Why become a member? ×

Paul Rodgers Free Spirit Tour

steantval

I loved Free, and quite liked Bad Co. Have seen Paul Rodgers three times doing Free and Bad Co songs since 2003 and something about the gigs was not quite right.
I enjoyed them, as Rodgers is incapable of hitting a bum note and he had some good musicians with him but something was lacking. For me the musicians were too mechanical. Free, and to some extent Bad Co, were not afraid to leave space in the music, and for me that is what made the music special. The gigs I have seen with Rodgers new bands they have been trying to fill in the spaces and it spoils the feel for me. I will still probably go if I can get tickets cos Free were one of bands that played the soundtrack to my youth.

"It was so inspirational playing Free material with Deborah Bonham’s band, led by guitarist Pete Bullick, when we played charity gigs to support Willows Animal Sanctuary and Assisted Therapy Unit, which my wife Cynthia and I plus Deborah Bonham and Pete Bullick are Patrons of, that I promised myself that someday we would tour the UK with this band. Well…that someday has come. Pete will be on guitar, Ian Rowley on bass, Rich Newman on drums and Gerard Louis “G” on keyboards. Special guest will be Deborah Bonham featured with a keyboardist."
http://www.planetrock.com/news/rock-news/paul-rodgers-to-perform-free-songs-only-on-may-2017-tour/

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1485519278' post='3224544']
I loved Free, and quite liked Bad Co. Have seen Paul Rodgers three times doing Free and Bad Co songs since 2003 and something about the gigs was not quite right.
I enjoyed them, as Rodgers is incapable of hitting a bum note and he had some good musicians with him but something was lacking. For me the musicians were too mechanical. Free, and to some extent Bad Co, were not afraid to leave space in the music, and for me that is what made the music special. The gigs I have seen with Rodgers new bands they have been trying to fill in the spaces and it spoils the feel for me. I will still probably go if I can get tickets cos Free were one of bands that played the soundtrack to my youth.
[/quote]
I know what you mean. When I saw him in 2005ish it was very much a "Classic Rock" production, with the rawness of Free not much in evidence.

I was watching this collection of live clips yesterday. Free really were fantastic. They were a band who I knew of growing up as a kid, but it was my friend Paul Turner who really turned me on to them (he's a HUGE fan).

[URL=http://s7.photobucket.com/user/kevin_lindsay/media/FB_IMG_1485556148338.jpg.html][IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y289/kevin_lindsay/FB_IMG_1485556148338.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='Mickeyboro' timestamp='1485596075' post='3225128']
I don't think they understood the magic they created. Truly more than the sum of the parts...
[/quote]
Spot on there mate - each one a giant in his own right and, as already mentioned, the best band I've ever seen for knowing when not to play. Tempted to get tickets but I'm a bit worried that I might enjoy them less than a top 'Free' tribute band. Saw one about 15 years back - called Freeway I think - and they were blindingly good. Seeing/hearing Paul Rogers in the flesh might just be enough to tip the balance.

I have seen Paul Rodgers on a couple of occasions with excellent guitarists, Geoff Whitehorn (Back Street Crawler & Procol Harum) first, secondly Howard Leese (Heart), not quite Kossoff but very close.
Saw Howard Leese with him again on the recent Bad Company tour.
I'm surprised Simon Kirke is not doing the drumming duties on this tour, maybe he needs a rest after the Bad Company one, these guys aren't getting any younger.