Why become a member? ×

Sandberg TM Supreme

stega

Hi all,

I have been offered a Sandberg TM4 Supreme in a trade. I've always fancied a Sandberg, but one of the VMs - I'm more of a P man than a J - so not sure whether to go for it or not.

Anyone here have any idea of the approximate resell value if I don't get on with it?

It looks quite pretty:

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1485503768' post='3224376']
Is that the Cali II version? I have a passive TT and have just ordered a VS in a custom colour. I think they're great basses, phenomenal necks imho.
[/quote]

California 1 by the looks - i think the 2 has a slightly different body shape. And yeah, i keep hearing great things about them. Still, have decided to say no for now. Like i said, if it had been a VM i'd have been all over it.

Thanks for all the feedback people!

Edited by stega

I recently tried both the TM & VM versions in Guitar Guitar and didn't think there was much difference between them.
Both were well made altho i'm not a fan of relic bass finishing but both sounded exceptionally full and a more modern sound than traditional Jazz or Precision.
It was just a quick trial with them and perhaps i was using both Pick-ups to get the sound i liked but honestly don't think you'll be disappointed with it.

Dave

Resale will be fine if you buy 2nd hand. You'd take a big hit from buying new though. I had a Sandberg California VM5 Supreme, which was a cool bass. Not the most refined and a bit hefty. It was a great looker. Versatile and a range of useable tones too.

[quote name='deezbar' timestamp='1485816763' post='3227011']
The TM supreme is the higher spec.About £400 at least of upgrades compared to a regular Cali TM.
[/quote]

Any idea what the upgrades are? The Sandberg website is not very forthcoming about the differences.

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1485849150' post='3227091']
I'd like to know too, I thought it was just the blocks and matched headstock that were different?
[/quote]
The upgrades are mainly cosmetic.

[quote name='stega' timestamp='1485459362' post='3224163']
I have been offered a Sandberg TM4 Supreme in a trade. I've always fancied a Sandberg, but one of the VMs - I'm more of a P man than a J - so not sure whether to go for it or not.
[/quote]

I had a white one for a while. It was a very nice well made guitar but despite the MM style pup it is very much a jazz. If you like P basses you are best to stay away IMHO.
It didn't work for me.

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1485850090' post='3227102']
I had a white one for a while. It was a very nice well made guitar but despite the MM style pup it is very much a jazz. If you like P basses you are best to stay away IMHO.
It didn't work for me.
[/quote]

This was what I was worried about to be honest - this and the resale value not being great lead me to decline the trade offer.

Ta everyone for the advice :)