Why become a member? ×

Hi from Welwyn!

Bob G

Hi everyone, my name is Bob Green, I'm 61 and have been playing bass since I was 15. i've had a layoff of about 15 years during which time I dedicated myself to playing the saxophone then the double bass, but now it's time to get back into the real reason why I make music, the bass guitar. Coincidentally, a friend decided he wanted some space in his flat so I have acquired, on long term loan, a couple of basses - a Squier P-bass and some kind of Yamaha, also an old Peavey 100 head and a really old Vox 2 x 15 cab. I'm just starting to really get back into it, if I can sell my double bass and a couple of saxes I will upgrade to an instrument of my choice, most likely a real Fender - I'm a traditionalist like that! I love most kinds of music, in the past I've played prog rock, punk, jazz funk, blues, indie pop/rock, psychedelic/electronic etc, even dabbled in the simpler end of the murky waters of jazz. My favourite bassists, in no particular order, are Richard Sinclair, John Wetton, Mike Howlett, Colin Moulding, Bruce Thomas, Hugh Hopper, Bill MacCormick, Holger Czukay and many others. I will quite literally listen to anything.

I expect I'll be asking a few questions, hopefully I will get some worthwhile answers, but I also look forward to just chatting and sharing with other people, it looks like a nice place here!