Why become a member? ×

Acrylic bodied bass

BrunoBass

I recently saw an acrylic bodied bass on eBay which caught my eye, mainly for an upcoming photoshoot we've got planned. It got me wondering how it might sound though... I'm no expert but I'd expect solid acrylic to be dense (and heavy) and I'd imagine it to sound bright. Anyone got experience of such weirdness?

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1485356138' post='3223347']
Been some threads on these if you do a search. Heavy is an understatement, seem to remember Andy Travis may have had one, you could PM him?
[/quote]

I though there might have been, I searched for 'acrylic' but nothing relevant came up 😊

My old band used to quite regularly gig with a band whose guitarist had an acrylic/perspex BC Rich Mockingbird - it was heavier than any bass or guitar I've ever picked up but did sound decent enough, I'd even say it sounded exactly the same as his wooden one - though this was a metal band so a lot of the guitar tone was hidden behind distortion.

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1485360150' post='3223382']
My old band used to quite regularly gig with a band whose guitarist had an acrylic/perspex BC Rich Mockingbird - it was heavier than any bass or guitar I've ever picked up but did sound decent enough, I'd even say it sounded exactly the same as his wooden one - though this was a metal band so a lot of the guitar tone was hidden behind distortion.
[/quote]
Maybe he should've had a metal bodied one then?

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1485374761' post='3223514']
I had a p-bass

(Axl player series)

Changed everything out on it and had a fender neck on it.

Was about 14/15lbs.
[/quote]

I had one of those too. Kept it stock and it sounded brilliant. Really bright, really aggressive and looked amazing. Only downside was that mine weighed 9kgs.

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1485377655' post='3223563']

I had one of those too. Kept it stock and it sounded brilliant. Really bright, really aggressive and looked amazing. Only downside was that mine weighed 9kgs.
[/quote]

And people complain these days about a 4kg jazz '-)

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1485374761' post='3223514']
I had a p-bass

(Axl player series)

Changed everything out on it and had a fender neck on it.

Was about 14/15lbs.
[/quote]

This is mine, also used to be an Axl:

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:57742] [sharedmedia=core:attachments:57744] [sharedmedia=core:attachments:57743] [sharedmedia=core:attachments:57745]

Looks awesome but weighs 13lbs meaning I've never gigged it. Also sadly the neck is junk, despite looking nice. Would make a great wallhanger but I wouldn't trust a guitar hanger - or my walls - to support it.

I had a Wesley 4-string as my first fretless bass. The acrylic body is more dense than most wooden bodies basses, but this one had a relatively small body so the overall weight was very similar. Was quite bright sounding, but nothing that couldn't be tamed by rolling the tone control off a little bit. IMO was vastly superior in sound, playability and looks to the Squier VMJ that I bought supposedly to replace it.

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1485434161' post='3223925']
I quite like this one :-) [url="https://de.aliexpress.com/item/2017-new-arrival-4-strings-electric-guitar-bass-guitar-acrylic-guitar-bass-free-shipping-headless-guitar/32780041716.html"]https://de.aliexpres...2780041716.html[/url]
[/quote]

That seems very expensive. My Wesley acrylic bass cost £60 second hand.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1485434751' post='3223930']
That seems very expensive. My Wesley acrylic bass cost £60 second hand.
[/quote]
Mental inflation! When these first appeared on Chinese sites a few years ago they were about £70. Serioulsy considered buying 10 and selling them on at £150 a pop.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1485387407' post='3223688']

This is mine, also used to be an Axl:

Looks awesome but weighs 13lbs meaning I've never gigged it. Also sadly the neck is junk, despite looking nice. Would make a great wallhanger but I wouldn't trust a guitar hanger - or my walls - to support it.
[/quote]

Ah. Makes me want one again.