are a round core.

Dave

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1485186214' post='3221890']

[/quote]
Sunbeams are nickel roundcore.
Lo Riders are nickel hexcore.

Fatbeams and Hi Beams are steel roundcore.
Lo Rider steels are steel hexcore.

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1485196435' post='3222020']
Sunbeams are nickel roundcore.
Lo Riders are nickel hexcore.

Fatbeams and Hi Beams are steel roundcore.
Lo Rider steels are steel hexcore.
[/quote]

Excellent info.

Quite fancy trying the Sunbeams just for a change.
Dave

I still prefer the cheap Roto nickel sets over the more expensive other brands out there that I have tried.

If it aint broke ect....

Not saying other brands are rubbish as some folks will swear by what they like but for me....I just like these the best.

Jazz bass. Funk soul covers mainly plus normal function stuff.

Plus because they are cheap you dont mind changing them so much. A sweaty gig with a £35.00 set of strings will go dead just as fast as the cheap ones ( with me they do!!) and a non sweaty gig will see em last just as long. If I have one of them really nice three gigs back to back weekends, one set will do just fine. (unless I'm feeling like for some reason the next gig is special and therefore warrants another new set). At the cheap end of the market you can spoil your self if that new string thang is your thing.
Also when they are played in a bit and also when they are almost dead they have a nice tone as well so its a win win as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by bassjim

Sunbeams are round wound with a round core.
Think you can get flatwound DR strings tho.
Bass Direct have a fair selection in stock and bit cheaper than my usual Strings Direct and Strin Busters.
Also noted that GAK strings are a bit cheaper than strings suppliers mentioned above.

Dave