Instruments You Struggle With

35 replies to this topic

#31 randythoades

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Interests:My Printing and graphic design company www.redeyeprint.co.uk
    Rockabilly / Blues / Country rock. Guitars and Bass of course!

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:50 AM

I have tried (to a limited degree) lots of instruments but can't seem to get over the bit between total novice and becoming more accomplished. I can do a basic drum beat but can't get it more than that; struggling a little with ukulele (can play all the chords but struggling to play any proper songs); saxophone, couldn't even get a proper note out; can't seem to get to grips with acoustic guitar at all, particularly fingerpicking or open chords; pretty good on the recorder and xylophone due to kids playing them at school; keyboard I can use the white keys only so have to transpose everything into C major; slide guitar I REALLY can't do and just don't understand.
Thomann European Slimline Upright bass
Kent Armstrong magnetic pickup
K+K Bassmax

1969 Aria Violin bass 1420b
1971 Aria Violin bass 1420b
1981 Aria Pro II TSB 350
Custom (home) build medium scale P-bass
Custom (home) build J-bass
Bassix EUB

Hartke HA3500
GK MB200
PJB D200
Ashdown VS112 cab + VS212 cab + VS115 cab
Trace Elliot Boxer 30 practice amp

Ohana Concert electro ukuele
Korala bass uke

More guitars and gadgets that I can list...or that my wife knows about.

www.junkshoptoys.net

Feedback

#32 Earbrass

May cause drowsiness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 10:39 AM

I've played piano since I was, well, not sure really but I started proper lessons when I was 6. Started guitar when I was 12, but have never come close to mastering it - still can't do barre chords! Ironically, I really wanted to play bass, but was talked into starting on guitar - got a bass in my late teens and found it suited me so much better. More recently I briefly tried and abandoned piano accordion (too unwieldy and heavy and never got fluent on the stradella bass) and moved onto D/G melodeon. Been playing that for about eight years, and have reached the point where I can belt out morris tunes ok, but I've never really gelled with it - I still can't improvise fluently on it, the fact that it's not chromatic frequently frustrates me and I've realized I'll never have the strength or control in the upper left arm muscles to be a really good player. My latest love is nyckelharpa, which I've been playing for 2 years now - love it!!!! Wish I'd discovered this fabulous instrument a few decades earlier.
ilmatyynyalukseni on täynnä ankeriaita

nyckelharpa - piano/keys - bass guitar - d/g melodeon
My soundcloud
My feedback

#33 charic

Horklown Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,122 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:55 AM

Drums!

The fretboard is your playground

No Fingering Or Slapping Allowed!

BC T&C's

Forum Behaviour Guidelines

#34 Barking Spiders

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Interests:Annoying staff in WH Smith by spending ages reading magazines, posting 1 star reviews on Trip Advisor and DIY chiropody

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:30 AM

I'm more than handy with drums & percussion and several types of fretted instrument but the mandolin's a bugger as my podgy digits make a mess of the fingering. Did try the flute for a bit but had issues with the breathing technique. Biggest disappointment is my singing voice which isn't even good enough for backing vocals. It's flatter than the Norfolk Broads. I'd swap what I can do on instruments any day for a cracking set of pipes. Wish i could sing like Mike Patton from Faith No More

#35 Angel

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Interests:Christian music and Fish fingers

Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:06 PM

Chapman stick. I gave it a really good go and could play stuff (video evidence!), but I couldn't get to where I wanted to be. Still have it, but barely touched it in about 9 years.

#36 pmjos

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 07:56 PM

Banjo.............bloody reverse rolls.....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users