Why become a member? ×

Peavey T40

ProfJames

• 3 weeks later...

Recent update from Reverb...........................

[b] Peavey T-60 and T-40[/b]
[color=#515251]
In the late '70s, Peavey introduced the T-series as its first attempt to break into the guitar and bass market. These instruments were built in Mississippi and included a number of different models of varying size and pickup configurations. The most common models were the dual humbucker T-60 and T-40 bass, which feature particularly thin neck profiles and shoulder-pain-inducing body weight.[/color][color=#515251]
The pickups on these guitars absolutely wail, and the thin neck profile makes this a totally suitable metal guitar in addition to other rock styles. In recent years, a new wave of players have uncovered the appeal of these instruments which is definitely starting to drive prices up. A few years ago, T-60s were selling in the range of $300. More recently, we've seen sales topping $700 for specimens in really great condition.[/color]

If anyone needs replacement pots for the T-40, I bought a bagful way back when I had one, and still have quite a few.
Custom taper IIRC, for tone control going from humbucker full open to treble-bled single coil. I think it was that way round!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Peavey Dyna just turned up after six weeks waiting. Incredible bass in my opinion. Only played her for an hour and it is too good for my level. Peavey range impresses me so much. Just found a black T45 as well..........it's on the way from Glasgow!

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1493061803' post='3285325']
Congratulations ProfJames. Glad my prediction about you liking the Dynabass came true.
Wonder if the T45 is the one that sold in Port Glasgow couple of year back ?
[/quote]

It is a black one, the current owner bought it off a pal who needed some money, he had it for a few years under his bed as did the previous owner! The seller is a guitarist who does not play bass.

Dyna bass is wonderful, as good as you stated.

T40 for sale.....$799..............http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1981-Peavey-T-40-Bass-Guitar-with-Original-Hardshell-Case-Very-Nice-/222481255443?hash=item33ccea8c13:g:BNUAAOSwvKtY97pT

They seem to be going up on a monthly basis

Great article on the T40 and T45

It’s been more than 25 years since the Peavey Electronics Company introduced its revolutionary T-60 guitar and T-40 bass to a market that was immediately impacted by their quality and value.
Moreover, the way the company built T-60s and T-40s – utilizing computer numerical control (CNC) routing machines and pre-stressed necks (carved with the truss rods in them), and other innovations, forever changed the guitar-manufacturing landscape.
While the T-40 remained in the line for almost a decade, a single-pickup bass known as the T-45 appeared, along with other new T-series instruments, in 1982. Initial reaction may have been that the T-45 was designed to hit a lower price point, but Hartley Peavey considered his products more dependable and a better value.
The less-popular T-45 differed from the T-40 in a number of ways besides having one less pickup. The single humbucker on the T-45 was the same as the two pickups found on the T-40, and it also had the same unique tone circuit, which allowed one coil to be “faded out” (the term used on factory price lists) to affect a single-coil sound. Also different was the location of the T-45’s “harmonically-placed” pickup. The T-40 had a phase-reverse switch, while the T-45 didn’t… but note that the T-45 has three knobs – volume, tone, and a “special mid-frequency rolloff control for maximum tonal flexibility.”
Curiously, one word was altered in price lists after ’82; the third knob was referred to as a “special low-frequency rolloff control.”
As for necks, the T-45 offered a 21-fret version, while the T-40 had 20 frets. On price lists from ’82 through ’85, the scale on the T-40 was referred to as “long;”the T-45’s scale was referred to as “34”.”
By the November ’86 price list (the last for the T-45), the T-40 had also affected the numerical description of its scale length, as well as a trademarked “Graphlon” composite nut. The T-45 spec list did not mention it.
Was the T-45 on the way out?
While some early T-45s may have been made with an oiled natural finish on an ash body (a la the original T-40s), that version didn’t appear on price lists. Instead, the single-pickup basses were first offered in Black, White, Sunburst, Blood Red, and Royal Burgundy finishes with maple fretboards at a list price of $424.50, or with a rosewood fretwood as a $25 upgrade.
And here’s the historical rub: throughout the half-decade or so that T-40s and T-45s were both offered, they (all finishes and options being equal) always carried the same list price! With the exception of the natural-finished T-40s ($399.50 with a maple neck, $424.50 with a rosewood neck in ’82), the prices for similar finishes and fretboards were equal. The T-40 retained Burgundy longer than the T-45, and the T-40 would ultimately acquire a metallic “Frost Blue” finish ($75 upgrade) while the T-45 would not. But both instruments listed for $354.50 in standard finishes. On that list, the T-40 was available in the lower-priced Natural, as well as Red and Black, while the T-45 was available in Black, White, Sunburst, or Red.
Semantics aside, the Peavey T-45 was not just a one-pickup version of the T-40. Rather, it had its own features and capabilities, and any perception that it was simply a cheaper version of the original is an unfortunate stereotype.

