Why become a member? ×

DI Virgin

Tripehound

I play in a 5 piece band (vocals - guitar - keyboard - bass - drums) where the drummer uses an electronic kit and we mostly tread the weary old pub circuit for fun. Typical of our ageing ilk we have fabulous guitars and amps but a not so great PA. Can never hear ourselves properly on stage, volumes are frequently all over the shop and feedback is a perennial problem. We don't have anyone responsible for sound. Not an uncommon situation I suspect. To top it off, the powered speakers weigh a ton and are awkward to carry.

We splashed out on a lovely RCF Evox system and the subs on it lead me to wonder about putting bass through directly rather than lugging a big valve amp and cab - even though it sounds fantastic. I already use IEMs.

I used to have a Line 6 Pod XT back in the day, wondered about getting another one, and I've been looking at a range of different DI units from Darkglass, Tech21, MXR, Hotone and Aguilar. Can anyone offer me any advice on how to negotiate a brand new minefield? I play both active and passive basses and the style is - well - eclectic I guess.... anything from Tears for Fears to Zep via Steely Dan!

First thing - they are all good, its really just fine tuning the features you want, and the style of sound. Secondly...don't stress too much, most preamp DI's sound great and you only really need a core sound.

I'd suggest getting a used Tone Hammer or Sansamp (there are a few) and having a go. Main thing is to remember that they are mainly replacing the front end/eq of your amp..so use them like that and see how it goes. Plug into the front (eq flatter than normal) or effects return of your amp to start...and later leave the amp at home, and see if you're happy. Generally, be gentle with the bass boost and amp emulation - its very easy to overdo it.

I thoroughly recommend the Sansamp, works a treat for me.
If your funds don't run to one, you could always dip your toe in the DI water with one of these - £24 well spent IMO,
even if it ends up as a 'spare'.

http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Behringer-BDI21-V-Tone-Bass-Preamp/6LV?origin=product-ads&utm_campaign=PLA+Shop+-+Behringer&utm_medium=vertical_search&network=google&adgroup=1+-+Product+Level+-+Behringer&merchant_id=1279443&product_id=8563d1&product_country=GB&product_partition_id=111959022559&gclid=CMG91LaU29ECFcMW0wodQfcCNg

There was a DI shootout at last year's Herts bash.

Thread with summary and video is here - http://basschat.co.uk/topic/284022-herts-bass-bash-2016-preampdi-pedal-shootout/page__pid__3066222#entry3066222

The Behringer was included, and my little Zoom performed admirably too.

MXR are good if you already like the tone of your bass, Sansamp is great, it`s what I use, but does colour the sound - a lot. Tonehammer also good, a very vintage vibe available from that. Without knowing exactly what you want a Zoom B3 is a great bit of kit as it as many of these on it, as well as amp-modelling and loads of effects.

I use the Tech 21 Sansamp VTDI to go amp free and in-ear. I'm using it as an amp/speaker emulator to get a clean but ampy tone and I really like it. However, as BassBod says, I suspect that most decent quality preamp/DI/emulator will do a decent job - even if they all have their own character.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Tripehound' timestamp='1485549355' post='3224931']
I dabble on guitar and wondered about the Line 6 HD500X which models a few bass rigs - I wonder if this is an alternative?
[/quote]

Would be fine sound wise I imagine, I would just caution though that some digital amp modellers add a slight processing delay to the sound and on bass I find this quite off putting (OTOH it doesnt bother me when playing guitar).

You'd be surprised how little bass you need to hear a bass guitar. There's not a whole lot going on below 50Hz for most of us, and if you're a Rickenbacker/plectrum kind of guy there probably isn't a great deal below 200Hz.

Having said that, I assume that if you're thinking about going the route you probably have decent foh subs? If so then you'll hear plenty of LF sound from those and then pick up the detail from the monitor. Unless your stage is HUGE then this normally works really well.

Edited by Jack

First thought of "DI virgin" was to stick the XLR somewhere you shouldn't.

If you want a cheaper option for a DI box, then the Behringer BDI21 is apparently pretty good for £25 (plastic case to keep costs down) & I'm surprised Lozz never mentioned it as he was the one who brought it to my attention a few years back.

Without knowing which Evox system you've got, and what levels you play at, I'd suggest it's worth checking that your PA has the headroom to cater for your bass with no cab backup. You could do this by simply plugging straight into the mixer and standing out front. Give it some full on gig level playing at a rehearsal and confirm that you're not running into limiters (too hard) and that the sound is not breaking up.

As long as that works out, then you could be good to go - and that's where you can start on your pre-amp quest...

[quote name='Tripehound' timestamp='1485549355' post='3224931']
Thanks for the replies folks. Sounds like any will do a decent job and Sansamp appears to be a bit of an industry standard.

I dabble on guitar and wondered about the Line 6 HD500X which models a few bass rigs - I wonder if this is an alternative?
[/quote]

On reading the first post, I thought about suggesting the HD500x. I bought one second hand last year, added the HD Bass pack, and never looked back, The amp sims are superb (good job, as there's only 4 or 5 bass specific sims), the effects sound great, and it's a good price (especially now that a lot of folk are selling up to upgrade to the Helix). It not only has standard output jack sockets, but XLR output sockets.

I upgraded from a PODxt Live, the sims were good, but I found the effects to be a bit disappointing. Had a Zoom B3 before that. The HD sounds far better than either of them.

[quote name='Tripehound' timestamp='1485629786' post='3225485']
Has anyone tried using the built-in amp emulator in the RCF M18 mixer? Might make me feel a bit naked with only an iPad between me and the audience rather than a nice reassuring big amp and cab....
[/quote]
Most of the time I'm clean di into the xair, bit of shaping but no fx added. I might actually try it now you mention it, what an amazing piece of kit they are!