Why become a member? ×

Non-dreary theory?

highwayman

I'm about eight months into my bass journey and have made some decent progress: I grasped playing with a plectrum pretty quickly, then (hiding my plectrums) I've developed my (two) finger technique in the past six weeks.

I'm working my way through both Hal Leonard and Stuart Clayton books and can now read music notation a bit - though when a piece is written in notation above and tab below, I can't help my eyes from going to the tab every time!

Since December 15th I've been keeping track of my daily bass practice in a journal, noting what I've done and for how long. I've also recorded days off. Today I was (unusually) fed up, as I feel I'm no closer to understanding [i]why[/i]?

When the books do touch on theory I find it really dry, & my brain switches off. Right now I feel like I'm getting just ok at copying and that's it.

Is there a way of learning bass guitar theory for kids? (not that I am one), as sometimes such teaching methods are the best. I feel like I'm hitting a wall.

Theory is dry. Unfortunately, there's not a lot that you can do to 'dress it up'.

What [i]isn't[/i] dry is the application of theory, i.e. [b]making music[/b]. After all, that's why most of us got into playing, right?

It's easy to get bogged down in the nuts and bolts of things and lose sight of the bigger picture; you can learn theory until you're blue in the face, but if you can't apply it in a playing situation then it's pointless.

(I say this as someone who suffers from this exact problem - I understand many things on an intellectual level but can't apply them in real time on the instrument).

If you could share what you've been practising and (more importantly) what you want to sound like then it'd be easier to advise on a course of action.

Thanks for showing an interest: so far I've really just been playing the exercise pieces in the books, oh & I've learned the lick to Michael McDonald's 'I Keep Forgetting', which I play far too much!

What I'd like to do is know how to build some cool cinematic grooves, nothing too complex.

I think that the times when you feel like giving up on something are when you're on the cusp of moving forward.

I have been playing fir less time than you and have found playing with others to be the biggest help. So far it has been adapted covers, well known tracks but always tweaked one way or another. At first it was the much more experienced guitarist saying trybthis or that but increasingly I will know what to do to make it sound right. I can't put my finger on why, but I just seem to know when it sounds right. I would love to know the theory behind why but for know I am just enjoying playing. I also mess about with sections I know and try to blend them with other things or add my own twist. Sometimes it works well, others not so much.....

Try and get your hands on a copy of [url="https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bass-Guitar-Dummies-Patrick-Pfeiffer/dp/1118748808/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485275192&sr=8-1&keywords=bass+guitar+for+dummies"]Bass guitar for dummies[/url] by Patrick Pfeiffer.

Someone bought me a copy of it for Christmas a few years back as a so called novelty gift, but it actually turns out to be one of the best, non-dreary theory books that I've ever used.
Up until that point I'd been playing for about 20 years and been through though quite a few theory books. Like you I found them to be mostly dry and uninspiring, whereas this is simple, straight forward and to the point. It manages to get the key points across succinctly without blinding you with science or making you lose the will to live.

For example, like a lot of people, I'd spent years struggling to grasp the concept of modes. This book covers modes in a sentence or 2, which once I read it, I thought to myself "is that it, is it really that simple?" And yes, it is. It's just that everything I'd read about modes to that point had made the subject seem like an unnecessarily complex, esoteric mystery.

Like all dummies books, it can get a bit [i]Sesame Street[/i] in places, but if you can live with that it's a superb book.
It may not be the most thorough, but I think that's what stops it getting tedious. However it covers the important, fundamental principles in an easy to understand way.

[quote name='TKenrick' timestamp='1485196867' post='3222026']
Theory is dry. Unfortunately, there's not a lot that you can do to 'dress it up'.

What [i]isn't[/i] dry is the application of theory, i.e. [b]making music[/b]. After all, that's why most of us got into playing, right?

It's easy to get bogged down in the nuts and bolts of things and lose sight of the bigger picture; you can learn theory until you're blue in the face, but if you can't apply it in a playing situation then it's pointless.
[/quote]

This. I'm afraid the theory thing is all about putting the work in and learning your chord tones / applied harmony and how it works in various musical situations - in that respect, it isn't "fun" - it's work. The "fun" part of it is (as TKenrick pointed out) when you apply it in a playing situation - then what you've learned actually comes out of you via the instrument.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd like to thank you guys for discussing this. I've played for 27 years now and theory has always been a huge turn-off. I'll be checking out some of those books: I can read dots but actual applied theory is something I just don't do at the moment. As a result, I've got chops but if someone gives me a chart, I've got to go through it with actual music to play against. I'd like to change this.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='basexperience' timestamp='1487624493' post='3241356']
I can read dots but actual applied theory is something I just don't do at the moment.
[/quote]

Learning theory is much easier (in terms of sheer man-hours) than learning to read dots in real time so youve really already done the hard bit.

Only caution is that its more "lumpy" to learn, you often need to know several interrelated things before you can see how its applied.

Seek out an enthusiastic teacher! :) Find someone who really loves their instrument and is excited about teaching you the dry stuff in an informative and engaging way.

Just recently a student told me that she'd manage to learn more about theory in one hour than in six lessons of extra school coaching!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1487705232' post='3242057']
Seek out an enthusiastic teacher! :) Find someone who really loves their instrument and is excited about teaching you the dry stuff in an informative and engaging way.

Just recently a student told me that she'd manage to learn more about theory in one hour than in six lessons of extra school coaching!
[/quote]
In my experience finding such a teacher can be harder than learning it from a book. But maybe that's just me.

• 1 month later...

Ariane Cap's book just landed through my door and I'm looking forward to getting stuck in this coming week on night shift.

She has a wall chart due out soon with a lot of the main theory points set out.

I'm keen to increase my knowledge and this book appeals as it's written using theory, useful fretboard 'box' diagrams and from a bassist perspective.

I only just realised the circle of 4th/5th correspond to the bass strings (I've a 5 string)yet I've know that it's tuned to 4th's just never thought to apply it. What a fool!

Wall chart link!

https://arisbassblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/17553662_10154978685176125_7416220937550081880_n.jpg

I learnt the first part of the mode thing (aeolian, Lydian, phyrigian ect) in a parrot fashion style. The guy that taught me got me to learn these modes in both C and for contrast Ab. It didn't do anything for me to begin with. It was just a load of scales. Then one day like a penny drop light bulb moment it started fitting together.

I set about trying to relay this new found knowledge to a band mate but realised because I had done what the teacher had told me would happen, Id made my own sense of it, the universal way of teaching it was already a reasonable way of explaining it.

I didn't have the advantage of the internet at the time so missed out on any alternative or possibly better ways to learn it. But however you learn it and eventually process it, its a valuable addition to your journey.

Edited by bassjim