Why become a member? ×

Getting an even attack when playing finger style.

jazzyvee

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]What is the best way to get an even attack and tone from playing rapid consecutive notes.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]I only play with my fingers and for most things my right hand technique uses the side of my fingertips of my index and middle fingers similar to Stanley Clarke rather than the tips which I see most bass players doing. This means effectively I have my fingers brushing the strings rather than plucking in towards the bass. I find this gives me a warmer tone and for faster passages there is an even tone between notes. However some tracks I play require a more pronounced attack such as Sweet Tooth by Victor Bailey and What is hip? But to get the right tone for that I have to play with the tips of my fingers having my palm facing the bass which means my fingers are basically 90 degrees to the strings and because my index and middle fingers are different lengths I find that I have problems with getting an even note tone between alternating fingers. Any advice to offer for getting this technique better. [/size][/font][/color]
[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]Cheers[/size][/font][/color]

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1485414440' post='3223720']
[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]What is the best way to get an even attack and tone from playing rapid consecutive notes.[/font][/color]

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I only play with my fingers and for most things my right hand technique uses the side of my fingertips of my index and middle fingers similar to Stanley Clarke rather than the tips which I see most bass players doing. This means effectively I have my fingers brushing the strings rather than plucking in towards the bass. I find this gives me a warmer tone and for faster passages there is an even tone between notes. However some tracks I play require a more pronounced attack such as Sweet Tooth by Victor Bailey and What is hip? But to get the right tone for that I have to play with the tips of my fingers having my palm facing the bass which means my fingers are basically 90 degrees to the strings and because my index and middle fingers are different lengths I find that I have problems with getting an even note tone between alternating fingers. Any advice to offer for getting this technique better. [/font][/color]
[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Cheers[/font][/color]
[/quote]

My advice would be to start playing VERY SLOWLY and with a metronome/drum machine/app (even though you can probably play fast already). At this very slow speed you can listen to the difference in timbre between the two fingers as they alternate. Make micro adjustments until the tone and volume is as equal as you can get it. Because you're working so slowly at this point (40 bpm say/4 in a bar) you'll have bags of time to really think about, and look at what's happening.

Once you feel you're 'there' increase tempo by say 10-15 bpm (keep it fairly random). Then do the same at this new speed. Repeat until you max out. Do this every day for a week and I guarantee you'll see positive results! :-)

Hope that helps...
Scott.

Edited by All thumbs

[quote name='All thumbs' timestamp='1501072328' post='3342248']

My advice would be to start playing VERY SLOWLY and with a metronome/drum machine/app (even though you can probably play fast already). At this very slow speed you can listen to the different in timbre between the two fingers as they alternate. Make micro adjustments until the tone and volume is as equal as you can get it. Because you're working so slowly at this point (40 bpm say/4 in a bar) you'll have bags of time to really think about, and look at what's happening.

Once you feel you're 'there' increase tempo by say 10-15 bpm (keep it fairly random). Then do the same at this new speed. Repeat until you max out. Do this every day for a week and I guarantee you'll see positive results! :-)

Hope that helps...
Scott.
[/quote]

This /\

At slow speed your brain has time to learn and develop muscle-memory. If you play fast you will always know it's not working but it won't stick. (Or so I heard, from people more knowledgeable than me.)