Why become a member? ×

Crowd pleasers - the perfect set list from a punters point of view

T-Bay

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1485290004' post='3222875']
I've got a feeling I'm going to dislike most of the suggestions.
[/quote]
:lol: me too, that part of the reason for asking in a perverse way after saying on the other thread how much I hate mustang sally.

Timber, poker face, billie jean and any ska. All of that goes down well. Depending on the crowd, crazy horses.
Forget about me also - seems anything where the chorus is 'la la la la', or very repetitive / obvious (save tonight etc) is a bit of a winner.

And yes, mustang sally.

Round here it would be something like:

Summer of 69
Anything by Oasis
Do Summer of 69 again
Any Stereophonics hit
Oi Mate, d'yer know that 69 fingy song? Do that one.
Mr Brightside
Mate, mate, mate, whassaat duhhnn duhhnn sumfing sisstyniiiiiiiiiiiiine? Do that.
Mr Brightside again
Put that 69 one on. The Bryan Adams one. Yeah, that.

See that Galway Girl and Maggie May both get mentions - definitely something punters like about "that funny little banjo thingy". In my old band it was Copperhead Rd that always got the best reaction. Well, that and "the fanny song"... (The Weight).

The first few songs from the wedding/function band I've just joined. I would never ever listen to them normally (being an AC/DC and Rammstein lover) but the punters absolutely love them (and pay us well to play them too, so who am I to complain). PS. After seeing the Reel Big Fish version mentioned a while back on BC we now do their version of Brown Eyed Girl (probably the song I hate most in the world. Quite like it now :)

[b][i]Everybody needs somebody[/i][/b]
[b][i]Dancing On The Ceiling[/i][/b]
[b][i]Summer of 69[/i][/b]
[b][i]Hard Day’s Night[/i][/b]
[b][i]Proud Mary[/i][/b]
[b][i]La Bamba / Twist and Shout / Great Balls of Fire[/i][/b]
[b][i]Angels[/i][/b]
[b][i]Saturday Nights Alright for Fighting[/i][/b]
[b][i]Star Girl[/i][/b]
[b][i]Brown Eyed Girl[/i][/b]
[b][i]Get Lucky [/i][/b]
[b][i]Happy [/i][/b]
[b][i]Moves like Jagger [/i][/b]
[b][i]Forget you[/i][/b]

Edited by 6feet7

I have no problem with any songs listed so far. A cover band should be aiming to play songs that go down well with the audience, but it's always better to choose songs that are not played every week by every band. These always got positive reactions for us.

Happy
Tainted Love
Mary's Prayer
Walk This Way
I Can't Do That
Love The One You're With
Billie Jean
Abracadabra
The Joker

. . . and of course. . . but only if requested by more than one person. . .
Mustang Sally
Sweet Home Alabama
Brown Eyed Girl

In addition to a lot of songs already mentioned, in a former band we did, as did every single other pub and party band, Sex On Fire, I Predict a Riot and Use Somebody. Never failed to get people up. I hate them.

Current 'little' band - strangely 'Copperhead Road' never ever fails to get people stomping along.

depends entirely on what crowd are expecting, we are a punk (covers and originals) so none of the above, about the nearest we get is Ballroom Blitz, the Damned version. Stuff like Pretty Vacant and Ever Fallen in Love always go down well, basically Punk hits

I've not played to a crowd since 1987. I picked up the bass again four years ago. I haven't got my band off the ground yet so please feel free to criticise these.

I am about to test the water, so to speak, at a local open mic night. As a non singing (apart from backing noises) bassist, I hope someone will step up with me to supply guitar and vox and if I'm lucky, drums to some of these;

Rock the Kasbah
I Fought the Law
I Shot the Sheriff
Good Times
Le Freak
Dancing in the Moonlight
It's the Same Old Song
Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now
Heatwave
Queen Bitch
Superstition
I wish
All my Loving
Day Tripper
Lady Madonna
Michelle
The Letter
'39
Low Rider
Roxanne
Walking on the Moon

Thanks T-Bay for this topic. It's come at exactly the right time to help me refine my ideas.

There are others but they are more to expand my repertoire than for public consumption.