Why become a member? ×

Downsizing Eden WTP rig thoughts

attackbass

I bought an Eden WTP 600 and the 410 XLT this time last year. It was a compromise between my then orange AD200 and matching flight case 8x10 and my little Aguilar db112 and EA micro. I thought it would fit my touring and function gigs - portable enough to get in the car but still loud enough to work on a large stage.

Fast forward a year and I've done a lot more local work than touring and after buying a house with steps up to the front door and a change of car from a discovery to a magane I'm starting to think I've made a poor decision!

I had a corperate residency over Christmas where I left my rig set up the whole time and I think the luxury had made me forget what s physical struggle getting my gear in the car then loading in/out at venues. I'm starting to think wtf am I doing to myself?!

Don't get me wrong my rig sounds incredible, though to appreciate the tone I usually have to stand a good few meters away - that cab seriously projects!

With the abundance it seems of lightweight gear available now I'm wondering if I just replace the cab with something else or go the whole way and change the head too.

The Aguilar sl and tone hammer stuff has caught my eye and I recently played through one and was to my surprise impressed with its tone. The Mesa stuff looks impressive too although very expensive.

The Eden is my dream rig that I've wanted since I was 16 listening to incubus and I feel pretty silly about selling it after just a year. I don't know if I changed the cab what would be a good fit with the WTP head. I think I'm also swaying away from the aggressive grindy rock tone to a more warm and thick tone!

I think common sense needs to prevail and realise I'm not getting younger haha!

If any of you guys can chip in any advice who have had the same 1st world problem i would love to hear from you! As far as I can see equipment is getting a lot more efficient and powerful and so the days of huge cabs may be gone!

I'd keep the head & switch cabs - there's no point getting rid of an amp you like because your cab is heavy & there's nothing to say the amp wouldn't suit a different cab. I'd have thought the amp would sound good with a decent 212 (or 2x 112).

Hey,

So the Aguilar db112 has since gone. I'm thinking of keeping the head and getting a lightweight cab. I just had a rehearsal this afternoon and ran it through an old mag 410 and it sounded great and I usually hate ash down cabs!

Thinking maybe ampeg or Aguilar would suit - some more vintage modern voiced than hi fi modern

If you liked the Ashdown Mag cab why not get one of those, they`re pretty nicely priced, or alternativley look at their Rootmaster cabs - a couple of 210s or 112s would be much more portable than a 410 (especially the Eden XLT). The RMs are apparently what took over from the MAG series.