Why become a member? ×

Calling Trace Anoraks - Late AH300-12 vs Later AH600-12

Deedee

Hi all

Just wanting to pick the brains of the Trace loving fraternity here. I've had several Trace amps and combos and currently have an AH250SMX (which I love to bits) and also a Series 6 1215 combo.

I'm looking to add to these and would like to try one of the later 12 band models, either an AH300-12 or the later AH600-12. Just wondering what people's thoughts are on these? Pros and cons of the features on each (and that particular generation) etc. I've read that there were some reliability issues with the AH600-12 but I'm also sure that they must be a great used bargain now (crazy prices when new). I also know that there are at least a couple of players on here who love their AH300-12 heads.

Any thoughts or opinions would be gratefully received.

Edited by Deedee

I own an AH600 12 made by Peavey. I bought it second hand last year, it's had an anode resistor and capacitor changed in the valve stage just last week due to an on going noise that took a bit of tracing. Other than that it's great. Very loud, I bought a Retroglide 800 to use while this was being worked on, It isn't in the same league sound wise or for punch.

I normally use the TE with every thing on, valve drive blend at max but drive at zero. The compression on but set very low and pre shape on. Tight and punchy with a bit of grind.

If I could find another manufacturer that gave me the same sound but from a new product I'd buy that. Let's see what the new Trace Elliot comes up with.

Personally I'd take an AH500-12 the same generation as the 300-12 (not the first Peavey one) you mention although out of all of them, 400SMX takes the top spot.. I quite liked the 500/600 and 1000/1200 Peavey owned Trace models but doon't think you can much beat an SMX. For the record, I've never owned a Peavey era Trace but have had lots of the older models..

Just throwing a cat amongst the pigeons.. :ph34r:

[quote name='VTypeV4' timestamp='1485287173' post='3222836']Just throwing a cat amongst the pigeons.. :ph34r:
[/quote]

Haha, I'm all for difference of opinion. Keep them coming!

I think the AH500-12 would be overkill for me. I do like the 2U size (I've had 350 and 600 SMX's in the past and always went back to the 250 as it had all the features I needed without the bulk).

[quote name='2elliot' timestamp='1485281263' post='3222775']If I could find another manufacturer that gave me the same sound but from a new product I'd buy that. Let's see what the new Trace Elliot comes up with.
[/quote]

+1 to that.

Thanks for your thoughts on the 600.

Please note: I am happy to be corrected on this.

Personally I've no experience of the later (Peavey) models....I've only owned early 7 band models - I was advised years ago by a respected fellow musician to stear clear of the later (Peavey) models as the build quality was not as good as the earlier stuff designed and built in the UK. By the time Peavey owned TE most of the more respected endorcees had left.

I agree that the price of the old TE is ridiculously low at the moment, considering what you get for your buck, however with the looming release in the micro amp, the Elf, I expect a resurgence of interest in the brand, even though, in reality, it has little to do with the original British company.

If you feel that you need more power/wattage I'd hang on till I could find an earlier, British built, model and spend a few bob getting it serviced. My local Amp Tech charged me £80 odd for a full repair and service (loose bolt securing a module to the chassis).

Personally I've no experience of the later models

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1485290411' post='3222879']
wasn't the SMX just the preamp? then they bolted on different power amps, I've sot a SMX 12 EQ with an AH200 power amp
[/quote]

The AH bit does refer to the power section eg. AH400 = Amp Head 400 (power in Watts obviously).

SMX is the dual band compressor.

The pre-amp is designated by the gp12 (or gp7, Series 6 etc) bit.

Hence the full model name of the AH400 is actually: gp12 AH400 SMX.

Really wish I hadn't sold mine :(.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1485290314' post='3222878']
If you feel that you need more power/wattage I'd hang on till I could find an earlier, British built, model and spend a few bob getting it serviced. My local Amp Tech charged me £80 odd for a full repair and service (loose bolt securing a module to the chassis).

[/quote]

I do love the old amps and I've had numerous heads and combos including several SMX's and a Hexavalve.

