Why become a member? ×

Any Open Mic Nights in Cardiff?

Ashweb

Hi all,

I'm currently working in Cardiff during the week and have been playing bass for just over a year. Several people have recommended that to move my playing on a bit, I should seek out some open mic nights and go along with my bass.

This has proved easier said than done. I've looked up several venues on web sites only to find that when I look up the venue via Google to confirm, they either have cancelled these until further notice, don't do them at all any more or in one case been turned into flats (RIP The Wharf).

I'm playing mainly rock and blues numbers so somewhere with similar musical tastes would be good, I'm in Cardiff most evenings (but not Fridays or weekends - go home to family then) and would love to hear from any BC members in the area who could recommend somewhere suitable - might even meet you there and buy you a drink :D

Thanks in advance for your help.

used to be one in the claude in roath?
Heard people mention the Earl Haig in whitchurch but looks like its a monthly thing on a weekend

https://www.facebook.com/pg/earlhaigmemorialclub.co.uk/events/

I've never been interested in them so cant vouch for them.
may be seek out some other newbies and go to one of the rehearsal rooms? (eg musicbox)

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll look to get out to Pontypridd for the Feb jam, miles'tone; looks like a good night. I might even have a colleague with me if he's down this way at the time.

Musicbox looks interesting, but I'll need to find a drummer and guitar player who are looking to start playing with others, otherwise I'll probably be holding them up. If anyone is interested, let me know.

Any more tips on places holding open mic night still welcome.

I've found the only way is to start a diary, open mic's are always tricky to track down. Often they are only advertised in the pubs that host them and unless they are weekly are often poorly attended. Once you get to the first one talk to the people there who will know where the others are and which are the best ones to aim at. Once I started a diary locally I was stunned to find there are several every day of the week within driving distance. Trouble is the diary goes out of date all the time as they often only run for a few months only to pop up somewhere else.

Might be worth a visit to Musicbox anyway. If nothing else there's a notice board in the foyer where people advertise gigs, gear for sale, bands looking for musicians (and vice versa). You could put a poster up 'bassist seeking band'.

It might even be worth asking the guys that run the place whether they know of any opportunities to play, either open mic or band openings. They're a friendly bunch

Thanks for taking the time to respond guys, much appreciated. Looks like I'll be paying a visit to Musicbox at some point; I'll need to get GAS in check first though otherwise it might get expensive.... ;)

I'll keep checking back on openmicfinder as it updates; it was this site I was using initially and as reported above, I found a lot of the details at that time to be out of date. A good idea but as ever, it's only up to date if those posting on it update their details.

I'm sure there's good venues in Chepstow, but I'll give Cardiff a good go first off; it seems a pretty dynamic area and as Phil says, once I get to one I can get the inside track on other venues in the area.

I'll keep you updated how I get on.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1485302399' post='3223035']
There's a good blues jam night at Clwb Y Bont in Pontypridd tomorrow night. Every last Wednesday of the month. Near the train station.
I won't be there but I will be at Febs jam. Some really good players there and a welcoming bunch too.
[/quote]
Just dug this one out from a while back...

You still going to the Feb jam, miles'tone'? I should be able to make it although not sure what value I'll add to the occasion :)

[quote name='Ashweb' timestamp='1487629923' post='3241415']

Just dug this one out from a while back...

You still going to the Feb jam, miles'tone'? I should be able to make it although not sure what value I'll add to the occasion :)
[/quote]

Unfortunately not Ash. I'm up in North Wales for half term so I'll miss this Weds jam. Get out there, have a go!

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1485854105' post='3227142']
I used to run a Jazz jam session at the Four Bars Inn years ago. It moved to the Sandringham Hotel but I don't know if it is still running. Why not approach the Cardiff music shops and ask if they know of any sessions?
[/quote]

Do you know the Four Bars (or Dempseys as it's been for a while) closed at the beginning of this month?
Another great live venue in Cardiff gone.

Thanks for the info JTB, I shall have a look at the 147 club.

I'm not around on Sundays so won't be able to make that one; I did spot the Jim Jam on my initial search but it looks like it's been [url="http://www.thejimjam.co.uk/"]cancelled [/url] If you know it's definitely on then I'll give them a call and sort something out - and tell them to update their website! Might be an idea to [s]stalk [/s]follow Mr. Morley as you suggest.

Thanks again for the info and taking the time to post.