Why become a member? ×

Digitech Bad Monkey as a recording DI box

JapanAxe

Having adopted Reaper as my recording vehicle, I have inevitably discovered plug-ins. So far I have tried free models such as those in Pod Farm and NI Guitar 5 Player, and I am in the process of offloading my hardware amp modelling kit. However, I didn't want to limit myself to 'in-the-box' solutions, so I have been trying a few other things. Obviously I can mic up a valve amp, and/or connect a speaker-simulator DI box to the speaker output, but even a 5W amp quickly becomes too loud for late evening recording.

So I started trying drive pedals into a speaker simulator DI box, and then I remembered the Bad Monkey. Like the other Digitech pedals in that range (Hot Head, Screamin' Blues, Metal Master), the Bad Monkey has a speaker-simulated second output, marked 'MIXER'. I found that if I kept the drive low and the treble high, I could get a very usable almost-clean amp sound out of it, direct to recording interface. The output impedance is a very low 100ohm, so it will even work without engaging the Hi-Z switch on the interface.

Anyone else using old-school analog amp sims - Sessionmaster? Sansamp? Tom Scholz Rockman?!

[quote name='Rubbersoul' timestamp='1485530845' post='3224706']
If you're using the monkey do you plug into the instrument or line level input?
[/quote]

The inputs on my interface are combined XLR/jack sockets so I just take a short jack lead from the "MIXER' output of the Bad Monkey and set the input gain of the interface to suit.