Never any shortage of T40's for sale in the States. 7 on eBay this week. That one won't sell,not when the other 6 are around "$400 or best offer"
$450 has been the steady high price for 2 year at least, but could be a price spike starting in 2018/19 when the newly turned 40 folks want a birth year bass :lol:

Unity's are through neck PJ's. The Dyna/Unity Series is a Unity with Dyna preamp. It also has a 42mm nut on a thicker neck. Dyna basses originally came with 2 styles of neck, 38mm nut or 42mm nut.

The Dyna/Unity neck always reminds me of the Sarzo bass. Of the two I prefer the Dyna/Unity tone.

You looking at the Koa on GC ?

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1493155433' post='3286177']
Never any shortage of T40's for sale in the States. 7 on eBay this week. That one won't sell,not when the other 6 are around "$400 or best offer"
$450 has been the steady high price for 2 year at least, but could be a price spike starting in 2018/19 when the newly turned 40 folks want a birth year bass :lol:
[/quote]

Three T45 basses on Reverb in total. All over £450 not dollars! Is the T45 more popular than the T40?

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1493221404' post='3286670']
Unity's are through neck PJ's. The Dyna/Unity Series is a Unity with Dyna preamp. It also has a 42mm nut on a thicker neck. Dyna basses originally came with 2 styles of neck, 38mm nut or 42mm nut.

The Dyna/Unity neck always reminds me of the Sarzo bass. Of the two I prefer the Dyna/Unity tone.

You looking at the Koa on GC ?
[/quote]

Thanks Kodiak..............great knowledge, just saw a Unity on eBay for £600 plus! Not looking at GC will do now. What is the Koa model please?

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1493236443' post='3286857']
I never realised the T45 had 21 frets. I had a quick Google Image Search and found a picture of a 40 and 45 together, with 21 and 20 frets respectively. I guess they had been neck swapped?
[/quote]

When my 45 turns up tomorrow I'll be counting! I believe that the necks are swappable (only from what I've read).

First thing I've got to make clear. Buying on Reverb is like buying in the souk,haggling it the order of the day. "Cutting a deal" is part of American culture so keep that in mind. Nobody should ever pay the asking price nor take it as an items worth.

My opinion,based on the number of Peavey folk I keep in contact with,is the T45 is no where near as popular as the T40. There's just less made. It's a mass produced item so claims of them being "rare" are BS.

T45 are 21 fret and yes you can swap necks with a T40. There's enough play on the bridge saddles. Even though they are CNC built ,I've saw tolerances vary by up to 1.6mm.

Koa is a Hawaiian hard wood used on some Unitys,the RJ-IV deluxe and the RSB Koa. Might one or 2 others. Some eejit tried a thumb rest on the GC one so there's holes by both pickups.

£645 is nuts. So far this year the 4 folk I know who bought Dyna/Unity basses none paid more than $450. Christ my friend Ronnie got his Koa Dyna/Unity last week for $375 delivered.

Don't believe Reverb asking prices, it's pie in the sky stuff.

[i][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Koa is a Hawaiian hard wood used on some Unitys,the RJ-IV deluxe and the RSB Koa. Might one or 2 others. Some eejit tried a thumb rest on the GC one so there's holes by both pickups.[/font][/color][/i]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Kodiak................do you rate the Koa Unity above the USA Cirrus?[/font][/color]

Hard to say ProfJames. Cirrus was top of the range,35" scale active. Koa Untiy was 34" scale passive and is 10 years older.
Healthy interest in the USA regarding Cirrus, the Unity interest is really only with folks who regret selling theirs years back.

That's the current Peavey market, a whole bunch of 40-50 year olds buying old basses they remember from years before.

Both are really nice basses but different animals. Sorry I can't advise better.

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1493245242' post='3286930']
Hard to say ProfJames. Cirrus was top of the range,35" scale active. Koa Untiy was 34" scale passive and is 10 years older.
Healthy interest in the USA regarding Cirrus, the Unity interest is really only with folks who regret selling theirs years back.

That's the current Peavey market, a whole bunch of 40-50 year olds buying old basses they remember from years before.

Both are really nice basses but different animals. Sorry I can't advise better.
[/quote]

Good enough for me