Why become a member? ×

Speaker Advice

Skybone

Something of a (very) minor quandary here...

I bought a 2nd hand unmatched amp & cab a while ago, because they sounded superb together IMO. However, the amp's rated at 400w, and the cab at 250w (both at 4 ohms).

It still sounds great, but, I'm a bit concerned about the speakers when the volume gets turned up, so I've been looking into alternative speakers at around 200w each, but not wanting to spend too much on them either. The Celestion BL10-200x is the most likely candidate. Anyone ever used them?

I wouldn't worry - as long as you don't put everything on 11, I'm sure you'll be fine after all, there's only 2dB difference between 250 and 400w. Don't get hung up on the numbers plus if you change the drivers then you'll change the character of the cab which may no longer be to your taste. The Celestions may not be compatible with the design of your cab too but thats a whole other kettle of fish!

What amp and cab are you posting about?

This is the problem with low rated 4 ohm cabs, if you want to play louder the usual route is to add another cab, and you can't unless our amp will run to 2.6 ohm or 2 ohm.

You should be fine as long as you don't turn the volume up. The cab could manage if you don't use a lot of volume or bass in your sound. Mids and highs won't attack the speaker as much as a big low end. You can replace the speaker but then you've changed the whole sound of the cab. So you won't know whether you still "love" it or not until after all the expense and work.

You still seem to be painted into a corner with this cab. I would replace it and get something that works out of the box.

Yep, the speakers inside the cab are what are giving the sound you like, as they`re matched to the cab itself. I`ve changed speakers and whilst it`s always worked as in able to push the cab harder, or couldn`t source another original, it`s always changed the tone. Either a completely new higher-power rated cab, or buy another identical cab. But, as above, if you use your ears carefully and don`t push the lows too hard you should be ok with the current cab on its own.

Fair enough, sounds like I'll be leaving it alone. ;)

The amp is a Hartke HA4000 (400w@ 4ohm), and the cab is a Gear4Music "RedSub" 2x10 (250w @ 4ohm).

I'll not be using the pre-amp, as I'm running a HD500x, so I'll be using the "Return Post" socket on the rear panel & using the volume on the HD.