Why become a member? ×

E String Sounds Different to Rest

thegummy

I have a set of Rotosound flatwounds where the E string sounds completely different to the other strings. It has a metallic twang whereas the other 3 have a uniform tone to them.

Is this something that happens with flatwounds?

I've never experienced this with many packets of guitar strings or with the 4 or 5 packets of roundwound bass strings I've tried but this is the only flats I've ever tried.

I'm tempted to try another brand (D'Addario) of flats as I otherwise do like them but is there something about the way flats are made that make the E string sound so much different?

It shouldn't do - but make sure the string isn't twisted or kinked in any way. Bear in mind it's likely you'll need to check/adjust the relief as most flatwounds have a higher tension than the same gauge roundwound. If you're noticing this twang when you play the E higher up the neck then it could be fret buzz which I'd expect if you now have more relief than factory spec (but that would normally affect all strings to a similar extent). Also check that you have a good witness point over the saddle though I wouldn't expect this to cause such a difference in tone (more likely to affect intonation).

Thanks for the reply Howie.

It's defo not fret buzz, it's just a more metallic tone. I've had it on and off 2 different basses several times now, always has that metallic twang. It's hard to describe. If only flatwound bass strings weren't so expensive I'd just buy a different set to try it. Probably will just do that anyway.

I've had issues with Pyramids twisting and going dead (they sent me new ones), and a dead Optima Gold roundwound B (still not resolved that one). Different people will prefer different ones but I've generally found happiness with Fender 9050Ls (surprisingly affordable). Those or Chromes (which are pricier).

It's worth checking whether the string sits in the bridge saddle correctly and also whether the bridge is correctly attached to the guitar body.

I had both of those problems with a Badass (in the case of its fit, it was just sitting on top of the grounding wire and so not perfectly flush with the body).

Switching from strings which have a narrower/tapered core over the bridge to uniform width ones like Rotosounds could cause the bridge saddle issue.

could be a loose wrap, I have had this and returned them to Rotosound, they will deny problems exist as all manufacturers will, but probably replace it FOC.
If you don't wish to do this - could try twisting the string from the headstock end in the direction of the wrap with the ball end in the bridge and refit silk end to tuner. I know this is what you try and avoid doing when putting on new strings but it may prove a point. I have done this just one full rotation seems to do the trick.

I`ve always found that the E has a slightly different sound to the rest, irrespective of gauge or brand. Less "ringy" and more thuddy, which could be expected due to the size, but the other 3 always sound like part of the same family.

I didn't really hear anything as you described, But look into what Howie suggested, but also is the bridge saddle screws making good contact with the base plate, some saddles i feel are too close together and if one screw is up and one down the saddle wants to twist and the saddle either side prevents this and the result is poor contact on one screw only. This alters the tone. just go over all the little Allen keys with a light touch to check if they are all taking the same strain.
Good luck.

Yeah, not hearing a difference - and prior to listening I'd been playing my own P-bass for about an hour and wondering whether I've got everything setup right - and it sounds just like yours :D

I think that sometimes what we hear, particularly when playing at home on our own through a small amp, is a combination of what's coming out of the amp, the acoustic sound of the bass and the feel of the vibrations as you play - and the sum is (obviously) more than what you get if you're just recording the output of the bass into a soundcard or something. I think even sitting down to play can make a difference as the bass can be higher than when on a strap and that makes the normal creaks and sympathetic vibratins of the bass more prominent...

Anyway, just an observation from my own playing quietly (relatively...) at home versus standing up and playing loud versus recording my bass.

[quote name='anzoid' timestamp='1485616060' post='3225337']
Yeah, not hearing a difference - and prior to listening I'd been playing my own P-bass for about an hour and wondering whether I've got everything setup right - and it sounds just like yours :D

I think that sometimes what we hear, particularly when playing at home on our own through a small amp, is a combination of what's coming out of the amp, the acoustic sound of the bass and the feel of the vibrations as you play - and the sum is (obviously) more than what you get if you're just recording the output of the bass into a soundcard or something. I think even sitting down to play can make a difference as the bass can be higher than when on a strap and that makes the normal creaks and sympathetic vibratins of the bass more prominent...

Anyway, just an observation from my own playing quietly (relatively...) at home versus standing up and playing loud versus recording my bass.
[/quote]

That seems to make a lot of sense

Hi....the only thing I can hear on the E string is where the string hits the fret....you may want to slightly improve you left had damping technique?

Other than that the strings sound fine to me.

I use TI flats which are fairly low tension and I find that because I need less effort to fret the string it cuts down the noise of the string hitting the frets.

Good luck

[quote name='markdavid' timestamp='1485652149' post='3225645']
Flatwounds often have an E that sounds different but this usually goes once the strings are broken in, if they are new/newish give them a bit longer and see if the E calms down a bit
[/quote]

Perhaps this has to do with it and that the reason it was in my head is because it was prominent when I first got the strings but the reason it can't be heard in the recording is because it's been broken in.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I think at this point I'll continue with these. Saved me 40 quid :D

I once had this problem and found that it was caused by winding the 'E' string around the post before tightening it,as this puts a twist into the string.Try inserting the end of the string into the slot first and tighten to pitch without wrapping it around the post by hand.This cured that 'twanging' sound you refer to.Worked for me anyway.Seems the 'E' string is more susceptible to this.Your strings sound fine in the video BTW.