Why become a member? ×

Re-wire a Coil-Split switch to be a Bass Cut

Greggo

Technically a query about a guitar, but I'm wondering if anyone can help. I've just aquired a Hagstrom Ulstra Swede guitar which is HH with 1 vol, 1 tone and a coil split switch.

The split coil sound isn't that great but a mod I would love to do is to rewire this switch if possible so it is a passive bass cut instead, in a similiar vane to the "dry-switch" that is found on Yamaha Revstar.

Ive not been able to find a clear wiring diagram on how to do this online, I was wondering if anyone might know how to and what capacitors etc I would need?

Thanks

Greg

EDIT: - AS soon as I posted I think I may have found the answer to my problem - using the bass cut wiring to replace the current coil split wiring

Edited by Greggo

I don't have a diagram to hand, but what you want to do is put the cap in series with the signal wire, using one side of the switch to short across the capacitor. If you look up the circuit for the G&L PTB tone controls but substitute one side of your switch for the bass pot, that will get you there. I've had good results using a 2.2n capacitor for a variable bass cut (about 1/10 the value you would use for a standard tone control) , so somewhere in that range would be a good place to start.

The treble cut switch in the top diagram needs a diagonal wire from the top left pole to the bottom right pole to give 2 different flavours of treble cut.
Likewise, in the bass cut switch, the link at the top should be from top left to bottom right to do the same thing for bass cut.
I think I've got this right! Feel free to correct me!