Why become a member? ×

Laptop for live work

radiophonic

My band use a simple Line 6 keyboard controller with a MacBook Pro (running MainStage 3) as part of of our live set up. Ideally I'd like to use one for some signal processing too (via Max/MSP). However, even in this fairly limited application we're getting over heating and software freezes. I'm also a bit concerned about the fragility of the computer itself - magnetic power plug, nasty/noisy PSU, humidity (including beer).These machines get used by electronic producers and DJs all the time - apparently without issue. Is there an alternative? or, is there a reliable method of gig proofing a machine without adding further ventilation problems?

Mods: Not sure if this belongs in 'Other Instruments' or 'Gen'. Feel free to move it if needed.

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1485163749' post='3221558']
WE have 3 macbooks on stage all running various programmes, including mainstage, without hitch..... what are the specs of your book? For reference we use early 2011 model i7 with 16gb ram
[/quote]

I'll check the hardware revision, but just for ref, which version of Mainstage are you running?

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1485165763' post='3221598']
Its the latest... just upgraded the Logic package last week
[/quote]

OK - That's interesting. We should be okay then [i]in theory[/i]. My guess (it's not my hardware) is that the HDD is old and / or there's insufficient RAM. If the machine is trying to use swap space and finding bad sectors, overheating and freezing is what you would expect. This might be a cheap fix. Is the cheap and nasty PSU the only way though? They are so easily knocked and the power cables are really thin. You do see that logo everywhere though, so I guess I'm being paranoid.

I use a 2012 MacBook for my solo stuff. It provides all the effect processing and I record my sets too, with no issues. I use Logic Pro for this.

Re the overheating, where do you have it set up ?

I have mine on a stand, so there's air circulating around it. Chances are, if you see someone on stage with a laptop, it'll be a MacBook.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1485183677' post='3221858']
I use a 2012 MacBook for my solo stuff. It provides all the effect processing and I record my sets too, with no issues. I use Logic Pro for this.

Re the overheating, where do you have it set up ?

I have mine on a stand, so there's air circulating around it. Chances are, if you see someone on stage with a laptop, it'll be a MacBook.
[/quote]

It's on a stand - which is why I'm becoming convinced that it's related to HD swap / memory issues.

Maxing out the ram and installing an SSD are both worth doing to maximise performance.

The official Apple PSU has never given me any noise issues on my own or other people's laptops, but I've had horrendous problems with unofficial replacements.

In terms of gig-proofing, on touring setups, anything gig-critical will likely have a hot backup running. You can get clever failsafe systems for running two playback computers with an automatic switchover if one fails, but that all gets quite pricey. Having a second machine accessible that you can fire up in time for the next song is probably worth looking at though.

When I was running a MacBook for my bands backing, it was mounted in a 3U rack case with a detachable top. MacBook sat on the top 1U space on a shelf and the MIDI and audio interface occupied the lowest 1U. Everything was hard wired together inside the rack including the PSU so that there was no chance of anything becoming unplugged mid-gig. There was a patch panel on the back for the audio and MIDI outputs from the interface all on clearly marked XLR connectors.

At the gig I simply set this rack up on it's stand removed the front, back and top panels, plugged in the connections for the audio and external MIDI gear, one mains plug for all the equipment in the rack, and then opened up the MacBook and I ready to go.

As others have said, you need to Max out the RAM and replace the HDD with the biggest SSD you can afford. IME spinning disk media is not reliable enough in most gig situations, the vibrations from the bass content can set off the hard disk protection, which might be the cause of your audio glitches etc.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1485205472' post='3222150']
When I was running a MacBook for my bands backing, it was mounted in a 3U rack case with a detachable top. MacBook sat on the top 1U space on a shelf and the MIDI and audio interface occupied the lowest 1U. Everything was hard wired together inside the rack including the PSU so that there was no chance of anything becoming unplugged mid-gig. There was a patch panel on the back for the audio and MIDI outputs from the interface all on clearly marked XLR connectors.

At the gig I simply set this rack up on it's stand removed the front, back and top panels, plugged in the connections for the audio and external MIDI gear, one mains plug for all the equipment in the rack, and then opened up the MacBook and I ready to go.

As others have said, you need to Max out the RAM and replace the HDD with the biggest SSD you can afford. IME spinning disk media is not reliable enough in most gig situations, the vibrations from the bass content can set off the hard disk protection, which might be the cause of your audio glitches etc.
[/quote]

This is the way to do it really. Everything fixed in place and connections all permanently patched in to avoid damage, wear and tear, and mis-patching. Worth the few quid in D-type connectors to make a patch panel on the case.