Why become a member? ×

Adieu! Adios! Auf Wiedersehen! Bye y'all!

Jazzneck

Just posting to say that I have finally given up bass playing.

My body and brain has finally beaten my heart as I now find it a real struggle to stand and play properly with a bass strapped over my shoulder for more than 10 minutes at a time.
Also the thought of dragging gear about and playing gigs, which usually take 6 hours out of what's left of my life, is also a factor in this decision as it's no fun anymore.

I may continue to sit and jam with close friends, if they'll let me.

On a more positive note:

I have taken up finger picking and slide guitar, something that has always fascinated me.
Those old parlours and lap steels are light, short scale, small and sound damn' good.

My bass gear will be kept in cotton wool and will pass to my children and grand children when the time is right.

So it's over to you youngsters - please remember that bass is a rhythm instrument which should only have 4 (FOUR) strings and should be played accordingly on the bottom 9 (NINE) frets only
Don't hide in your bedrooms playing with yourselves.
Join a band and get out there and play gigs, lay down the groove with the drummer, entertain people and have some fun.

Best wishes to the lot of you!

Jazzneck.

Edited by Jazzneck

No need to depart this parish. Pass on your experience to the next generation, become an armchair bass player :) I fully understand where you are coming from, my guitar playing days are diminishing - aging hands, however the bass playing is still good. The time spent before and after a gig is a serious negative these days.

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1485373311' post='3223503']
So it's over to you youngsters - please remember that bass is a rhythm instrument which should only have 4 (FOUR) strings and should be played accordingly on the bottom 9 (NINE) frets only
Don't hide in your bedrooms playing with yourselves.
Join a band and get out there and play gigs, lay down the groove with the drummer, entertain people and have some fun.

Jazzneck.
[/quote]

Cheers! I hope you are going to stick around on the forum. Even if you don't I wish you all the best. Good idea that - slide guitar.

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1485376112' post='3223543']
That is no reason not to visit and post on Basschat. You are a bassist at heart, always will be.
[/quote]
This. You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave :lol:

There's a place for people like you!

[size=7][b][font=courier new,courier,monospace][url="http://basschat.co.uk/forum/96-guitarchat-led-by-kiwi/"][color=#b22222]Doom[/color][/url][/font][/b][/size]

I go there occasionally too. :)

(It's a link)

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1485373311' post='3223503']
Just posting to say that I have finally given up bass playing.

Jazzneck.
[/quote]

Nine frets??? No wonder you're giving up, you've worn yourself out with all those acrobatics :o :lol:

Good luck with the fingerpicking and the health in general Jazzneck, and hey, stick around - there's always the Guitarchat bit at the bottom, could do with some more input!

All the best,
Mike

Thank you, all of you!

I will stick around and I'll take Mykes advice and maybe post in the Guitarchat bit at the bottom.

Bilbo and Mick, thanks for the very kind invites - you may regret them when you find a fat, slide playing busker on your steps outside Jazz East and the Herts Bass Bash. ;)

Be safe, peoples!

As others have said - sorry to hear you are giving up bass playing, and there is no need to quit this forum

However, I feel there are other options for you to continue playing bass. If it's the standing & having a heavy bass guitar on a strap that are a big issue, you could try a really small, micro bass - like a Tanglewood Elfin or Samick Corsair type bass (The Corsair is now marketed as some other brand). Or may be try a Kala U-bass. These are tiny and very lightweight - just a thought...

I realise that there's still the business of lugging heavy amp equipment around - but are there any music clubs, jam nights or open mic nights anywhere near you? - I'm just thinking of events where they would already have a bass amp set up... After all, if you're playing other instruments like slide guitar, you'll still need amplification....

Anyhow, it's obviously your call, I just want to suggest that there may be other options. It's always a shame to hear someone who has a lot of experience, and has had a lot of enjoyment from playing, is going to give up.

Good luck with your jam sessions, and with learning those other instruments :)

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1485438585' post='3223969']
IIRC, you tried my U-Bass at the Herts. Bassbash last year?

And you just plug it through the PA ...

:)
[/quote]

You're correct, young man, and I went and bought one.

It is tremendous fun and easily playable, doesn't hurt my shoulder but I still can't stand for too long which is the major part of the problem.

To quote the professionals "....your back is mashed and it is going to get worse. Do not try any exercise and relearn how to do things. Do not be proud to ask for help when you need it".
Sounds bl88dy awful but sympathy is not what is wanted or needed.
I've had a load of fun being an average gigging bass player of the old school and have some great memories.
I'm alive, mobile, self sufficient, and my hands and fingers are fully operational.
All is positive and good with me.
So it's onwards - playing good old fashioned, airse on the chair, up tempo country blues with a hint of The Big Easy for me now.
You never know, I might get a gig up t'pub with a bit more practice. :o

First and foremost, best of luck to you for the future. You sound so positive through it, nice one ;)

My situation has similarities, and on the days I'm unable to play bass I can most often use the parlour guitar pictured below, it's been a revelation and I love it. I keep it on the wall above my comfy chair, in easy reach and always there :)

[URL=http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/chiliwailer/media/IMG_2112_zpsgjbr62lb.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah227/chiliwailer/IMG_2112_zpsgjbr62lb.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

• 4 months later...

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1485501117' post='3224363']
First and foremost, best of luck to you for the future. You sound so positive through it, nice one ;)

My situation has similarities, and on the days I'm unable to play bass I can most often use the parlour guitar pictured below, it's been a revelation and I love it. I keep it on the wall above my comfy chair, in easy reach and always there :)
[/quote]

I took your advice - thank you - and I'm now banging out country blues with a slide on this : :D

[attachment=247478:s-l1600 (1).jpg]