Why become a member? ×

Rotosound Nexus (big thumbs up)

40hz

I found a set of these on the cheap and took the plunge, normally I absolutely hate Rotosound with a passion, quite possibly the worst strings I've ever used. Terrible longevity, coarse, sandpaper-like feel and they eat your frets, so I wasn't expecting much from these.

The feel is actually not too bad for Roto's, they don't set your fingers ablaze and are not too tacky like many coated strings and much nicer than the coated DR's and GHS I've previously used. Most surprisingly however is just how much they suit the SUB tonally. I've never had a set of strings that complements a bass so well. Really warm and defined yet a nice bite and pop treble wise. They kind of make the SUB sound like a classic ray (even more so), very good to copping the Louis Johnson vibe.

They've also held up to 3 weeks of abuse and still sound and feel new with no flaking or chipping.

Colour me very impressed!

Edited by 40hz

First tried them a few year back,wanted a black coated string like Black Beauties but the shop didn't stock them. Owner suggested Nexus instead

"That's them on my Wal over there,away an plug it in. See how they feel."

A very cool way to try out Nexus and a very cool shop, Ayr Guitars in funnily enough Ayr :)

I've used them on plenty of basses since,there was a dodgy batch a few years ago when the packaging company changed the paper envelopes
but that's long sorted.One thing I've noticed is the bright zingy tone can be a bit much with high output pickups like Enwistle Neos,you can tame
it using active EQ but on my passive zodiac DE it was a no-no.