Why become a member? ×

Gallien Krueger Fusion 550

Damonjames

Hey everyone, I am somewhat obsessed with this amp. When I bought my rb1001, I was just short of buying a fusion 550, and have regretted it ever since.
Despite my best efforts, I have been unable to do a deal on one and just wondered if any fellow basschatters were currently using one of these amps and what their experience has been, and whether there is one in the NW that someone may be kind enough to let me come and try? They NEVER turn up in shops!!

Damo, might be worth asking here, me owld apfel strudel. Somebody may have one they can bring.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/295480-north-west-bass-bash-12th-feb-2017/page__pid__3223237__st__60#entry3223237

Just down the 56 for you (distract the wife and kinds with Chester Oaks)

I'm in the same situation as you Damon. I heard one at the North East bass bash last year and it sounded very promising. Unfortunately, finding one to try out is now proving to be a challenge... and the new price has rocketed in the last 6 month. I should have coughed up last year when I found a new one for just over 700... typical.

I love mine. Started with a 700RB115 combo, went lightweight with a MB Fusion, and picked up the Fusion 550 about 14 months ago. Great amp, much more authority than the MB. I can't imagine ever wanting to change it - occasionally I wonder what a valve power section might bring, but really this has everything I need. In Harrogate if ever you're over this way and want to try it.

[url="https://flic.kr/p/HPGKBx"][/url]

Edited by Kirky

• 6 months later...

Hey guys, I though I had started a NAD thread but something must have gone wrong lol!

So about 3 months ago, I managed to finally do a deal and secure my very GK Fusion 550, and it is bloody amazing.

It has all the grunt that I loved about my rb1001, but it's just had a slightly more mellow edge, something that I had been searching for.

I had had GAS for years for one of these, now it seems I have no regrets and am just so comfortable with the sound. I saw a GK promotional video with some pro who said that GK just works, and you don't need to worry about your amp
Any more, and that's how I feel about it. I am so happy with my amp/cab sound, I love the sound and feel of my stingray 5. I just feel at ease with my setup, I guess now I should concentrate on my playing!!! 😂

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Treb' timestamp='1503056929' post='3355354']
[attachment=251649:IMG_0435.JPG]

Two 4x8"s and the Fusion 550. Boatloads of punch (and fun!) Can't get the image to upload upright but you get the idea.
[/quote]

I like your style pal!!! There don't seem to be too many of these amps around, so it's nice to know there are a few of us enlightened to the total brilliance of this amp.

2 x 410's, that must be bloody loud!!!!! My 212 is loud enough to keep up with two guitarists lol

• 10 months later...

Ive had my 550 for about 5 years and thought these amps were bullet proof.  Last week the transformer died on me, did nothing different, just regular 2 gigs a months at lowish volume, always allow to cool down, kept in rack case, not knocked about and stored in good ambient temps.  The result is a £220 repair bill and 10 week wait for parts from the States.  Gutted aint the word.  Having to use my back breaking Trace gear as stop gap and the the sound difference is soul breaking...

Rich

Ouch that's bad news, especially the 10 week wait.  I've played 3 gigs with mine this weekend and it was running unusually hot yesterday.  Will treat it with kid gloves for a while.  Its a real shame about the wait, and a pity that Polar Audio (are they still the distributers?) don't hold more parts in stock.

5 hours ago, gt4ever said:

Ive had my 550 for about 5 years and thought these amps were bullet proof.  Last week the transformer died on me, did nothing different, just regular 2 gigs a months at lowish volume, always allow to cool down, kept in rack case, not knocked about and stored in good ambient temps.  The result is a £220 repair bill and 10 week wait for parts from the States.  Gutted aint the word.  Having to use my back breaking Trace gear as stop gap and the the sound difference is soul breaking...

Rich

A ten week wait for a spare is ridiculous when it's a current production item.

Are you speaking to GK directly, or going through a dealer?

On ‎26‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 08:42, Damonjames said:

Hey everyone, I am somewhat obsessed with this amp. When I bought my rb1001, I was just short of buying a fusion 550, and have regretted it ever since.
Despite my best efforts, I have been unable to do a deal on one and just wondered if any fellow basschatters were currently using one of these amps and what their experience has been, and whether there is one in the NW that someone may be kind enough to let me come and try? They NEVER turn up in shops!!

EDIT - Oops - note to self, read the original post properly! Sorry, tried an MB Fusion 500, not the Fusion 550. Doh!

Edited by 4000

On 08/07/2018 at 17:38, Graham said:

A ten week wait for a spare is ridiculous when it's a current production item.

Are you speaking to GK directly, or going through a dealer?

Polar audio are difficult. I was told similar when I tried to order a replacement tweeter for my neo cab. I have a family friend in California, so I just ordered direct from GK and shipped it there, and then got them to forward it on. it is my only gripe with GK. Their stuff is notoriously reliable, but when it goes wrong, dealing with polar is a massive let down. It’s like they don’t carry any stock of critical spares. 

Yeah it's through my technician.  It's a nightmare, I 've tried direct myself but just get put onto Polar.  It is really gutting and if anything goes wrong with my GK stuff in the future I'll be moving to another brand for sure.  10 weeks is no joke.

• 2 weeks later...

As a follow up to this, I did get the standard reply from GK, who then passed it onto POLAR.  Its 10-12 weeks for the part OR I can have it express couriered for £120 + VAT.  What a p1ss take, I am so cross with the situation.  So I have to do all my gigs and functions with my back up rig for 3 plus months.  Not happy. 

Edited by gt4ever

Really sorry to hear this mate. I won’t even bore you with my other experience with polar, they are just downright dreadful and are ruining a great company’s reputation. GK needs to find someone else to carry stock of spares, surely it can’t be THAT hard!!