To be honest I don't think you can top the GP12 SMX models for usable features. That's why I'd like to try one of the later models because, although different to the SMX, they have some bells and whistles that the other older heads just don't have.

PS it's certainly not that I need more power, my 250 through a BF 2 x 12 would wipe the floor with most things :D

I was happy with the 300 SMX I owned many years ago - coupled to the 2103H and 1153 it was a decent sounding and pokey rig that was manageable size-wise.. I very much doubt many of us could tell the difference between your 250 and the later 300 models in terms of the alleged ~50w although the extra bells and whistles of the post SMX 12 band model will throw some more sonic possibilities into your sound..?

Personally, I'd take the older model.. :)

i have an AH300smx head ive owned since new, never felt the need to upgrade it has always delivered and is plenty loud enough. i've just started gigging again and its still a joy to use.
though i sold the old Ampeg 1510 i used to use with it, that was a really nice cab i miss that one, i just use a 15" marshall cab now,although i have a couple of bullfrog alumabass 2x10 cabs i just bought which i may use.

Well, rightly or wrongly I went for it and was lucky enough to pick up an AH600-12 at a very good price tonight. I'll let you know my thoughts once I've picked it up and given it a blast 😜

Edited by Deedee

[quote name='Deedee' timestamp='1485475484' post='3224335']
Well, rightly or wrongly I went for it and was lucky enough to pick up an AH600-12 at a very good price tonight. I'll let you know my thoughts once I've picked it up and given it a blast 😜
[/quote]

I prefer my ah600-12 over my 1225v which I have owned since new. It's far more versatile. It'll be interesting to read your thoughts. I've never owned any of the SMX range to compare it against the Peavey products.

Picked up the AH-600-12 last night and I've only had chance to play it at bedroom levels this morning.

First impressions? Very good:[list]
[*]Very easy to get a decent sound from the off. Even with the graphic flat it sounded great when tried with a couple of different basses
[*]Drive and blend are far more sensitive and therefore more aggressive than i was expecting, but can obviously be toned down for just a touch of bite. All very different to the SMX valve/blend set up
[*]The compression is again far more sensitive than on an SMX. The slightest tweak and you can hear the difference straight away
[*]Fans are quiet and working without rattles and squeaks
[*]All knobs, buttons and sliders feel solid
[/list]
When I plugged it in last night just to 'light it up' I did think that the centre of the graphic was unlit suggesting that a bulb was out at the back. There may well be, but looking at other pictures and asking a couple of other BCers I'm not 100% whether there's a light out or not (no Smiths jokes thank you).

I did also notice that when playing with the amp at barely audible volume (lower than normal bedroom volume) there was a slight distortion evident. I have read about this on the forum but it's certainly not evident at slightly louder volumes, so at this moment in time doesn't concern me.

Thanks all

Edited by Deedee

• 1 month later...

After this thread reminded me just how much I missed my old AH400SMX I've just bought an AH350SMX which I'll be picking up on the way to my gig next Saturday.
Obviously it's the same pre-amp but does anyone know if I should expect it to sound pretty much the same or is the different power section likely to change the tone at all?

I've had several 250's, a couple of 350's and a 600. All SMX's and all wonderful.

I personally didn't notice any discernible difference in tone between them, other than one of the 250's seemed to sound a bit darker than the others (which could've been down to some major repairs that had been carried out on it). In the end I settled on the AH250 models as they had the sound and all the features for my needs, without the bulk (other than the lovely UV of course).

The recent AH600-12 purchase was just to see what they were all about and as I've said earlier in the thread, I'm impressed.

Edited by Deedee

That's reassuring thanks :).

I sold my old AH400 as spares or repair about 10 years ago to our lead guitarist's little brother and he still has it after getting it fixed up.
He lent it to me for a gig a while back after my old Ampeg died and, as much as I love my current Aguilar head, I can't get the sound from that night out of my head.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1489871464' post='3260512']
I'm waiting for my new TE Elf to arrive (hopefully at the end of the month) - I'll be unloading a combo and/or a head as and when...
[/quote]

Snap - I think I'll be giving one a try, even if it's as a very portable back up. I think the combo may be moving on to make way.....................