Why become a member? ×

Pickups for a stingray based bass...

LukeFRC

So I've got a project in the planning stage that involves making my bitsa stingray a bit more playable...
Reality is that the only thing I might end up reusing is the tuners and everything else is up for grabs! What I'm aiming for is a bit more of a trad bolt on type tone compared to my other basses which are more modern sounding through necks. And I class a stingray as being in the same sonic ballpark as fender.

So I've currently got a Bartolini musicman type pickup, two coils. It's nice. Thinking of picking up a neck j and having a j/mm setup.

The Delano hybrid system looks good - any good experiences (ild go for the mm pickup in the right place)

Otherwise a splittable humbucker like a fender roscoe beck could be interesting. Or even a $$, it would probably be as easy to find another Bart mm pup as a single neck pup.

Any advice?
I guess I would also be wanting to pick stuff up secondhand

[quote name='nash' timestamp='1485528491' post='3224677']
Nordstrand.
[/quote]

^^^^^ This

Installed a Nordstrand 4.3 in a Sterling I used to have. Not that the stock pickup was bad but the Nordstrand was recommended to me.

Wow. It was fantastic. Gave the bass SOOOOOO much Pre-EB vibe.

[quote name='tonyf' timestamp='1485528713' post='3224679']

^^^^^ This

Installed a Nordstrand 4.3 in a Sterling I used to have. Not that the stock pickup was bad but the Nordstrand was recommended to me.

Wow. It was fantastic. Gave the bass SOOOOOO much Pre-EB vibe.
[/quote] hmmm and my favourite jazz pups I've heard were nordies too - this could end up being expensive!