Why become a member? ×

bright clangy bass sound !?

zawinul

Hi peeps

Not sure which section to put this in

I'm looking for a very ' clangy' bass sound sort of chris squire but even more clangy, lots of treble, presence, not bothered about low end as such, this is more for recoring

Am I looking for a specific amp, is it the strings? Or a pre amp?

At moment I've got 2 active basses and a small practise amp and there's no ' clang'

I guess I need a decent bass amp but what do people suggest?

Yes I could get a ticket backer but would still need an amp too

Ang suggestions. .or is the clang down to using a pick , something I've never done!?

Cheers Z

If it is just for recording you have the ability to experiment with all sorts of amp and speaker sims including guitar amps and whatever double/multiple tracking works. I think the guys are right though about a lot of that sound coming from the bass and how it is played. I wouldn't be rushing out to buy any gear just yet.

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1485346467' post='3223259']
If it is just for recording you have the ability to experiment with all sorts of amp and speaker sims including guitar amps and whatever double/multiple tracking works. I think the guys are right though about a lot of that sound coming from the bass and how it is played. I wouldn't be rushing out to buy any gear just yet.
[/quote]

Cheers for this can you recommend any good software , cheap to get me started please?

I agree low action. Also of course taking out a touch bass and bringing up the mids and highs.
Or as bill said above some type of biamping.
Some guitar heads can be used for bass on there own too that naturally will give more that sound.

Edited by Twincam

[quote name='zawinul' timestamp='1485293980' post='3222927']
Hi peeps

Not sure which section to put this in

I'm looking for a very ' clangy' bass sound sort of chris squire but even more clangy, lots of treble, presence, not bothered about low end as such, this is more for recoring

Am I looking for a specific amp, is it the strings? Or a pre amp?

At moment I've got 2 active basses and a small practise amp and there's no ' clang'

I guess I need a decent bass amp but what do people suggest?

Yes I could get a ticket backer but would still need an amp too

Ang suggestions. .or is the clang down to using a pick , something I've never done!?

Cheers Z
[/quote]

Hi

What bass are you using? I would advise first looking at your string choice, stainless steel are usually brightest but depending on brand etc this may not always be the case, also some strings are just a poor match for some basses for example I have had Roto stainless steel strings sound great on one bass, bright and aggressive etc and dull on another bass.
The Joyo Dr J Sparrow is my magic bullet for my tone [url="http://www.joyoaudio.co.uk/dr-j-d-53-sparrow-bass-di-xlr-and-drive-effect-pedal"]http://www.joyoaudio.co.uk/dr-j-d-53-sparrow-bass-di-xlr-and-drive-effect-pedal[/url] and does a great job of adding some brightness, I keep the drive on mine fairly low as it does not sound good turned up high

[quote name='zawinul' timestamp='1485346852' post='3223263']
Cheers for this can you recommend any good software , cheap to get me started please?
[/quote]
If you're using a Mac, then Garageband or Logic. They both have great amp sims. If you have bridge & neck pick ups on your bass, select the bridge pickup for a more burpy tone.
Personally I don't get why you'd want a clangy bassless tone. Unless of course there's something else providing low end (like a low ringing kick).

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1485354841' post='3223334']
If you're using a Mac, then Garageband or Logic. They both have great amp sims. If you have bridge & neck pick ups on your bass, select the bridge pickup for a more burpy tone.
Personally I don't get why you'd want a clangy bassless tone. Unless of course there's something else providing low end (like a low ringing kick).
[/quote]

Cheers all this sounds good, i just like clang, and ringing trebly sound, can;t stand a low frequency thump.... i guess i'm more of a tenor/baritone player than a bass, don;t like 5 stringers either, gets too muddy for me... each to his own I guess!!

[quote name='zawinul' timestamp='1485819687' post='3227045']
Cheers all this sounds good, i just like clang, and ringing trebly sound, can;t stand a low frequency thump.... i guess i'm more of a tenor/baritone player than a bass, don;t like 5 stringers either, gets too muddy for me... each to his own I guess!!
[/quote]
Are you sure you're not a guitarist? :ph34r:

I used to have exactly this tone for years. It was almost a signature sound as all the bands I played with / shared stages with asked how I got the bright sound and cut over the guitars.

I don't really do it as often now, but I could just with the following:

- Bright settings on a clean/crisp amp. I used a Trace amp for those tones, and tended to have normal levels of bass and mids, but boosted lower treble and treble. Even some high mids can help.

- Usually a cab that was fairly aggressive, if I could use one. Normally, a cab with a HF horn dialled in a little.

- For me, new strings. I used Rotosounds back then. There are probably better strings available that do the same and stay bright. I was a student so I used to carefully boil my strings in washing up liquid after a few months, then re fit, and hey presto, they sounded basically new! There are even bright sounding flats...

- Either an aggressive plec technique or heavy finger technique. If you want the strings to clank on the fretboard, a bit like Iron Maiden or old Face to Face, and you play with fingers, then play over the area a P pickup would be or closer to the beck. Dig in!

- Lower action...the grind and clank on the fretboard adds to it.

I didn't used any pedals or distortion to get that tone. For years I didn't bother with pedals. Pedals will work wonders though, e.g. the Tech 21 Sansamp BDDI or VT Bass.

Edited by Musicman20

Seriously I know I have mentioned it already but the Joyo Dr J Sparrow will give you more brightness than you could possibly ever need, there is a treble eq that seems to have a lot of boost and then there is a harmonics dial which is basically a 2nd treble control that is voiced very slightly differently to the treble eq , just be sure to not dial up the gain too high and this pedal sounds awesome for that type of tone

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1485856682' post='3227165']
I used to have exactly this tone for years. It was almost a signature sound as all the bands I played with / shared stages with asked how I got the bright sound and cut over the guitars.

I don't really do it as often now, but I could just with the following:

- Bright settings on a clean/crisp amp. I used a Trace amp for those tones, and tended to have normal levels of bass and mids, but boosted lower treble and treble. Even some high mids can help.

- Usually a cab that was fairly aggressive, if I could use one. Normally, a cab with a HF horn dialled in a little.

- For me, new strings. I used Rotosounds back then. There are probably better strings available that do the same and stay bright. I was a student so I used to carefully boil my strings in washing up liquid after a few months, then re fit, and hey presto, they sounded basically new! There are even bright sounding flats...

- Either an aggressive plec technique or heavy finger technique. If you want the strings to clank on the fretboard, a bit like Iron Maiden or old Face to Face, and you play with fingers, then play over the area a P pickup would be or closer to the beck. Dig in!

- Lower action...the grind and clank on the fretboard adds to it.

I didn't used any pedals or distortion to get that tone. For years I didn't bother with pedals. Pedals will work wonders though, e.g. the Tech 21 Sansamp BDDI or VT Bass.
[/quote]

Cheers for the long and detailed answer! ! I haven't got a decent bass amp probably need to invest in one even if I'm not going to gig with it! And a VT Bass as this seems to be some thing a lot of people recommend...

Never used a pick but will give it a go...

I wonder if there are better strings than rotosound they can sound 'raggy'...

Time to experiment methinks

They are both pretty bright but you'd probably want the steel ones. I've no idea what the difference is between the standard steels and the Marcus version though! They are very low tension however, I put a set on the same as my usual gauge and found I needed to change the setup quite a bit.