Why become a member? ×

Customised head faceplate?

CameronJ

I'm in a bit of a strange situation. I love my amp & cab. They do everything I want/need and more. The trouble is visually I don't feel like they match up. Observe below:

A handsome looking head. A beautiful tweed cab. But together they look a bit like I've tried to build an amp rig out of lego! Ideally I'd have a more neutral coloured head so the cab can be the focal point.

Now I'm not exactly a master craftsman so I wonder if I'd be able to get someone to the refinish the faceplate in black/grey whilst retaining the lettering for the controls? Has anyone attempted a similar mod? Am I crazy for wanting to do this?

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1485211890' post='3222257']
I'm in a bit of a strange situation. I love my amp & cab. They do everything I want/need and more. The trouble is visually I don't feel like they match up. Observe below:

A handsome looking head. A beautiful tweed cab. But together they look a bit like I've tried to build an amp rig out of lego! Ideally I'd have a more neutral coloured head so the cab can be the focal point.

Now I'm not exactly a master craftsman so I wonder if I'd be able to get someone to the refinish the faceplate in black/grey whilst retaining the lettering for the controls? Has anyone attempted a similar mod? Am I crazy for wanting to do this?
[/quote]

Look at the Schaeffer AG website: [url="http://www.schaeffer-ag.de/en/."]http://www.schaeffer-ag.de/en/.[/url] I've used the American sister company (Front Panel Express) many times for my DIY projects very happily. They won't do a refinish but can easily fabricate a whole new front panel with a wide variety of cosmetic options. Their CAD software is pretty simple to use and at least over here the turnaround is very fast, rarely more than a week. Probably the most old school look would be powder coating for the panel and infilled engraving for the control labels.

Edited by Passinwind

[quote name='Passinwind' timestamp='1485242945' post='3222330']

Look at the Schaeffer AG website: [url="http://www.schaeffer-ag.de/en/."]http://www.schaeffer-ag.de/en/.[/url] I've used the American sister company (Front Panel Express) many times for my DIY projects very happily. They won't do a refinish but can easily fabricate a whole new front panel with a wide variety of cosmetic options. Their CAD software is pretty simple to use and at least over here the turnaround is very fast, rarely more than a week. Probably the most old school look would be powder coating for the panel and infilled engraving for the control labels.
[/quote]

This is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for, thanks! :D

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1485251377' post='3222400']
This is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for, thanks! :D
[/quote]

De nada. You can see some examples of panels I've had done on my website. By all means PM me if you have any questions on the process, or just post them here if you prefer.

I may just do that when the time comes. Looks like the front of your new version PW8B is semi-similar to my BH800, especially the knob protection bars. Actually the bars are the only real similarity really. Anyhow, I'll probably seek counsel from you when working out how to get the front off without destroying the amp completely. Though for now my main focus is getting a tort pickguard made for my incoming Yamaha BB!

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1485360408' post='3223386']
I may just do that when the time comes. Looks like the front of your new version PW8B is semi-similar to my BH800, especially the knob protection bars. Actually the bars are the only real similarity really. Anyhow, I'll probably seek counsel from you when working out how to get the front off without destroying the amp completely. Though for now my main focus is getting a tort pickguard made for my incoming Yamaha BB!
[/quote]

You might want to consider just doing an overlay panel. That would open up many other cosmetic options as well.

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1485380794' post='3223612']
i guess you mean a panel that sits on the existing one? Wouldn't that affect the knob/ switch clearance?
[/quote]

In many cases you can just use hole cutouts that are slightly bigger than the knobs, or at least the fixing nuts, if there are any. Lots of audio gear is done that way, but as always, it just depends on the specific case how feasible it is. There are outfits that make stick-on plastic overlays that are quite thin too.

[quote name='Passinwind' timestamp='1485411691' post='3223713']

In many cases you can just use hole cutouts that are slightly bigger than the knobs, or at least the fixing nuts, if there are any. Lots of audio gear is done that way, but as always, it just depends on the specific case how feasible it is. There are outfits that make stick-on plastic overlays that are quite thin too.
[/quote]
[quote name='rubis' timestamp='1485593781' post='3225108']
If you or someone else could get the front panel off, you could consider having it covered with hydrographics
[/quote]

Great suggestions folks, gives me lots to think about. Much appreciated.